Rune Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Artmonkey sorry, I don't think you need to buy an ECU because you lost the keys to your bike. Each ECU can process up to 4 new keys. Two keys came with your bike the ability to process two more new keys for the ECU currently on your bike. When I ordered my new keys recently it just ask me the bike model it did not ask for a key number. After you get your new blank keys follow the pair instructions in the service manual, you don't need special tools. If you ordered a new ECU you should be able to cancel it, if it's on back order.
"Each web site does or should give you 8 different options for a Rune.
The 4 models (EA,EB,DA,DB,) along with two options (A or AC) for each of those 4 models,
A being for 49 state and Canada Runes as well as the few Runes that went to the folks down-under,
and AC being California Runes.
The A or AC will come into play for the correct ECM.
Neither the A or AC option or the model option factors into ordering
the correct key blank. The key code does (more accurately the letter),
be it from the partial code of the original two keys,
or the full code under the fuel cap, or your records.

ALL of those 8 different Rune options (or 16 if you count 8 for each year 04/05)
will give you the same two different key blank options No 1 or No 2 to select from,
which is where you use the letter from either an original key,
key code from fuel tank or better yet, when you purchased a Rune you recorded it
and placed it in a safe location for that day IF you needed it.
If it was done only by Model, that would help make it far too easy to beat the H.I.S.S.,
to steal a Rune.

I've always wondered if Mother Honda recorded each key code that goes with each VIN as they came off
the assembly line. Allowing a Rune owner to simply prove to a authorized Honda Dealer they
own the Rune in question so the code can be retrieved? Or by Phone if you and your Rune are
registered with Mother Honda.

As for as ecm can process 4 keys, correct, but it's not that simple, and you don't want it to be.
IF it was that simple the Rune's H.I.S.S. would be worthless as tits on a bull,
again, making it far too easy to steal a Rune.

S/M states under step seven of the topic When all keys are lost, or ecm is faulty,
that in order to add a third key, you follow the instructions that
MO Rune Rider posted above in post #15.

The requirement to use an original key and a special tool for adding in a spare or key #3 and #4 is a good thing,
without it the H.I.S.S. would be even easier to work around."

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Each web site does or should give you 8 different options for a Rune.
The 4 models (EA,EB,DA,DB,) along with two options (A or AC) for each of those 4 models,
A being for 49 state and Canada Runes as well as the few Runes that went to the folks down-under,
and AC being California Runes.
The A or AC will come into play for the correct ECM.
Neither the A or AC option or the model option factors into ordering
the correct key blank. The key code does (more accurately the letter),
be it from the partial code of the original two keys,
or the full code under the fuel cap, or your records.

ALL of those 8 different Rune options (or 16 if you count 8 for each year 04/05)
will give you the same two different key blank options No 1 or No 2 to select from,
which is where you use the letter from either an original key,
key code from fuel tank or better yet, when you purchased a Rune you recorded it
and placed it in a safe location for that day IF you needed it.
If it was done only by Model, that would help make it far too easy to beat the H.I.S.S.,
to steal a Rune.

I've always wondered if Mother Honda recorded each key code that goes with each VIN as they came off
the assembly line. Allowing a Rune owner to simply prove to a authorized Honda Dealer they
own the Rune in question so the code can be retrieved? Or by Phone if you and your Rune are
registered with Mother Honda.

As for as ecm can process 4 keys, correct, but it's not that simple, and you don't want it to be.
IF it was that simple the Rune's H.I.S.S. would be worthless as tits on a bull,
again, making it far too easy to steal a Rune.

S/M states under step seven of the topic When all keys are lost, or ecm is faulty,
that in order to add a third key, you follow the instructions that
MO Rune Rider posted above in post #15.

The requirement to use an original key and a special tool for adding in a spare or key #3 and #4 is a good thing,
without it the H.I.S.S. would be even easier to work around."

Though this is all a magnificent pain in the ass, I am coming to see the wisdom of the H.I.S.S. If it is this hard for the lawful owner of a RUNE to re key, or any high end honda for that matter, then it’s just not worth it to steel unless one planed to part it out. I was thinking of trying to get a keyless ignition, but not anymore. This is THE BEST security system.

UPDATE
My keys just came in today, ECM is hopefully on its way. Got the service manual a few days ago and I have to say, I should’ve just started by getting that in the first place. Every step is in there and it’s also simple.

I’ll have a locksmith come cut a non transponered key so I can access the battery. Have him cut my transponder key but keep it away from the motorcycle until I get the new ECM in place. AirTag all my keys and the bike and call it done :)

As for Honda recording all the key codes according to vin, I went pretty high up the apparent call center food chain for Honda America, and that does not seem to be the case. I called the original dealer back east, and they don’t have a record of it and as far as they know, Honda doesn’t keep a record of any key codes. It makes me wonder if that is intended as an additional layer of the security. If keys are lost you have to present other keys or replace components. A pian in the butt style deterrent.

· Registered
75 Posts
"Parts are worth more than the whole, IF you can find buyers for the parts.

The average individual isn't going to do this...

Want a Rune, this is how simple/easy it is...

1. Steal Rune...Use four guys named Bench Press Bob, Freight Train, Big Al, and Tiny, and getaway driver named Fast Track Frank
2. Pick lock to fuel cap
3. Use key code from step two to order correct key blanks
4. Check VIN or Frame Number, or under radiator for emissions canister (California ones) to order correct ECM
5. Have keys cut-by Hacksaw Joe
6. Swap ECM and pair new keys to it by way of ignition switch.
7. Ride it like you stole it because you did...or sell to overseas market $$$

That why there's insurance

MERRY CHRISTMAS.....🎅"

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
"Parts are worth more than the whole, IF you can find buyers for the parts.

The average individual isn't going to do this...

Want a Rune, this is how simple/easy it is...

1. Steal Rune...Use four guys named Bench Press Bob, Freight Train, Big Al, and Tiny, and getaway driver named Fast Track Frank
2. Pick lock to fuel cap
3. Use key code from step two to order correct key blanks
4. Check VIN or Frame Number, or under radiator for emissions canister (California ones) to order correct ECM
5. Have keys cut-by Hacksaw Joe
6. Swap ECM and pair new keys to it by way of ignition switch.
7. Ride it like you stole it because you did...or sell to overseas market $$$

That why there's insurance

MERRY CHRISTMAS.....🎅"

😂😭🤣

· Registered
75 Posts
Just ordered a spare ECU and keys from Partzilla, keys they had but
ECU was placed on back-order ETA 21 Dec.
"Are you going to get the ecu? or is it delayed?
I was doing a part search and seen where that ecu is now delayed for 200-210 days (expected in stock Oct 6-20).
That's a long ass wait...

This forum has tons information

An area/section on Runes that are totaled out sitting in salvage yards or held by insurance companies may help with parts needs in the future. Online parts fiche for the Rune, show a whole lot of parts are unavailable?"

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"Are you going to get the ecu? or is it delayed?
I was doing a part search and seen where that ecu is now delayed for 200-210 days (expected in stock Oct 6-20).
That's a long ass wait...

This forum has tons information

An area/section on Runes that are totaled out sitting in salvage yards or held by insurance companies may help with parts needs in the future. Online parts fiche for the Rune, show a whole lot of parts are unavailable?"

Crap. I received an update email from them saying it would be available on 12/28, no new update. They’ll probably just update at a later date in october if I wait 🤦‍♂️
I suppose at this point I’ll try to get a refund and comb the web for that part # as well as this forum. Thanks for the heads up!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
update.
Just got an email from partzilla updating part availability to Jan 4th. Seems like a forever cycle of unavailability. :-/

Gearhead, you mentioned an area section where a list of totaled runes may exist. Any idea how to locate. I am digging but finding little. Maybe I am using poor search parameters? Or might just be hard to find!

· Registered
75 Posts
Gearhead, you mentioned an area section where a list of totaled runes may exist. Any idea how to locate. I am digging but finding little. Maybe I am using poor search parameters? Or might just be hard to find!
"Looks like I could have worded it better in my earlier post. MY BAD! :whistle:
I meant, maybe it's time to start and devote a section/area of this forum solely to salvaged/totaled Runes, or know parts
available to help with replacing those that have become unavailable from Honda.
The problem of finding parts will get worst with time.

You already posted on Khaan's thread, otherwise I would have said to try him, If he has it, it won't be cheap,
be sure it's the right ECM with key(s)."

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
"Looks like I could have worded it better in my earlier post. MY BAD! :whistle:
I meant, maybe it's time to start and devote a section/area of this forum solely to salvaged/totaled Runes, or know parts
The problem of finding parts will get worst with time.

You already posted on Khaan's thread, otherwise I would have said to try him, If he has it, it won't be cheap,
be sure it's the right ECM with key(s)."
Copy that. I am now calling actual part manufacturers and their warehouses. Maybe one is laying around? 🙏
Everyone is closed for the holidays so thats on hold till the third.

· Registered
859 Posts
(y)

I have a third Rune that I bought from a liar in Edmonton. It was in a catastrophic front end collision. When I first got it, I sold a bunch of parts, but kept the engine to rear hub intact. One day I will get it running and offer it for sale as an engine replacement. I also have a large collection of parts I took off, many of them are cosmetically damaged to varying degrees.
If we had a "salvaged" section, I might be inspired to find the time to catalog my inventory, with photos.

skip

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
(y)

I have a third Rune that I bought from a liar in Edmonton. It was in a catastrophic front end collision. When I first got it, I sold a bunch of parts, but kept the engine to rear hub intact. One day I will get it running and offer it for sale as an engine replacement. I also have a large collection of parts I took off, many of them are cosmetically damaged to varying degrees.
If we had a "salvaged" section, I might be inspired to find the time to catalog my inventory, with photos.

skip
So I imagine you won’t want to sell that sweet sweet ECU and keys?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts