Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm curious about obtaining a Plate to assist in lifting my 2004 Rune. I believe there were at least 2 types available. The first model I remember seeing was yellow in color and built with angle iron as I recall.

Then more recently, I believe someone was building Rune Lift/Skid Plates that could be left on the bike permanently (should you choose to do so) which were more aesthetically pleasing and had Rune cut i(n script font) in the plate itself.

Can anyone tell me how to contact the individual who was making the later model and/or if they are still available? What was the cost of these Lift/Skip Plates if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your help and I really appreciate your time.

STL Rune Rider (Bob)

· Administrator
7,023 Posts
Just one word of caution I always mention when I hear someone talking about putting a plate on the bottom of their Rune....AND LEAVING IT ON ALL THE TIME. At the Rune Rally one year in Erwin, a person (Tigerpawse from GA) had a skid plate on his Rune that stayed on all the time. He went to load his bike (riding it on the ramp as he had in the past) on his trailer to depart....and apparently there was a bit more slope where he was loading than perhaps he had encountered at his home when loading in the past. The result.....was disastrous. It cracked his block. He wasn't a happy camper. I only bring this up because the Rune has LESS clearance than most bikes.....stock. Ad a skid plate, and just be aware, you have even LESS clearance. I've hit (gently) the bottom/block of my Rune engine on both our Runes (back when we owned two) when loading on my trailer. Even though I'd carefully "walk" the bike up the ramp.....WITHOUT sitting on the bike (to lesson compression of the shocks), still....with any loading under conditions other than ABSOLUTELY level ground.....it would hit. I'd have to walk it back down and seek out a board to put under the end of the ramp to lesson the angle of the ramp even more. On my other bikes....like my Valks....I've NEVER had that issue. But this bike has LESS clearance.

Just keep that in mind. You might not trailer....or might not ever encounter an issue with clearance. But I have....but was always VERY careful and never did any damage. I couldn't put a skid plate on mine....I trailer it too much. As many times as I've hit "bottom" with the bike stock, I can only imagine the issues I'd have with even less clearance caused by a skid plate mounted on there!

I have the yellow one ...by the way, and very much like it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RedValk so very much for your words of caution. I really appreciate it.

I hadn't planned on attaching the skid/lift plate permanently to my Rune but rather I was just attempting to use it as a descriptor to differentiate between the two lift plates that I knew existed.

No matter how much more aesthetically pleasing the later skid/lift plate model may be, I would never attach something like that to my Rune permanently....not just from a further decreasing of the already incredibly low ground clearance standpoint (as you mentioned) but also from a position of I wouldn't add something that could potentially "rattle & clang" on my bike.

The Honda engineers went to great lengths to make this bike smooth as silk and free of extraneous noise one might hear in a 1984 Chrysler K Car and I plan on keeping my Rune the machine it was designed to be. :):)

Thanks again and I hope you have a great evening.

· Registered
375 Posts
Some of the Honda engineers must have missed the memo, because it doesn't matter how smooth a bike is said to be if the damn oem seat sucks and is only good for 50 miles. They also missed when it comes to noise, the clang/clung of the badly designed shock/cushion is annoying. Far to many have had problems with both items.

· Administrator
7,023 Posts
Some of the Honda engineers must have missed the memo, because it doesn't matter how smooth a bike is said to be if the damn oem seat sucks and is only good for 50 miles. They also missed when it comes to noise, the clang/clung of the badly designed shock/cushion is annoying. Far to many have had problems with both items.
Exactly....about a 50 mile seat. I know some ride theirs with OEM seats further, and my hat goes off to them....as they must truly be Iron Butts to accomplish that!

· Registered
287 Posts
I've done Portland, OR to Reno, NV in one day several times which is 600 miles on my Corbin seat and arrived in good shape. Got my moneys worth out of that bad boy for sure.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm curious about obtaining a Plate to assist in lifting my 2004 Rune. I believe there were at least 2 types available. The first model I remember seeing was yellow in color and built with angle iron as I recall.

Then more recently, I believe someone was building Rune Lift/Skid Plates that could be left on the bike permanently (should you choose to do so) which were more aesthetically pleasing and had Rune cut i(n script font) in the plate itself.

Can anyone tell me how to contact the individual who was making the later model and/or if they are still available? What was the cost of these Lift/Skip Plates if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your help and I really appreciate your time.

STL Rune Rider (Bob)

View attachment 21123

View attachment 21122

· Registered
1,080 Posts
(back to the off-topic seat comments) Tim ... I did the first 2 rallies with the stock saddle ... 760 miles from MI to Erwin. But I was happy to move up to the Ultimate.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had the yellow one and after changing the tires took the bike for a test ride. When I got back i realized the plate was still attached. being a sailor in the Navy and working on aircraft all pins had flags attached to the equipment. i contacted the seller and he sent out flags to all owners of the yellow lift plate. When Tony came up with the skid plate I ditched the yellow plate. I have made at least a half dozen trips to the Rune Rally and have had no problems leaving the skid plate on. I have over 120000 miles on the bike. Still running great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts