Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the GoldWing in the rural area of Northwest Chicago yesterday mapping out a ride route for an upcoming HRCA event. I pass one of the Biker Bars and there was a CBC Rune out front.

I was excited to see another Rune out (I've only seen one other - just in passing on the road), so I went into the bar to try to locate the owner. Since the bike had a Corbin Rumble seat that was open, and a set of RIVCO passenger pegs that were folded down I assumed that it would be a couple.

No luck. So I went back outside and looked over the bike some more. Several people wandered in and out of the bar and stopped to look and talk about the bike, so I was telling everyone everything I knew about the Rune. One guy made a comment that since I knew so much about the bike I could get one just like it for about twenty-seven grand. I told him I had just bought a Illusion Blue one for twenty-two. He walked back into the bar, and I didn't think twice about it or him, as his statement seemed a bit smartass'd (see where I'm going with this?).

I headed out to complete my route planning and then went back to the bar hoping to catch the owner of the Rune. I got out the camera and took some pictures of the Corbin (no heat, but color-matched paint) and the RIVCO pegs including close-ups of the cut-out side covers - first time I’d seen either in person. The bike looked nice, really had me thinking I would replace the Ultimate seat I have now and do the Rumble seat so I can pack a bag on back for road trips.

So as I'm taking pictures the smartass'd guy walks out again to take a cell call. He asks me why I'm taking pictures since I supposedly already had one. I said he must have misunderstood me, I have the bike, but not the Corbin seat or RIVCO passenger pegs. First thing he does is correct me about the pegs; they're not RIVCO they are Corbin (*I then realize the bike was his, and it occured to me that the dealer ordered the seat and pegs for him*). I told him no, they were RIVCO, made just up the street at RIVCO's facility in Burlington, Wisconsin, and that they make a matching set of cruise pegs that mount to the engine false cover (as I was pointing out the area of the engine cover). I ask him about cutting the side panels - he said use a small fine-tooth coping saw instead of the bandsaw blade they supply, and if he had to shim the seat - he said he used three 1/2" washers - all made me believe he did all the work himself. He then says I can get the seat for around $400, and the pegs for around $150. I asked him where he got those numbers, because they were half of list price.

At that time a couple that had come out of the bar earlier asked him how he liked his new bike. He complained that he is now learning that it wasn't the limited production bike he was led to believe, stating that his dealer told him it was only produced for the '04 model (I had stated to the crowd earlier that the production included a half-year run in '05 to use up the parts), and that apparently everyone else knew more about his bike than he did (I had told him about this board and the upcoming Rune Rally).

He sure looked pissed as he stormed back into the bar. I told the crowd that he apparently must have thought he was the only one in the world with this model bike, and that when I told him I had one too it broke his little heart. :evil:

I guess I was disappointed in this guys' rude attitude, and lack of knowledge about his own bike. But, I am happy I got to see the seat and pegs, I'm now seriously considering both for my scoot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've only ONCE seen another Rune on the road when I have been on mine at the same time. That was at the Western States ride-in in AZ for the VRCC a couple years back. I kinda got the same reaction when I pointed to mine in the other parking lot.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have EVER seen another not at a dealer:

1. About a month ago when I was on the V-Strom
2. About a year ago on Rainbow blvd. in Vegas
3. About 1.5 years ago at a car show in Vegas
4. 2 years ago at Laughlin (it was getting airbrushed)
5. 2 years ago at Laughlin (it was the Corbin bike)
6. The one at the Western States Ride-in in AZ.

...Ok, one hand if I'm a mutant....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rude Runer

I really enjoy the dialogue on this board and have gained a sense of the fun, open minded and courteous folks that frequent this site... That guy in CHi town gives us all a bad name...I wouldn't invite him anywhere or give him the time of day...I am looking forward to meeting all the always caring, loveable, never say a bad word about anybody folks on this board when I get to Erwin...That no good SOBing bastardly piece of sh_t, .. with the overwhelming sense of self importance should sell his Rune to someone who will love her, care for her and forsake her above all others so long as they both shall live.. ... guy must be on crack... :cus: He probably rides her a mile to the biker bar and a mile back home..... I love to talk to others about how awesome this ride is....

By the way David...I drilled my side covers with a hole saw using a drill press... drilled thru from the good side to the back side. Used a rounded piece of wood for support under as I drilled... After you have the boss' mounted be sure to get a tap and chase the threads out that will mount the footboard to the boss..Mine were mucked up and I ended up having to rethread and us a stainless steel machine bolt to hold the board on.... I also have the Corbin rumble seat and used two 1/2" washers to make it fit good... :biker:

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
i see them all the time...

...Runes that is, not Dead people 8) . But then i'm constantly going to Rallies....every month...all over the country. i've run into MANY of the folks on this board.....and kicked tires and what not.

Oh, i'm getting ready to run into A BUNCH of Runes, 2 September...at Erwin, TN :wink:

But i have to say, so far i haven't run into too many Rune owners that were as rude as the one described above. thank goodness. ALL of the people i have met from this board have been the nicest people....as if i were mettiing the nicest people on a Honda. hey, where have i heard that expression before? 8)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had really thought that once he saw that I was genuinely exceited to meet a fellow Rune rider he would warm up, but he couldn't get over his dissapointment that someone else had a bike like his.

He commented that he'd bought another set of exhaust pipes and had gutted them out. I told him that I knew of 400 Rune Riders on this board that would love to see a write-up on this, and some would even want to purchase from him. That's when he headed back inside with the comment that he didn't have time for the internet.

Kinda explains why he didn't know much about his bike... all he got was what his dealer told him to make the sale.

Oh well, I get up there every once in a while, I hope to see him again when I'm on the Rune.

Rich Oas, thanks for the tip on drilling the passenger peg installation. I'm waiting on the big HDL Labor Day sale to get passenger and cruise pegs. Every little bit helps when you're in the middle of a divorce...

·
Registered
534 Posts
What an attitude !

David,

- What an attitude :!: :evil:

- Perhaps he was getting bashed eletronically by his "she who rules" on the cellular for not being where he's supposed to be - why else leave a bar for taking a cellular call on a sunday :?: , and perhaps he was a person without sufficient intellectual capabilities to split the content of two in line separate conversations from each other, so that he brought his anger over getting bashed on the cellular into the coversation with You ... :?:

G

·
what a jerk

the guy's a plain jerk. don't get mad because you aren't as exclusive as you would like to be. guys like him are only out to rub people's noses in what he thinks they cant have. its absurd that such a wonderful bike has to have a pompous ass for an owner. david, if you do go back there and see his bike there, tell him that someone in Texas would really like to have it and wouldn't demean someone else that had one as well. some people take themselves WAY too seriously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts