Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm love struck and am willing to modify my Rune to let my lady ride with me. I plan on going into Corbin and have a one off 2 up seat made similar to my current Corbin seat. So the question is passenger pegs.

I found several threads on the board and it seems that the two options are Rivco or Danny Hydes rear pegs; Hannibal's seem nice but I have side covers installed. Both Danny's and Rivco's got good reviews and Danny's look nicer but I am concerned about clearance for the exhaust. My lady is 5'8" and wears a size 9 womans boot. I know both products are good but some real world experience would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
Steven, just to show you what a dear and generous person I am
I’m prepared to save you the expense of equipping your Rune for two-up riding.

Just send your sweet lady from Sunnyvale to Sunny Florida
and I’ll give her a ride on my two-up equipped Rune.

As bad as I ride she’ll never want to get on one again.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Steven

Steven,

As an alternative You could consider giving the woman of your dreams a driverlicence for riding and assign her Your VTX :idea: - Or are you foreseeing problems about that SHE want to ride the Rune, and You will be "assigned" the VTX :?:

- As I see your website You have BOTH a Corbin Dual Touring seat AND a Corbin Dual seat with backrests, and rear passenger pegs, on the VTX, too :!: Should't that be sufficient :?: - Are You sure that the erousement is not preventing You from thinking clear and straight about this issue :?:

- Perhaps Chuck (with his 5 ex-wifes) have some experience on this issue he will share with you .... :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your Lady

I have a corbin seat (dual) with one backrest for her (I can lean against her)...
I also put on the RIVCO floorboards. Use a professional machine shop when drilling into the side panels. Rivco sends you beautiful set of floorboards, they also send you a small sawblade.
yea right, I was not going to saw into my side panels and risk the chrome flaking off....
The machine shop charged me $40 total and it was a perfect job.

End result, the bike looks great, my wife is happy and your Lady will be too.

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
I'm using Texas Danny's rear pegs
They look great and were very easy to install (no drilling)
The one thing I noticed though is when I'm backing up or turning real sharp with my feet down (parking lot style) my legs hit the pegs if they are down.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
John I experience the same situation when backing up, but it’s not a problem.

What I like about the design of mine is that the passenger’s foot never gets near any chrome.
What I don’t like about my pegs it that they stick up in the air and conflict with sleek lines of the Rune.
I intend to visit my local Harley Davidson Dealer and look for some round pegs that can be mounted in a rearward direction.
The pegs in the photo have a definite top and bottom so the can’t be pointed backwards.

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Chuck,
My wife is 5'2" with a size 5 foot so she doesn't get near the chrome and being we've been married for 29 years I have no use for other females on the back of my bike. They can't cook, clean, run my office, due my taxes, pay my bills and take care of me as well as my wife does.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RuneMan, nope the solo seat stays with me because I will do some solo riding well into the future.

Hannibal, looking at your (Chucks mounts) Galileo mounts I see that they do not interfere with the side covers, but they are way too high for my Lady.

Chuck, have you thought about making the bracket more horizontal so the peg would be closer to the level of the pivot cover?

The tip on having a machine shop do the drilling for Rivco is a good point, but I'm not crazy about the floor board so I would have to be able to use a standard peg (Kuryakyn or other brand) on their mount. Does anyone know if the Rivco mount will accept a standard peg?

I like Danny's design and may go with that but I will wait for more words of wisdom from you guys.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
LOV2KRZ

No, what you see is what will be.

The bracket I have was designed by a member, whose name I can’t recall, and his Dealer, Noblesville Honda, had one made for him. I liked it and asked Noblesville Honda to make a set for me. I don’t know where the member’s idea came from but I have a suspicion it may have come from hannibal. As I recall hannibal was the first to come up with an idea for Galileo passenger peg, I may be wrong but I think he beat Rivco to the punch.

Last night I saw a Rune with the Rivco foot platform. They certainly looked fine, but to my thinking they are just appear too big, and I don’t like the idea of cutting a hole in the side. They do fold up nicely though and I can understand where the ones I have may not be to everyone’s liking.

