Rune Rider Forums banner

New Dunlop "elite 3" tires for Rune

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  RedValk 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new elite 3 tires from dunlop yet? (the thought of better handling in wet conditions would really be nice :lol: ) Mike[/b]

#4 ·
The front tire is the same size at the Gold Wing and VTX18C, but there isn't a rear tire yet. I don't ever recommend mixing tires on a motorcycle (or car for that matter - but that's just me).

I've asked my dealer to ask his distributor if/when there will be a rear tire for the Rune.

I put a set of Elite 3's on my VTX18C, they did very well for the 3k miles I put on them before trading the bike on the Rune.

The Gold Wing will get a set this winter.

G
#5 ·
Tires ??????????

Is a car tire available for the Rune? I've one on my 99 Valk and have 10,000 plus mileage and have hardly worn the tibs off. Great handling in all weather conditions. I'd put one on in a flash-even with the tread I still have left on the Rune now.(':1st:')

#6 ·
Hi,
simply do not open trottle when the road is wet, when there is sand on the road
:twisted:
the problem is:
when j am in a curve and j find wet, sand, oil or other.
opsssssssssssssssss

j hope in a new rear tire solution . j have no experience in other rune tires or other recent bike tires.
but my wife does not like the rune rear tire. too often the bike starts a bad position if j change lane in acceleration.
sic

ciao
hannibal

#7 ·
Ron....i'd guess a car tire wouldn't fit on the Rune rear...as the two guys that tried 210 width bike tires, said they rubbed. But...maybe like on the Valk...maybe with some slight mod one would fit?

I agree...a car tire on the rear would be VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
A car tire would have to be narrow for the Rune. OUr problem is the tubular frame that encloses the rear tire. There is no way to make it wider. The 210 rubs when you hit bumps and the tire moves higher in the frame. I am thinking that 190 is as wide as necessary, given that wide tires mounted on our wheel make the tire narrow in the middle, thus reducing the contact patch. I am tired of seeing my wide rear tires worn out in a 2 inch wide patch in the middle, wasting all that rubber!

Ken (27,100 miles)

G
#9 ·
Lets all talk to the tire people

Lets all talk to the tire people-do we know any of them?? Can we trust any of them? As for Hannibal your wife complaining about the way the tire goes on the wet stuff dry stuff(sand etcetra) "Keep" in mind it's a bicycle built for "ONE" 276lbs I do believe. The speed freaks will all tell you to hammer on the gas some more to correct slippage-this truly works! were in control at all times. We can only correct things as they come at us. "Trial and error" I want a car tire,besides there only $80.00 to $95.00-and nicer looking (meaner too!) :cop2: "Catch me if you Can" P/S If somebody has a rim off or an extra rim it could be used by the tire people,tire shops etc as a try out. And we can copy down size and cost for all to read.

#10 ·
car tire

I have to relate my experience with a car tire on my 99 Interstate. Fine under power, demanded almost constant counter-steering, fine on smoothe roads, totally and completely unsatisfactory on rough or uneaven road surfaces. Caused the bike to squirm and wander on uneaven surfaces to the point of danger. After 1600 miles-Sturgis and back i removed the $132. tire and considered it a lesson in not believing everything i read on the internet. I used one of the most reccomended tires on the Valkyrie site-not a cheap tire. THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE-bike performs great again with bike tire. used a 205

#11 ·
Hi Ron,

j doubt that could be the excess of weight to produce that effect. j still tkink that with a differente tire the result could be better.

alone j am much more worried in some condition. for example at lights trying to open the trottle j have the rear tire running more than the bike.
j may not transfer completely the power at the ground.
and in curves with no wet ground j am more sure in two than alone.
anyway your observation is not out.

the result anyeway is that luckeely j get no bad results and no j take some more precaution in riding.

ciao
hannibal

#12 ·
Car tires are designed for wheels that stay vertical (at 90 degrees) to the ground thus they have a flat tread surface that is in contact with the road surface. Motorcycle tires must have a curved tread design (in profile) to allow for the lean that the bike experiences in the turns.

