Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished changing a rear tire on the Wing, and noticed the rear tire on the Rune was flat too. Which led me to remember it's been "a while" since I logged in here.
Sad to see that Chuck has left us (RIP, man), and so has Lyn-Del. John and Connie - condolences on your daughter.

The Rune has been a garage queen for most of 2 years now ... too busy with RVing in the winter and boating in the summer (we spend most of 6 months on the houseboat and 6 months in the motorhome - if possible). I usually have the Wing along at the lake for quick trips to get milk and beer; and I have a lift on the back of the RV to carry the Wing ... so the Rune just sits in the shop and gathers dust.
But, I decided that I would go for a ride ... until I checked that flat tire. Aired it up, and next morning back to flat. Time for soap spray. Leaking bead beside the shraeder valve. So scratch my head and try to remember how to remove the rear wheel. After some wrenching and much cursing, got the wheel off and over to the tire changer to break the bead. Huh!
Nice expensive chrome wheel with a 5 inch wide patch of flaked chrome and corrosion defeating a good bead seal. White powdery corrosion patch. Good thing I wasn't planning to ride the Rune today!
Time for some more head scratching.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Geez Pete; shuda paid more attention on Aug 28, 2014:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I don't remember you breaking a sweat removing the back wheel then...

I assume you mean the chrome is flaking only on the invisible part of the rim (with the tire mounted). Should be pretty easy to clean that up.

You coulda sent sent me a plane ticket...

Miss ya, buddy

skip

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geez Pete; shuda paid more attention on Aug 28, 2014:

View attachment 21565

I don't remember you breaking a sweat removing the back wheel then...

I assume you mean the chrome is flaking only on the invisible part of the rim (with the tire mounted). Should be pretty easy to clean that up.

You coulda sent sent me a plane ticket...

Miss ya, buddy

skip
hi Skip.
Yep, my first thought was on that tire shop you found ... but as I recall, you did most of the wrenching. Heh.
Yes, the chrome flaked on the inside wall of the rim. I used a copper brush and plastic chisel to clean it as well as I could, vacuumed out as much of the debris as possible, and used dish soap as a lube. Aired her up and, of course, it was still blowing bubbles ... but ... let it sit overnight and it's holding air. I'll give it another day and if it's still at 40psi, I'll remount and take a ride up the mountain to test it.
Miss you and the rest of the rally crew too ... we had many a good time!

pete

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
Finished changing a rear tire on the Wing, and noticed the rear tire on the Rune was flat too. Which led me to remember it's been "a while" since I logged in here.
Sad to see that Chuck has left us (RIP, man), and so has Lyn-Del. John and Connie - condolences on your daughter.

The Rune has been a garage queen for most of 2 years now ... too busy with RVing in the winter and boating in the summer (we spend most of 6 months on the houseboat and 6 months in the motorhome - if possible). I usually have the Wing along at the lake for quick trips to get milk and beer; and I have a lift on the back of the RV to carry the Wing ... so the Rune just sits in the shop and gathers dust.
But, I decided that I would go for a ride ... until I checked that flat tire. Aired it up, and next morning back to flat. Time for soap spray. Leaking bead beside the shraeder valve. So scratch my head and try to remember how to remove the rear wheel. After some wrenching and much cursing, got the wheel off and over to the tire changer to break the bead. Huh!
Nice expensive chrome wheel with a 5 inch wide patch of flaked chrome and corrosion defeating a good bead seal. White powdery corrosion patch. Good thing I wasn't planning to ride the Rune today!
Time for some more head scratching.
Good to see you still have your priorities right (y) :love:

I talk to a Ham Radio operator in Mena AR a few times a month. I always think of you when I talk to him..............

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ham is something that has been on my bucket list, but juggling way too many things to get to it yet, Tim. I know we have an active Ham group here ... donated a whole trailer full of computers and electronics to them last year (cleaning out my shop).

Looks like I need to pull the tire off the rim to fix the leak. I cleaned the problem patch but there is still a very slow leak - about 1 psi overnight. Guess I'll pop the tire off and grind that patch down and hit it with a good epoxy coating. Sounds better than sending the wheel to be rechromed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts