Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a new Black Cherry Rune on Saturday morning. It has the rear set bars and Spec 47 wheels. It's been sitting on the dealer's floor in southeast IA for almost a year. I would gaze at it in wild wonder each time I went in there. I didn't notice till yesterday when I was going thru her, but no tool kit was provided. Only a "cable" for what I don't know, was in the tool compartment. Anyone else come across this. I'll call the dealer tomorrow for an answer. They were closed today. I also have a `99 Valk Standard which I converted to a tourer early this year. I will say this, the Rune will outhandle my Valk, even when it is nekkid and with new Avons. I've added the I/S ICM and MarkT pipes with the carbs synched each spring. It may even outrun the Valk. Hard to say, since I only got on her hard twice Sunday, after I eclipsed the 300 mile break-in period. Anyway, it's good to finally own a Rune. Now if the two beasts would just "mate" in the garage some night...I could have a third greatest machine? Hey, Honda doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey JimC Congratulations and Welcome :!:
None of the Runes in the states came with a tool kit only The only Runes sold in Canada.
I but a garage remote in the tool kit box and wired a remote switch to it for my garage door.
The cable under the seat is for holding a helmet by looping it through a ring and putting the loops of the cable on the hook under the seat.
The Rune is a one of a kind motorcycle and I'm sure you will love it and good choice in color too :D

Todd

·
Registered
141 Posts
NEW RUNE

Keep your tire pressures at 42psi all the time. It makes the tires last a little longer. You may get 6 to 7,000 miles out of the front and 10 to 12,000 miles out of the rear. If you run lower pressures, the front will be gone in 5,000.

I have almost 18,000 miles on my rune. Still on 2nd rear tire, almost ready for my 4th front. 5,000 on the first front, 6,500 on the 2nd front,
and have a 6500 plus (little bit left) on the 3rd.

I am changing to a ME880 130/70/18 for the front. I want to see how well it does. If works well, I'll change front and rear to Metzs. They should both be due at the same time, next time, maybe.

No one other than dunlop makes our 150/60/18. Maybe later.
DUNLUPP TIRES SUCK!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Welcome to a very select group of bikers!

Run Shell 93 (or hi test if your state is "lower") and you will not have any problem with soot on your exhaust.

I will be at 22,000 miles later next week and agree about 42psi for the tires.

If your Rune is "jerky" or hyper responsive to the throttle -- dont worry, it will smooth out in about 10,000 miles!

Switch over to synthetic oil asap (in my opinion) and put Amsoil synthetic 90W in the rear end asap.

Take the time to read all the postings since last May. We went thru a whole lot of stuff!!
ENJOY your RUNE!!! :clap2:

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Welcome

Welcome JimC, and congratulations. The same to Skibum, from New Jersey and pakrat, from Arkansas you guys are in for some fun.

I took delivery of one, if not the first, Rune in Florida, which was more than a year and a half ago.

Last night I rode it to the store to pick up some previsions, and the experience was the same as it was on that first ride in June 2003. As soon as I parked the Rune attracted admirers and the questions began. Everyone who has had a Rune, for a while, knows what the questions were, and the three of you will all know soon enough.

Here are some tips on how to answer the questions. If the first one is “Is that a Harley?” you can have some fun.
You say “no it’s a Rune, 145 horsepower, 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, top speed 210 miles per hour, 84 miles to the gallon, cost $75,000.00 and it’s one of only one hundred produced".

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
And they would believe you!!!
I had a great time being in the Charleston SC Veteran's Day parade on Sunday. Same kind of questions.... from the SC motorcycle cops!! Policeman drool is the same as all the other :D

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Jim,
Welcome to Rune Riders. Congrats on your purchase.
You can call Honda and complain nicely that you did not get a tool kit ( and that you were disappointed that you did not get one ) but you know some members ( me and a few others ) that did and you would like to have a set also. They will oblige. Call 1-888-888-3109
And once again, welcome
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
141 Posts
oil

This engine is not broken in until at least 10,000 miles. Once you put synthetic in you have basically stopped your engines initial break in.
Recommend you wait.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all

for your responses. I always keep the tires on the Valk @ 40-44# for best mileage and will take your advice on the Rune's Dunlops. I personally would like to see Avon step up to the plate and accomodate this fine machine, the Rune. I spoke to my dealership GM yesterday re: the tool kit and the cable. He must not have known what you all have said. Anyway, he said he get one for me, no problem. He also has been holding a cool wall poster of the beast. I'll pick it up in the cage (argh), next time I'm down that way. It's the one on an embossed, matte paper stock, same Black Cherry color and I forget what else is on it. Who do you all buy your tires from, DirectLine or elsewhere? I don't think Viking sells them, but am sure Andy or Justin (at Viking) would get be some if I asked. Thanks again, for everything. What an awesome machine.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I run the "He(double hockeysticks)" out of my Rune all the time. I switched to 10-40 synthetic at 500 miles on the second day my Rune was MINE. I now have 22,000 miles on it after only 9 months of riding, and even after my 4,200 mile trip to Colorado, up the PIkesPeak mountain and back, it did not use any measurable oil on the dipstick. It is a myth that synthetic stops breakin or that that is bad. We arent driving 62 Chevys anymore.

Why would I want to let my bike's nearly blueprint engine grind away metal for 10,000 miles to set the wear limits based upon an oil that "doesnt" stop breakin? The great thing about this forum is that we all can keep tabs on how our machines are holding up over time.
Yee Ha! Ken

·
Registered
88 Posts
RuneSki said:
Jim,
Welcome to Rune Riders. Congrats on your purchase.
You can call Honda and complain nicely that you did not get a tool kit ( and that you were disappointed that you did not get one ) but you know some members ( me and a few others ) that did and you would like to have a set also. They will oblige. Call 1-888-888-3109
And once again, welcome
Rich K ( Rune Ski )
I talked to Honda about my lack of tools. They said they would send me a factory set but the reason they don't include the tool kit is because the Rune is such a class bike and the tool kit is so cheesy.
I want anything that is free.

Adrian

·
Registered
665 Posts
Drooling over the Rune

Welcome
I too drooled for about 9 months hoping someone would buy that monster and get it off the showroom floor and out of my site... No takers so I eventually caved in to the urge. So sweet this rolling piece of art.

Now for the reason I am posting this morning.. I have been running 42 lbs of pressure front and rear... that's 42lbs cold... should I actually be adjusting to be at 42-45 hot? Does anyone know off hand what the pressure increase is with warming the tires up by riding... or does this balance out because the tire becomes more pliable and therefore allows for some expansion without an increase in pressure. I am in the snow right now so can't check... Oh why do I have to think of these things???? :shock:

·
Registered
534 Posts
It´s called beeing in love

Rich,

- It´s called beeing in love, it´s just like beeing in love with a woman - you can´t manage it, and it pop´s up in your mind in a totally unstructured uncontrolable pattern :lol:

Acknowledge that you´re not unhappy in love ! 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts