Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drove my car in my driveway this morning and looking at the back tire of my Rune parked in the garage I see a nail head in the center of my rear tire. I did not want to pull it out in case it is all the way through. I put some water around it and no bubbles were visiible. There is still air pressure in the tire. I plan on taking it to the dealership to have them look at it. Hopefully when I pull it out (at the dealership) the nail not be all the way through. More than likely Honda will try to sell me a new tire, it is possible to patch it rather than replace it? If I have to replace it what is a reasonable costs? What is a reasonable cost to patch it? Please advise.

·
Registered
852 Posts
For what its worth my advice would be not to repair the tire. If it fails when you are driving your bike it can be very dangerous. In a car when a tire goes down you have three left. On a bike you are down to one. .. Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
nail in rear tire

yeah... its a b****. I had a screw in mine last fall. If you spend any time over on the VRCC board... you will find about 200 posts over the last few years about the cunundrum of trying to save a perfectly good tire (except that it has a nail in it!). You are almost certain NOT to find a dealership that will patch it. They don't want the liability concerns and I certainly understand that. There are a few nondealer, specialty shops that will patch it. We have one south of Seattle in the Tacoma area. The way to patch it is to pull the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside... You can find a step by step write up on this process on the VRCC board; or follow the directions on the kit sold at auto supply stores or Walmart. I have a tire changer (Harbor Freight) and my riding buddy (Ratdog) and I change our own tires and we do patch our own tires, but we do NOT do it for anyone else. We don't want the liability either! LOL. And pulling the wheel, breaking it off the rim, patching, remounting, balencing and reinstalling it... is not a heck of a lot of fun either. Gives you a good deal of respect for the wrenchers at the shops around the country and all of a sudden the price which at first glance seems exhorbitant, is a tad more understandable... Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some people aren`t going to like this, but i carry a kit and have plugged several of my tires in my 40 years of riding, including on a trip to Alaska. I have never had one fail. Nor have i ever had one fail on a car repair. This is my personal experience.
Not my reccomendation to others. I ride hard and 25,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
tire plugging

yep, always carry a plug kit, too! but (IMHO) the external plug is just to get you someplace where you replace it or properly patch it (see my post above). Spittin a plug at 80 mph is not a lot of fun and it does happen!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Check out www.ride-on.com they have a stop flat fluid that cycle world did a test on and wrote a great review. You can order online too!
That's my choice for my next flat problem.
The story my dealer related was that someone got a tire patched and tried to ride home and it blew, he sued and won millions, as a result no one will fix a flat anymore. I tried the plug and spent a c note having my valk towed back home, less than 5 miles :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a nail in my tire for two years now . Had 200miles on new avon venom I pulled it out just enough to cut the head off pounded it back in let the air out and put in a can of fix a flat . I lose 2lbs a week no big deal to me. It is on my tourer so I do carry a extra can of flat fix.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
There I was, 4 bikes from the front.. we were on our way to Daytona from Charleston SC.
The vp of our club, with his wife on the back, started weaving wildly at 70 mph!!! His "plug" popped out and he said he only had a few seconds to get ready for a wild ride. No one hurt. But, I learned my lesson!! The way I ride my Rune. there will never be a plug or a patch in my tires.
Oh yea: I left my lights on during our interstate recovery and analtidyingup ceremonies... so, we had to push start my V-Star 1100. That ended up being the bigger PIA than the blowout.... So much for me being the "newbie pledge".... aaaargh!
Ken (26,450 miles)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts