Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently sold my 08 VTX1800 Neo and I am now looking for my dream bike. Many, many concerns on what to look for when shopping. I`ve been doing my best to gain some info sifting thru the pages on the forum here. What really concerns me are some of the issues these bikes have here and there . Especially with the availability of parts, and finding a dealership that will work on a bike nearly 20 years old. I DO NOT want to buy a duck and have it just sit in the garage. Not to mention be out a good bit of $$$. Some of the issues I`ve come accross in a short time reading.. BBS, stuck high idle that pulls down the road, growling/knocking from tranny area, alternator bearings, final drive issues, having to replace throttle body, ecm, iac, etc etc... As we all know when buying a bike, you cant really give it a good run in without cash in hand and its basically yours at that point. So, any tips on what to lookout for and listen for? I believe I am leaning more towards an 05 because it already has B bars and chrome.... and hopefully some of the bugs worked out. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"-max amount you're willing to spend on a Rune
-what color, bars, wheels you want
-if you're willing to travel for the bike and what distance, or if shipping is OK

the big one in my opinion

-the bike's history! Owner(s), alterations if any, add-ons, damage-if so, was it fixed correctly, bike serviced by owner or dealership. Bike stored? If so, was it done correctly, verify mileage best you can. See if the owner is known by the board membership, it's an easy way to get a feel for the owner and bike.

Bikes/Vehicles that are made more than one model year generally all have improvements or updated parts from the last year to the newer model year, doesn't mean the prior year's model has problems.

Most individuals don't join a forum like this one to state that their Rune is problem free, instead far too many individuals only join/post to get help with a problem they may have or think they have, which in turn can make it look like Rune's all have problems.

Afghanpilot posted, "I’ve never had a single mechanical issue." That is the same for mine. As I would think is the case for the vast majority of Rune owners. It is a Honda, after all.

I believe you'll find the problems/concerns you list are limited. The TPS (BBS/Throttle body is an easy fix) so is the ECM, vehicles/bikes have problems, that's the way it goes. When a bike/vehicle has a problem, you fix it.

Parts, it's a bike at the 20-year-old point, it's no different than most any other 20-year-old vehicle/bike.

If you buy a bike with extras you don't want, sell them off to gain back some of the cost. Rune extras are hard to impossible to find these days, so they are in demand by others at times.

Dealership, if you need a dealership for service work or some other reason, post where you're located and ask if there are any members are in the area and who they use or recommend.

FAR TOO MANY OF THE PROBLEMS INDIVIDUALS HAVE/HAD WITH THE RUNE CAN BE TRACED BACK TO HOW THE RUNE WAS CARED FOR OR THE LACK OF PROPER CARE."

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just recently sold my 08 VTX1800 Neo and I am now looking for my dream bike. Many, many concerns on what to look for when shopping. I`ve been doing my best to gain some info sifting thru the pages on the forum here. What really concerns me are some of the issues these bikes have here and there . Especially with the availability of parts, and finding a dealership that will work on a bike nearly 20 years old. I DO NOT want to buy a duck and have it just sit in the garage. Not to mention be out a good bit of $$$. Some of the issues I`ve come accross in a short time reading.. BBS, stuck high idle that pulls down the road, growling/knocking from tranny area, alternator bearings, final drive issues, having to replace throttle body, ecm, iac, etc etc... As we all know when buying a bike, you cant really give it a good run in without cash in hand and its basically yours at that point. So, any tips on what to lookout for and listen for? I believe I am leaning more towards an 05 because it already has B bars and chrome.... and hopefully some of the bugs worked out. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
HI Robert, I had 3 Runes now down to 2. It is a little scary buying a bike like this because of parts availability etc.Keep in mind its a Honda and they have always been reliable. The motor is basically the same as the one on the Goldwing and their reliability is rock solid. My concerns are more around the "Body Parts" which may be more difficult to find if damaged. The thing to keep in mind is these bikes are an investment. I have seen a 2K per year price increase try and find that on any other bike or even a 401K:) I sold my Black one year and a half ago for 19k and now want to buy one in each color and can't find a Black or Blue near that price unless I want to add 1K in transport. As far as what to look for...The chrome pkg is extremely desirable, I like a bike with a few miles on it (500-1000 per year) running them keeps seals moist and things moving. Check the gas tank to make sure they don't have corrosion in them or if they were lined. The foot brake may feel a little low not a big deal as you may have seen in the many articles written here. If the exhaust is not stock make sure you get the stock one. Tires are a little scarce but there are several options out there. In short, I don't think I would buy a Rune for an everyday bike mainly because my Goldwing has more storeage and the comforts of a touring bike but if you want to drive a work of art-Buy a Rune. The first one I bought for its looks alone the second and third because it is an awesome machine

·
Registered
19 Posts
"For some reason, some like to use the term "package or pkg" when it comes to the Rune. That word doesn't apply to the Rune, the Rune was never offered with a package(s)/pkg. The OPTIONS for the Rune were/are very limited, to color, wheel option, bar option and that's for the 04, 05's were more limited. Depending on where you're located and just what options and color you are looking for, there are some differences between 04/05, like the HONDA on rear fender is a sticker/decal for 04 and chrome letters for 05, 04's have a two-piece pivot cover, while 05's have a one piece. Canada Runes got a tool kit, state side didn't. Canada Runes came with spec47 or painted wheels, a headlight bucket with a pair of plugs on the sides. Rune comes in a California version with the required emissions shit to meet the state requirements.

When I buy a Rune (one not for the parts) it must have the VIN STICKER either on the bike or supplied with the bike (some removed them and stored them away to keep them in good shape, like under the seat in owner's manual), the number stamped in the neck is the frame number, while it should match the VIN STICKER NUMBER, it is not the VIN and the VIN sticker contains more information.

Enough Runes by now have been altered with bar swaps from A to B or from forward set to rearward set, spec 47 or painted wheels have been chromed, or spec 47 wheels have been replaced with chrome ones. The VIN will tell you how the bike left the assembly plant in Ohio, the Rune is not a MADE IN THE USA bike like some like to think. It's simply assembled in OHIO.

The Rune being as old as it is. It was specced out and parts made long ago, enough so, that ethanol fuel is not a Rune's friend. If the bike is being used on a regular basis that's one thing. If it's parked or stored for a time I would not use ethanol fuel. Keeping the tank full or near fuel can help reduce possible problems when parked/stored.

Engine foundation is based on the Goldwing, but it's so different or so much more. Compare the same year GOLDWING parts fiche to the RUNE's part fiche and you'll see the differences are many."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to reply. I appreciate all the info and agree completely on all accounts. I do understand these forums are where most seek help and advice with particular problems. I was just trying to do some homework in a short period of time... to see what common problems folks have had with the bikes.That way I have some knowledge when talking with owners. I have narrowed down to blue or black. Rear (B) bars, chrome package would be nice but not a deal breaker. J in the vin or model ending EB. Im located in Columbia, SC. I`ve dealt with Carolina Honda here in Columbia, when I had my valves checked on the ole 1800. I would feel more comfortable with a bike thats seen some miles and enjoyed rather than sitting. Sitting is not good. Plus, higher miles usually brings the price down a bit. I`m a solo rider 100% of the time. Hour or two a few times a week after work and 4 - 6 hours on a Saturday. I do like to ride to work when the weather is just right. There is one local (hour or so) from me, but it has the forward bars. The right one will come along Im sure. Shipping is not out of the question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts