Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the suggestion of Skibum................ if there is anyone interested in seeing what a Rune looks like with colored LED pods on it :shock: then your welcome to check out my gallery through the link below. :lol:
Feedback is also welcome.

Diver Dave

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Guess I'll have to get my butt in gear and get mine wired up (going all red)
I was going to take off work until mid March, but...... I got conned into taking on another project today :banghead: .
I wish I wasn't such a money whore but when you live in NJ you got to have lots of the green. :money1:
I don't trust anyone with my baby or I'd have them installed
Oh well one more thing on my list.
I've got a girl friend on Vashon island outside Seattle. She's been buging us to come out for a visit so.......maybe I'll be out your way later in the year. I still have to drive through one of your trees (been on my list for awhile)

·
Jersey Boy
2,807 Posts
Dan,
Looks GOOD. I installed kurykayn red spider lights. Rear fender, 2 each side (facing down,I had to make brackets that attach under the fender) 1 light under each of the Rune Ski side covers. I made a bracket to attach to the engine that the light attaches to.This way the light shines out and and towards the inside of the side cover,looks cool with the light coming out of the louvers. I also polished the "inside" of the side cover so the light reflects a bit more. From there I went foward and attached 2 each side under the long chrome side covers, between the gas tank and the engine valve covers(facing down ). I then attached 2 under the steering neck and above the radiator cowling . I only have 12 installed so far.
Dan,how did you route the wires so they would not be seen to wire the lights under the front fender? Did you run them with the brake lines?
Thanks,
Rich k ( Rune Ski )
Go to it John ( Skibum)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drive through one of our trees?

Jezzzzz John, if you drive though one of our trees I sure hope you go slowly. Wouldn't want to see you rub the paint off your Rune.

Sounds like your girlfriend or girl friend :D live just a little drive and a short ferry ride from me. That'd be great to meet up with another Rune over here. I only know of one other guys locally here with one and we haven't had a chance to ride together.
Let me know if the ride over comes about.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LED wires

Hey Rich;

First off I need to correct you a little. It's DIVER DAVE, not Dan. But thanks anyway for the sudo name 8)
The wires that I have going to the fork assembly ( four seperate pods)and then down to the front fender inside (6 pods) are covered with a chrome looking wire wrap spiral covering. It's flexable and it twists around the wires like stuff you might use to keep all of your speaker wires in a home stereo together with. Take a really hard look at the picture marked LEDS6 in my gallery. You'll see some lines that's aren't stock running up the forks and also with the brake lines down below. They are held onto the brake lines using chromed zip ties, so they look like just another brake line almost. I ended up using 24 pods total on my bike. It's kind of cool because you can only run 16 pods off of one transformer so I have two seperate transformers. Each transformer can run it's set of LEDs steady or I can make them flash with an adjustable flash speed.
I can post some daylight shots if you want of the wire covers up close. Let me know.
I've just posted a picture in my gallery what the pods looks like up close in the dark. They are blue and red LED's which combine for a purple glow. Maybe this will help

·
Registered
172 Posts
DIVER DAVE:

Your night shots are excellent.

I have found that the hidden lights on my bike were extremely difficult to photograph. I used red LED stripes installed behind the chrome fuel injector covers under the tank and in the open area just behind the injector covers. I also installed them under the rear fender on each side to illuminate the wheel and under the bottom outside edge of the gas tank. The red LED's really look HOT on my black cherry Rune.

I like especially the LED effect that you have installed in the front fork areas and the front wheel. I need to add lighting in these areas also.

Diver Dave said:
.... I can post some daylight shots if you want of the wire covers up close. Let me know.
I would be interested in seeing your daylight pics of the installation. Also where did you obtain the wiring covers?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take some daytime shots tommorrow

I'll take some day shots of it tommorrow. I had the LED job installed for me, but I can give you the name and number of the shop that did it so you can order the chrome wire cover stuff for the wires and the chrome zip ties. I figured it would be worth it have them grunt and groan for a few bucks, plus if they scratched her, that'd be there problem and not mine :lol: It ended up taking them 14 hours of Labor with two guys to do it all!!!!!! The guys says "he lost his shirt on my Rune and would never touch another one as long as he lives" He bid it at 8 hours and that's what I paid him up front for. Lesson learned I guess. I try to tell everyone that this bike it different and more difficult to work on/with ,but some people just think I'm unknowledgable about it because I haven't been doing motorcycle repair/work for years, and let their egos get in the way when the quote things for this bike. The Rune truly is different then the rest.

If you want to capture the lights on your bike, you'll need to use a 35MM camera that allows you to hold open the shutter for about 10 secs or more to absorb the light. This means you'll need to use a tripod and preferably a remote or corded unit that you can press and hold away from the camera to take the picture. If you hold it open on the camera itself, there's a good chance of moving the camera a tiny bit which would blur the shot. I used 200 speed film in the photos you see which I had that night but today I bought 800 speed which is the best for low light conditions. I'll take some more shots tommorrow on the 800 film and see if it helps out more on the clarity of film graininess.
Let me know if this helps

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daytime shots

Hey Runeman

I took some more shots today for you. Look in my gallery and you'll see shots of the wire covers. I also put on my brakeaway throttle lock today. I'm the first one to ever have the black and chrome version from the company. I think it looks pretty good on the Rune.

Let me know if you need more pics.

DD

·
Administrator
6,931 Posts
Diver Dave....go to your profile...and edit the signature part....and seperate the word "at" from your URL to see your photos. Right now, your URL link has "athttp" instead of just "http". It don't work! Get the "at" seperated out of their and clicking the link will work.

·
Swamp Rat
6,991 Posts
Driver Dave, I see you’ve mastered placing a photo in the signature section of your posts. I hope you will not share this new found expertise with anyone from New Jersey. I fear someone will start posting pictures of their grandchildren!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kuryakin Red Spider Lights

The red lights are too dim, you will need ALOT of them if you want your bike to light up bright. I just got done doing mine. I put 8 lights total, & its just not enough. 2 on each side, 2 in front and 2 in the back. They are simply not bright enough.
Im going to buy some blue ones to lighten them up, so it will be more purple in some spots and red in others.
I knew they were cheaper for some reason.
Will post pics at a later date.
JEFF

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andre;

Give a guy named Larry a call at 253-588-8155 in Tacoma, Washington.
He did my LED's for me at his motorcycle shop a few months ago. He said he'd never touch another Rune in his life after working on mine, but I'm sure he'll give you the info on the LED's that he used in terms or company supplier info and costs. Let me know how it works out. I also did a long post on my LED install on a different thread on here. Look up my history of posts in my profile thing and search around and you'll get more info from it that I wrote on my personal experience. Hope this helps.

Diver Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.