How can we expect a car tire to perform well on a bike in any condition other than traveling in a straight line? What happens when you are pressing hard in a sharp curve and the rear tire is on it's edge? It seems to me that the car tire could and would loose traction much easier and quicker than a motorcycle tire under the same conditions. Yes it would be nice to have all that extra thread on the ground, that the car tire has, but there is no way that the surface (thread) in contact with the road, can stay constant in the turns.

I have seen some bikes with car tires, but in my opinion it is a misapplication and is an accident waiting to happen!

G
#13 ·
Runeman

I've recently moved from The State of Wyoming bordering on Utah (Park City) where they held the Winter Olympics-soooo there is a ton of Mountains 11000 ft plus and a ton of canyons and in my 3 years residing there I've put over 10,000 miles in curves, straights sand,salt and rain and unfortunately fog and snow and sleet (add a little balck ice too!) and the car tire out performs the motorcycle tire by far! :snow1: :rain1: :yes: It does take over 5 minutes to get use to,but after that 5 minutes (your in another world. U turns are slower period! You'll have to try it before you say anything negative. Long time ago someone though the world was FLAT! Chow. Ron

#14 ·
hi,
now j found following rear tires, pls check and let me have some consideration, j will ask also to my tire man.
ciao
hannibal

Avon
Articolo No.: TEPGA021523185
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO SP AV50
Tyre Profile: AZARO SP AV50

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523629
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO SP AV50 B
Tyre Profile: AZARO SP AV50 B

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523168
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO SP PS AV50
Tyre Profile: AZARO SP PS AV50

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523148
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO SP PX AV50
Tyre Profile: AZARO SP PX AV50

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523154
Tyre Size: 180/55 R 17 TL 73H AZARO SP PX RAIN AV50
Tyre Profile: AZARO SP PX RAIN AV50

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523217
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO ST AV46
Tyre Profile: AZARO ST AV46
Prezzo: 136,65 €

Articolo No.: TEPGA021523661
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W AZARO ST AV46 B
Tyre Profile: AZARO ST AV46 B
Prezzo: 136,65 €

Articolo No.: TEPGA040755249
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W VIPER SPORT AV60
Tyre Profile: VIPER SPORT AV60

Articolo No.: TEPGA040755269
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W VIPER SUPERSPORT AV60
Tyre Profile: VIPER SUPERSPORT AV60

Articolo No.: TEPGA040755326
Tyre Size: 180/55 ZR 17 TL 73W VIPER XTREME AV62
Tyre Profile: VIPER XTREME AV62
Prezzo: 162,28 €

G
#16 ·
More tire!

Can we go for a little larger tire say from 180 to a 190-195 or 200 I'm sure that 205 or 210 won't do it,also I think somebody mentioned this too! That sure is nice research you came up with so fast (One would think you have your own tire shop) Very impressive! And nothing negative said this round-we can work together anytime. Merci. Ron :beer2:

#17 ·
BEST Rune tires??

ok, I know I am fixing to open a can of worms, :lol: but for those of you who ride like I do (that would be bouncing the pegs off the road in corners :twisted: and see no reason NOT to run up to 135+ "just to clear the mental cobwebs" what is the best MATCHED set of tires you have used? Thanks for the input guys. :idea:

#18 ·
Ron, several guys have run 190 and 200 tires with success. I think they reported the 200s wore out in the middle prematurely due to the bowing affect of mounting to the 200 in our rim...so they only got like 4000 miles on the tire...or something like that. But i've heard no negative comments about the guys running 190 tires on rear. they seem to wear just fine. i wouldn't hesitate to go to a 190.

as for best MATCHED set....until somebody else comes out with that FRONT tire size of ours....the best matched set....seems to be factory OEM. some have used SMALLER front tires ...as a set....but again, i'm leery of running a smaller front.

i want the same size front....and....maybe a 190 rear. sure wish Avon would make us some......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.