Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. The title says it all, I lost the keys to my Rune. After looking into replacing them and reading up here it seems like the only move it to get a new ecu and pair new keys. I am having a hell of a time finding one. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to look or know any potential alternatives?

· Registered
77 Posts
Howdy all. The title says it all, I lost the keys to my Rune. After looking into replacing them and reading up here it seems like the only move it to get a new ecu and pair new keys. I am having a hell of a time finding one. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to look or know any potential alternatives?
Just ordered a spare ECU and keys from Partzilla, keys they had but
ECU was placed on back-order ETA 21 Dec. Revzilla was cheaper but would not let me order either because they were both out of stock

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Unless I recall incorrectly, in order to program new keys to a new ECU, you first have to insert one of the original keys to begin the process of the HSS accepting the new keys. That may prove difficult since the OP states he has lost both keys.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless I recall incorrectly, in order to program new keys to a new ECU, you first have to insert one of the original keys to begin the process of the HSS accepting the new keys. That may prove difficult since the OP states he has lost both keys.
That is what happened. All keys lost. So, what you are saying is that the new ECU won’t recognize or accept a new key?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what happened. All keys lost. So, what you are saying is that the new ECU won’t recognize or accept a new key?
This is from another post on pairing keys. Response by Rune~Gearhead
“The new ecu comes in a standby mode, once the two new keys are paired/registered with the new ecu by way of the ignition switch the ecu will move to the normal mode. The process for this doesn't require the use of the harness/special tool.”

· Registered
75 Posts
I lost the keys to my Rune. get a new ecu and pair new keys.
"(y)

Use VIN and the key code from under fuel cap (if you didn't record the key code someplace) to get the correct
ECM and correct pair of keys. See S/M page 21-6 under "WHEN ALL KEYS HAVE BEEN LOST"

You need an original key to add in additional keys, not when you have to replace the ecm and keys when all the keys are lost. They are two different procedures for two different problems or situations"

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"(y)

Use VIN and the key code from under fuel cap (if you didn't record the key code someplace) to get the correct
ECM and correct pair of keys. See S/M page 21-6 under "WHEN ALL KEYS HAVE BEEN LOST"

You need an original key to add in additional keys, not when you have to replace the ecm and keys when all the keys are lost. They are two different procedures for two different problems or situations"
Thanks for this clarity.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a new ECM (38770-MEC-674) and two new keys today. Can’t get under the gas cap to get the key code so I just ordered both variants and will sell whichever does not fit. I am hoping that I can get a locksmith to cut the keys to fit my existing locks. But now I am concerned. I do not have the S/M, ordered that today as well, and did not use my vin to determine any part numbers so I hope I got it right 😬.

· Registered
75 Posts
"The 38770-MEC-674 ECM is for 49 State and Canada Runes,
verify it's correct by using 8th position in VIN. As long as your Rune is not
a California one you're good.

8th position breaks down:

0 - 49 State - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
1 - Calif. - DA bikes - Spec 47 / Forward Bars
3 - 49 State - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
4 - Calif. - DB bikes - Spec 47 / Rear Bars
5 - Canadian - DB bikes - --- 04 bikes - Illusion Blue Spec 47 / Rear Bars --- 05 bikes - Black Cherry / Spec47 / Rear Bars?
6 - 49 State - EA bikes - Chrome / Forward Bars
J - 49 State - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear Bars
K - California - EB bikes - Chrome / Rear bars
U - Australia - DA/B ? bikes - Spec 47/ Forward Bars/Rear Bars

I would have gone a different route by contacting a locksmith first, asked them to open the fuel tank
to get the key code from the bottom of the cap. Used it to order correct keys
and provide locksmith with key code to cut keys.

Good Luck!"

· Registered
77 Posts
Artmonkey sorry, I don't think you need to buy an ECU because you lost the keys to your bike. Each ECU can process up to 4 new keys. Two keys came with your bike the ability to process two more new keys for the ECU currently on your bike. When I ordered my new keys recently it just ask me the bike model it did not ask for a key number. After you get your new blank keys follow the pair instructions in the service manual, you don't need special tools. If you ordered a new ECU you should be able to cancel it, if it's on back order.

· Registered
75 Posts
"Correct key blank is based off of LETTER on the two
original keys that came with the Rune. IF keys are all lost
you are screwed and need a new ECM and the correct keys. The same as if
you had a bad/faulty ecm. You can also use
the full key code stamped into the bottom of the fuel cap to find the LETTER
you need to order the correct blanks. You must have one of the two original keys registered
to the ECM in the first place to start the process to add additional keys, for up to a total of 4,
and use the special tool to do so. No original keys, you're not adding shit.

The below comes from the link after it, refer to the two # 5: the AXX/BXX or CXX/DXX
is based on the code on the two original keys, like say D35. The D being the letter needed,
the XX just stand for whatever numbers are on the key. That same D35 or DXX is the last
part of full key code on bottom of fuel cap.

KEY, BLANK (NO.1) (KEY NO. AXX/BXX)
KEY, BLANK (NO.2) (KEY NO. CXX/DXX)

Honda Motorcycle 2004 OEM Parts Diagram for SIDE COVER | Partzilla.com

It's your Rune, do what you want.

Do a search, lost keys (all of them lost) has happened before!"

"Edit:

Below from a 30 second search:

Input from Al/Asacuta.....I miss that individual and talking with him.

~~~"You can't program ANY keys unless you have at least one key that is already programmed into the ECM.
You can't start with all new keys unless it's a new ECM. Loose all your keys,
and a new ECM is in your future. Keep one key in a very safe place.
If you need 2 keys day to day, store one of your originals and buy another.

New keys have an RF chip in them that communicates with the ECM to exchange encrypted data. "~~~

Exchange data is the reason old keys become useless with a new ECM, they tag each other, or pair to one another.

No old original key that was paired to ecm, you need a new ecm.

You all have a Great Day! (spent to damn much time in Texas, I'll spell it my way-Thank You... ;))"

"Ride Safe and Ride Often" (y)

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Quick update.
8th position on vin is J. So 49 state EB bike. WHEW! On first glance , my dislexic eyes read it as the California EB one line below 😂🤪.

Rune~Gearhead, I’ll take your advice and have a locksmith out to ensure that I have the right keys coming. If I have to order new ones, I’ll send these out to riders who could use them. Now to see if the ECM actually comes, as partzilla accepted the order but the part was listed as “unavailable” 🫠

Also! RUNE~GEARHEAD, man thank you! I’ve been walking through this blind. The depth and detail of this data is incredibly helpful AND gives me some peace of mind that this can actually get done. Keep the shiny side up brother.

And thanks to everyone else for pitching in. It is so cool to have a community like this.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
To the front of 'under the seat'. I removed battery, battery box and it was very helpful to take all the bolts out of the tank and lift it up and propped a 2"x4" piece under it to keep it up out of the way. It's a tight fit right under the rails at the back of the tank & front of 'under the seat' area.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts