Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
the headline said it all...

New 2006 Honda Cruiser Models...Well, Er, None
that was the headline of the article. And....they are quite right. NO new cruiser models for Honda. NONE. ZIP. in fact, the last NEW idea in the 'cruiser' world to come out of Honda......was......the Rune. It was announced 12 Sep, 2002. NOTHING new in cruisers has come out of Honda since then.

And as we all know, the Rune is a very unique bike....NOT for the masses. The last bike introduced by Honda...for the masses...in the cruiser lineup....was in fact the VTX. think it came out in 2000? Since then...other than the special/limited edition/expensive Rune....all Honda has done is give "upgrades" to Wings and VTXs and Shadows. A change in paint here....a little 'tweak' there....but NO new models.

I think Honda is missing the boat. But....as i said on the VRCC board, Honda seems to be dragging in new development. And....i got my two Runes....and my 97 Valk...so i'm good to go for many years to come :twisted:

·
Registered
430 Posts
What they need...

I think they need something to replace the Valkyrie and Rune in their line-up. Although Valkyrie was not their strongest seller, it certainly had a strong following...just probably not the sales volume Honda likes to see. I hope they come up with something to fill that void. There certainly are a lot of us who like the 6 cylinders. :D

I too am glad to see them discontinue the Rune, but I think it will take a while before we see the value of used Runes go up. :? But I hope I'm wrong about that. Of course, time will tell.

·
Swamp Rat
6,991 Posts
As Tim points out the Rune is "NOT for the masses" and the early dumping by those disillusioned by the Runes’ limitations caused the used market to go as low as $18,500.00. Many of the early sell-offs were for financial over extensions or because the Rune is not a Gold Wing.

I predict that those who bought used at $20,000.00 will not resell any time soon. With the increasing interest in the Rune, the end of production and the shrinking used inventory, by venture of supply and demand, this should cause the used market price to increase.

After more than two years all of still get the question, “what is that?” As for me and most of us we’d all like to have the retail value increase but have no intention of selling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the owner of a Goldwing as well I can tell you without a Doubt
"A RUNE IS NOT A GOLDWING!!"

I fell in love with the looks of the rune the first time I saw one and wanted one BAD. I held out and was able to buy a brand new 2004 for $20,000 two months ago. I WILL NOT SELL MY RUNE at any price, it is truly a work of art and a Beast to boot.

Ride On,

Dennis

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the over 50 crowd and Lord willing, I'll be riding my Rune until He decides to take me home. Under no normal circumstances would I ever consider selling the Rune. It is the perfect blend of wow, bling, and feel good all over. By now I am no longer concerned whether it goes up or down in value. My only concern is keeping it well maintained and ridden on a regular basis. The rest will take care of itself.

·
Jersey Boy
2,854 Posts
I am in the "JUST" under 60 group. I have what I think is a perfect Honda trifecta as one of our members once called it. A 98 Yellow and Cream std. Valk, THE Black Cherry red RUNE and a Black Cherry red 05 Wing.
They all put a smile on my face which ever one I decide to ride. But the Rune IS SPECIAL," never sell it, will I "
Rich K( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks,guys and gals, we all LOVE THE RUNE........She eats front tires,she makes her pipes blue,and hard to turn around in a parking lot,but when I swing my leg over her it moves something deep in side like no other bike has ever done....Doc Harr 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I am the only 50+ confused?

I still can't bring my self to get on a "boat" (wing), and I traded my Valk tourer in on my Rune, but I don't have any desire to get another (valk) because after the Rune...well you know :1st: nothing else cut it..! as for turning in the parking lot, a little more gas and a lean will spin her right where ya wanna go.. :twisted: Ride free Ya'll :cop2:

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
you're not the only one that feels that way :wink: Only possible bikes in my future....would be a Triumph Rocket or a Boss Hoss. No Wings on my horizons....for decades to come. I'll be 50 this year. I'm way too young to have a Wing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But before any Wingers get their panties in a bind....it's a fine bike. If i was a long distance rider.....i'd have one in a heartbeat. But i'm NOT a long distance rider. i like 100-200 miles rides....and lots of them...with lots of curves. ANd i like bikes that look REAL COOL. Thus....the Rune and the Valk. Or a Boss would be cool. For my long distance rides, i have a truck and a trailer :wink: 8)

But then...i wouldn't own a Harley either. Never will. Not my cup of tea either. But thousands and thousands of others disagree with me on that one too :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not sure, I read that article in an other way

Ladies and gentlemen,

I read that article in quite an other way ...

"The line comes back complete, with all the 2005 models and variations returning, although the Valkyrie Rune, which Honda always said would be limited production (it actually extended production by a year into 2005), is no longer being offered. The Valkyrie family might be history, sad news for folks who think that cruisers should be fun to ride as well as to look at. The Rune continues to figure prominently in Honda's advertising, however."

And actually, the comments about the Rune in Honda´s future product programme in the article, is - in my opinion - exactly the right way to put it.

Personally at this moment I wouldn't take a bet about there will be a '06 Rune, and at this moment I wouldn't take a bet there will be no '06 Rune.

We have had discussions about the '05 Rune on this board earlier, and the '05 Rune wasen't announced at last dealers show in september last year.

If You go on the general board in here, You find that exactly 1st April this year a '05 Rune was spotted at a dealer by a board member, and at exactly that time, a "'05" folder was added to the Rune folder on the amercan Honda motorcycle website, I think there was an official announcement from Honda, but I haven't been able to find that announcement and the date it was issued.

To me it seem's like the Rune - also in that respect - is living it's own life in Honda´s product programme - outside the normal annual announcement cycle from Honda.
To me it seems that there are other internal rules for the Rune at Honda, allmost like a joker in cards ...

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
you do make a good point John. I remember when the 2005 announcement was made...it was APril 1. I thought it was an April Fools joke :roll: :roll: :roll:

ya' just never know with Honda. BUt....they sure do seem to be missing the mark on SOME of the things they are doing lately. The ONLY one they got right in the last several years.....WAS the RUNE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I certainly agree with You, Tim

Tim,

- I certainly agree with You.

The night the dealers show took place in Las Vegas, I spent the whole night at the monitor to keep up with the information comming from several sources on the Internet.

My aim was to bring it as the first to Denmark as the siteadmin of the first ever danish GW/Valk/Rune board.

Beside the information achieved it was a quite exciting experience, and I ended up working my butt off on the keyboard to get the information spread - I actually ended up being the first to bring the news to Europe, I think, a couple of hours before the information was avaialble on the Honda webstite.

The primary source was HAL and his staff on the first information.

HAL - thank You for Your effort on this event ! You and your staff did a great job on this !

HAL had sent two persons from his staff to the show in Las Vagas to take pictures at the show, forwarding the pictures to HAL, and HAL uploaded the pictures to Photo Post in here, bringing the pictures to the Boards run by Honda Direct Line.

The pictures brought here by Lamont of the golden Rune was some of quite a bunch (more than 100), that HAL furnished all of us this way.

- Great job, HAL !

While working on forwarding the information and going thru posts on the BBR board and the GL1800 board, the following thoughts came up :

1 The Valk people seem very disappointed, no new Valk to them this year.
2 For sure mixed reactions from GL1800 people - especially on the GW air bag ! (it was to forecast after seeing the first pic!)
3 No reaction in here on the Rune Board (I expected it - why bother when You are a happy Rune owner ?)

Other thoughts that went thru my mind at the time was :

1 About the Rune at the show :

1a Is a Mickey Mouse inspired paint job and producing Mickey Mouse shaped mirrors and a Mickey Mouse shaped reflex sticker considered R&D work at Honda ? - I suppose You have read the reaction from Darek.

2a Why bring a Rune at show when the Rune is not in the official '06 programme ?

2 About the GW at the show :

2a Foot warmer device combined with heated grips and seat - nothing new here - the footwarmer device seen on the GL1500 SE about 10 years ago, the other thing are recent in the after market.

2b GPS - basicly nothing new, just built in.

2c Air bag - basicly nothing new (but first time on a bike, I think)(see Lamont´s comment elsewhere in here)

3 About the VTX at show :

3a New paint alternatives - basicly nothing new.

3b Is new paint options considered R&D work at Honda ?

- - -

Thus, I fully agree with you, Tim !

- What is going on ? - Is the R&D department just asleep ? - they don't seem to respond to the markets comments - is this considered R&D work - or are they spending their efforts on something icebreaking that we don't have a clue about ? (Actually - that has been experienced before with Honda - the last time time was the Rune !)

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
the Valk guys on the VRCC board are down right hostile with Honda. I don't blame them. Many VERY loyal Honda customers are now....finally giving up...and selling their HOndas and getting Triumph Rockets, Boss Hoss, Harley Road Kings, etc.

It's kind of sad....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Serious information "leak" at Honda plant in Ohio

Ladies and genlemen,

By the way, now that we're at it ... I'm one of quite few european board members in here, and I'm frequently on other, european boards.

Since May this year (I think), there have been discussed several rumours about the '06 GW on some of these boards.

- I can't help it - thinking that way and doing follow up's - I'm a danish CPA.

On one board a new member registered with the alias "Thewholetruth" on 22th August 2005, and the persons profile is the following with regards to location : "Honda, USA".

Right now the communication with that board member on that board comes to my mind, and it's some kind of spooky, now that I recall to my best best memory, that what was written by that board member on that board - was to my best recollection "right spot on" about the '06 GW.

As I recall not all was reveiled, but what was reveiled, was to my best recollection "spot on"...

I'll bring the posts from that person in here in this thread thru the weekend, so that You can judge Your selves, and then You can consider if I should ask the person the question "Will there be a '06 Rune ?" ....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.