Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Illusion Blue Rune has been sitting alone in my garage for months, and I have this urge to get it some company. I have some ideas of what I like, but I wanted to get some opionions from the group. You guys have all shown to have good taste in bikes, and I need to some suggestions.

I am not limiting myself, but some of the bikes I have considered are the Honda ST and the BMW K1200 LT. I want something for longer distances, more creature comforts, and which allows for my wife to go on a ride with me.

Any and all comments are greatly sought out and appreciated. I hope my Rune knows I'm not cheating on her, just looking for someone to keep her company in the garage during the week. :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
what to buy next

GL 1800 Gold Wing the best bike you will ride a long way with no prolbems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I own a Rune and a 2001 GL1800 Gold Wing. In my opinion the Wing is the best touring bike you can buy. It has good power (the same engine as your Rune), performs in the twisties exceptionally well and has ample storage space for long trips. There are all types of accessories available to enhance the touring and riding experience and it is as comfortable as a convertible auto but much more fun.

For two up touring, the Wing is the way to go!

Click below for pics of each:
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=22315&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDh...iUOhlNZSg/PICT0065.TIF?dc=4675416985702425652

·
Registered
49 Posts
Zakato, The 1800 Goldwing is the best looking and best cruising cruiser you will find. They get along famously because they have a lot in common. Get a Wing. ( no regrets) Ed

G

·
Rune mate

I have a 03 ST1300 and every time I'm with a Goldwinger they lust after my ST and I for their Wing. I've never driven a Wing so I can't compare the two but the Wing looks comfy but tubby. The ST handles low and high speed twisties like the Rune could never dream of, and with the Honda trunk it has plenty of storage. To be on the safe side let your wife choose, she is the person you have to please on this decision. I think you will be happy with her pick.
Larry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Next?

Zakato

When I bought my '03 Wing (Illusion Blue) I couldn't believe how well it handled - fast, nimble, great creature comforts - stay dry & have tunes and cruise ctrl etc.

When my wife got on (and she's only 125 lbs) I had to get used to it being top heavy all of a sudden for me ... but I didn't let her on very often ~ so that solved that for a while.

If you are a 29" inseam or longer it is a fantastic ride. If youre shorter you can take out some seat foam - there's plenty to spare. :D

NH Bill
8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am grateful for everyone's input. The Goldwing seems to be a favorite of the group, but I have to admit I was looking for something lighter, and that is why I like the ST 1300. Sports bikes are not my thing.

I am going to look at both the Wing and the ST very closely. The BMW is just too much dough for what you get. Finally, please don't kill me, but the Yamaha FJR 1300 is pretty cool too. Saving about 260 pounds in weight is really appealing right about now.

I will do my research, and let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm the odd man out here, as usual. A friend of mine has the BMW LT,
hands down the most comfortable bike I've ridden to date. It'll run with the GW and handles twisties better. Very unique fairing.
Everybody rides the GW, blah,blah,blah. The BMW is just as good quality if not better.
If your choices are the GW or the ST, ST because it's the closest bike honda has to a BMW.

·
Registered
692 Posts
GW and 1200 BMW

Hi,
as already reported j tested the BMW 1200 4 cilinders.

no competition, GW is the best. if you load weight on BMW 1200 you have a lot of problems in mouving from any stop.
have a riding test with a passenger on boths bikes (better in the town).
ciao
Hannibal
p.s.
j am getting a GW in january for long trips.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:?: Am I wierd in that I dont understand why yall dont think the Rune is a long distance bike?????
Longest I went was 4,500 miles (gosh that was fun
getting 22 mpg while going 110 with a headwind and tumbleweeds in Kansas/Colorado!!).

Hmm, ok, I have not yet gotten on a GW and ridden one.

But, with my corbin heated seat, fairing, and a decent backpack, hmm and NO radio. I think I will just spend any
extra credit limit (money) on more ba-blinggggg from Tom. Oh, and Runeski: I really need to get your sidecovers.
I have seen enuf pics to show that the uglyguts should be shrouded.
Ken (23,400 miles)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken,

You make a good point, but rather than convert my Rune for long distance riding (seats, wind screen, etc.), I would rather have a second bike. Dude, you are killing my argument to the wife. :wink: I NEED to get a second bike.

Thanks for the continued input.

·
Registered
692 Posts
long Rune trips

Hi,
may be j am one who get the longest trip in one day.
Vienna - my town = 1.180 km
as passenger my wife
all highway.
the seat was very new and not yet confortable.
we left around 10.00 am and arrival 18.00.
this bike is for enjoying and riding. it is not a cruiser.
ciao
hannibal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hanibal. I agree with you. I don't think the Rune was designed for anything more than 50-60 miles at a time, especially with the factory seat.

Hanibal. Sono d'accordo con voi. Non penso che il Rune sia stato progettato per qualche cosa più di 50-60 miglia alla volta, particolarmente con la sede della fabbrica.

The Google Translate Tool is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Aw Gee, you guys are wimps!!! However, any valid excuse to get another bike is not an excuse. I should trade in my V-Star for a GW!

Hannibal: I am sorry but on my trip to/return from Denver Colorado I rode 950 miles in 1 day. That is 1480 kM. 8)
ken

G

·
Zakato
Do your research on the FJR1300. My dealer for Yamaha tells me that the FJR has severe heat issues. Gas tanks that get so hot in summer that they can't be touched. Very hot on calves and generally unrideable if you live in a warm climate. I live in Florida and have a friend with a FJR (03)
that can't take it's heat during the summer months so he rides his Wing.
There is a FJR site, check out what the owners have to say.
Larry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Larry,

Thanks for the heads up. In my neck of the woods, it is 90 degrees plus for most of the late summer and early fall. You are right, I will have to do more research. Good point.

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Ken,
Do your self a favor and test ride a Wing. If you ride long distances on the rune you will NEVER get off the Wing. I made that mistake. I am undecided if I should get the Black Cherry or the Pearl Yellow :roll:
Gene and I rode our Runes 590 miles to Ohio in 9.5 hrs. from N.J last July. We both had Ultimate seats.
Ride On --
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts