Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own an 1800 Gold Wing and an 1800 VTX. I am considering selling the VTX and buying a Rune. Does the Rune cost anymore than the other 2 bikes to service, change tires, etc?

Also, is it just as easy to change the oil on the Rune?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KenCrawleySC said:
Welcome to the forum Bonnie.
I suggest you take a few hours out and read the posts of the past 2 years. There is plenty of info on maint. & tire changes.

Ken (33,500 miles)
Thanks Ken, what part of this forum would be the best to read?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Bonnie:

I only have a few thousand kilometres on my Rune, so I can't speak from experience about tires and other longer-interval maintenance, but I have done an oil change. As long as you have a drain pan thin enough to fit under the bike when it is on the side stand, and that can hold 4 litres (4 U.S. quarts), changing oil is easy. Just watch that the drain pan doesn't interfere with the radiator cowl. The cowl is plastic and you can crack it if it rests on the pan.

Al

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
asacuta said:
Bonnie:

I only have a few thousand kilometres on my Rune, so I can't speak from experience about tires and other longer-interval maintenance, but I have done an oil change. As long as you have a drain pan thin enough to fit under the bike when it is on the side stand, and that can hold 4 litres (4 U.S. quarts), changing oil is easy. Just watch that the drain pan doesn't interfere with the radiator cowl. The cowl is plastic and you can crack it if it rests on the pan.

Al
Thanks Al, sounds no more difficult than my VTX Retro and the Gold Wing. I have never paid to change the oil in any bike, and have always done it myself. I don't think I could afford these bikes if I had to take it to the mechanic every 2 months and pay for oil changes. Anyway, takes too long to drive there and wait for them. I just want to know what I am getting into before I buy the Rune. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Changing the motor oil and final gear oils is the only maintenance I can do though.

·
Swamp Rat
6,991 Posts
Bonnie

It is comforting to learn there is someone on this Board less mechanically capable than me.
I am proud to inform you that not only can I change the engine and final drive oil I am skilled
at taking tire pressure readings and scraping bugs from the headlight.

I feel so vindicated. :a13:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SiteData said:
Bonnie

It is comforting to learn there is someone on this Board less mechanically capable than me.
I am proud to inform you that not only can I change the engine and final drive oil I am skilled
at taking tire pressure readings and scraping bugs from the headlight.

I feel so vindicated. :a13:
Hi Chuck. Yes, I do check tire pressure. Before every ride actually. Tell me about owning a Rune-are you happy with it? How does it compare to other bikes you have owned? Bonnie

·
Jersey Boy
2,807 Posts
Bonnie,
Welcome and I hope you do purchase the Rune of your choice. I rode mine 425 miles on Sat.,what a thrill. I do most of the maint. on all my bikes. Chuck tought me all I know :wink:
You will LOVE THIS BIKE AND THIS BOARD :!:
Rich K ( Rune Ski, Wing Ski, Val Ski )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride my Rune to work every day. I look forward to the ride each morning and evening. What more can I say? Yes it is more expensive than other bikes up front, but most people here will agree it's completely worth it. Even the magazine reviews seemed to agree: pricy but well justified.

My dealer reports that maintenance is very similar to the goldwing (in terms of cost, maintenance required, and intervals) so you should already have an idea of what it will cost you. The only issue I can think of is that some Runes have been damaged by mechanics taking shortcuts, according to a few on this forum, particularly dealling with rear tire removal and cracking the bottom of the radiator cover.

·
Administrator
6,931 Posts
i would have to say that the cost to maintain a Rune is a BIT more than a VTX, Wing....or for that matter, my Valk. Most things are a bit more of a hassle to get to. The front tire.....getting to the plugs.....etc. So there is some added cost and trouble to do the maintenance.

That said, it isn't that much more....and it's worth EVERY penny of it. But it is a bit more involved than other more 'standard' bikes.

now go get one and join the happy crowd!!!!!!!

·
I'd rather be riding!
4,932 Posts
I have had my Rune for about a year. I can change the oil. Just putting a new front tire on at 8800 miles. Rode the bike on a 2100 mile trip to the Hoot in June with no problems. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Watch outs

Bonnie..Follow the advise here and also for sure take your bike to a dealer that has a long term mechanic with a desire to READ the manual before venturing into things on this bike...I have a rear tire that has been ruined because after giving the owner of the dealership, the head service guy ..and the mechanic all a copy gf the warnings (from this board) on changing the rear tire and how it WILL be damaged if not done properly... The mechanic knew everything and pulled the tire without taking off the rear fender or covering the brake assembly... Dealer says he will "touch it up this winter" If it doesn't look like new I will ask for new..as several on this board have... All that said get your RUNE and welcome aboard...this will be the most gorgeous woma....er...uh...um... hunk of machinery you have ever thrown a leg over. RUne Rally over Labor Day ..plan for it...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Attitude

That's exactly it Bonnie...the mechanic knew everything and blew off the advise...even tho I told him I wasn't tryng to tell him how to do it...just wanted him to know about a very costly mistake if done wrong...A different Honda dealer quoted me approx $750 for a new rear wheel..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Attitude

Rich Oas said:
That's exactly it Bonnie...the mechanic knew everything and blew off the advise...even tho I told him I wasn't tryng to tell him how to do it...just wanted him to know about a very costly mistake if done wrong...A different Honda dealer quoted me approx $750 for a new rear wheel..
Wow, what did the dealer that did it charge?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
same thing with me for the rear wheel. Honda of Rocky Mt. NC FedExed me a new rear wheel after their most senior mechanic admitted to the owner he was too embarassed to admit he was having trouble getting the rear wheel off. (he did not remove the left exhaust cover and rear fender)

Ken

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi,
j wish to inform that j remouved the rear wheel without remouving the rear fender.
j remouved only the left exaust cover.
the rune was on a lift so the rear wheel was remouved from down.
j got the tire from Hall, j remouved all the parts myself and j paid with tire man for assembling with a lunch at a mountain inn (22 euro = 26 $ )
ciao
Hannibal
if usa riders may pay 750 us$ for a tire replacing j should ask for a green card and mouve to your nice country and start for this job. :p

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hannibal

My tire cost is now $195 and $90 to change...$285... both front and rear are about the same now...but I won't have this dealer do another tire... so my cost could go up a bit..or maybe even down if I get an experienced guy doing it... My dealer can't keep mechanics.... so each trip there is a crap shoot...no more...I'll go elsewhere.

The metal Wheel will cost $750 to replace for damage done...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.