Just tonight a nice lady was kind enough to place her cute little hinny on my two-up Corbin butt cradle. We went to a classic car showing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is just more proof that a woman can cause us to lose our minds! :twisted:
This is the exact reason I didn't trade in my 99 2-UP Valk!
The thought of covering that beautiful Rune rear fender saddens me!
Another one bites the dust! :D Solo Runer forever!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Footpegs

I installed the Rivco footboards myself.... hole saw in drill press... worked fine. Installed in a couple hours being VERY careful. I'm sure all the different footpegs and boards are very good. I wouldn't trade my Rivco's. An added feature of the Rivco's is when you drop them at high speed they work like wings and you can just fly to your destination. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Steve

I have the Rivco product. My wife is 5'9" and wears a size 9 woman’s shoe. She preferred the large foot print the Rivco product offers for foot support. Your lady friend will be in a upright position, and having a solid surface under her feet seems to be more comfortable then her foot hanging on a peg. This was my wife’s opinion. The Foot boards have rubber grips built in, and she experienced no slide, and did not find her foot off of the foot board when we encountered bumps. What is also nice is that if you do not want to use them, you can take them off, and screw in the round chrome caps, that look very nice, and somewhat stock. The foot boards also fold upward if you do not want to remove them.

Hope this helps.

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
HogSlayer:

It didn’t take a purchase of a Rune for men to loose their minds over a women,
I’ve been crazy about them since I was ten, and that started five years ago.

I agree with you 100%, I think the Rune looks best with no two-up seat, no back rest, no glove box, no one from New Jersey,
no passenger accommodations, no Corbin wind deflector,
no saddle bags, no bubble butt rear fender and no WindVest.

My riding is almost always a natural, only the WindVest and that is because I’m a pussy...................... I’m scared of :22yikes: bugs!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yo SiteData,
Yo aint no pussy, because I lived in Florida for 10 years. There are milions of lovebugs. They taste like crap. I know.

And, those dang june bugs... they hit harder than a .45ACP hardball!!!
And, did you ever run into a stupid pigeon???? Well, that gets your attention. I have a love/hate relationship with my Corbin bug destructor. (note i did not say deflector, because they are definitely still there when I have to wash my Rune)

ken (aka, Creepy to my biker club buddies) ( 27,000 miles)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I guess if havin a windvest makes ya a wussy then I 'm one, but I tell ya what, the day when I came over a rise at about 90mph and blasted thru a flock of birds and the rune and I took 5-7 direct hits and we were both covered in bird shit I was glad I had that windvest to duck my head behind! :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chuck, the Galileo Pegs were Hannibal's Idea. I may have a bracket made similar to the adapter you have but will have that done in a few weeks.

Skibum, I called Danny Hyde to order his brackets, I can get them in couple of days and make a fast trip to Corbin so have the seat made. My passenger pegs on my VTX also hit me in the back of the leg but they fold up when not in use.

Douyon, Rivco's are nice, got a chance to see them but they are just to big and a little high for Becky (that's my ladies name), and didn't know about taking the floorboard coming off and covering with a cap.

Hogslayer, you are correct. The woman has melted my brain but I haven't felt this way in a very long time so if the Rune gets a two up look some of the time its OK. The VTX will be used for long rides and I can still convert it back to single rider any time.

John DK, Becky isn't interested in riding herself, she prefers to rub my back when riding and looking at the landscapes. She is also blind in one eye so driving would be a real issue for her.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight, great humor and friendship.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Allmost the same experience as HogSlayer

HogSlayer,

Allmost 30 years ago I had nearly the same experience as you, it must have been in ´77 og ´78 ...

I had a Honda CB 750 K6 at that time, and I was a university student studyding for my Bachelor in Economics, and I was working my a** off to afford the bike while studying. I worked at a cement factory from 5.00 AM every morning till I should meet for lessons at the University.

I had at that time a girlfriend - my buddies called her "the Bakers Virgin" - in one of the coast cities on the Island called Funen (Fyn in danish), while I was living in the middle of the island (living in the middle, sleeping at the coast, you know)

Every morning in the summer at 4.00 AM I rode from the coast to the middle of the island to go to work at the cement factory, no cars on the roads, and enjoying the sun rise every morning.

One morning a sea gull sitting sleeping on the road got in my way and took a hit on my left shoulder at I think 150 km/h. The hit pressed my left hand off the handlebar, and the pressure from the hit did me pulling strongly in the right handlebar, and the next split second I was sitting correct again on the bike with both hands on the bars, but on a wobling bike at approx 130 - 140 km/t - and allmost ended in the ditch ...

The speed was significantly lower on that route every morning long time after that experince, that was not funny at all ...

The next year I traded the CB 750 K6 in for a GL 1000 LTD with full Vetter equipment (Windjammer SS, sadlle bags, topbox and stereo) in mathing colours, and I had to work even harder - but haven't had "use" for the Windjammer windscreen in that way ever since ....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts