Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes...I'm afraid to say, i have joined the ranks of the dreaded "thick black smoke"...and bike running like crap. It happened when i least expected it. I was on another ride today. Just like yesterday, weather was perfect...mid 70s and sunny. i rode 150 miles yesterday. Had ridden about 100 miles today when it happened. Had washed the bike last night (though i really don't think that had anything to do with it...i've washed the bike MANY, MANY times before without incidence). But it ran GREAT for the first 100 miles. Always started and ran fine. But suddenly....after about 60 miles of continuous riding with no problems....as i decelerated coming to a stop sign...it started running rough...and acted like it wanted to die. Then when i got to the stop sign and pulled in the clutch..it did die. My wife, who was riding behind me...said it sounded like crap...and smoke was bellowing out of it. I restarted it...reved it a few times...hoped it would go away. Once under way....it ran....but not smoothly. I rode it home another 20 or so miles. but every time i came to a light or stop sign...it wanted to die. if you reved it while at the stop sign...black smoke poured out. if you didn't rev it...it died. It started back up every time...but always ran rough and blew smoke. When i got home...exhaust were solid BLACK on the rear from the soot. Not good. Wife said it was even smoking black smoke going down the hiway at 65.

So ...it sounds like i have the throttle sensor problem...or whatever it was. I will look it up on the Tech board. I'll take the bike in Tuesday. I hope i can ride it the 25 miles into town. Lots of hiway speed riding ...which probably will be ok. But it's the stop lights I'm worried about...or if it starts running even worse. I'm assuming it's just running real rich...thus the soot?

Anyway, my bike (bought Aug 03)...with just under 10k miles...has the dreaded problem several others have reported here! Another one 'bites the dust'. i just hope they fix her quickly...and....DON'T SCRATCH ANYTHING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they can get it fixed under warranty...i just worry about them scratching stuff up when they work on it.

I'll keep you folks posted on what happens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
TBS

Red ...

:22yikes:
Read your saga and all the following posts in the general board. I hated to learn about this problem occuring to some of the Rune owners especialy since we all seem to really love this bike ... and most of us have been riding for decades.

:eek:4:

Most engineering fixes I have known that end up being needed get done and posted to dealers. I've only owned 6 Hondas and the first one was murder on my right calf but ... I have had impressive occasions when Honda has done the right thing ~ thankfully.

:biker:

Hope your fix is quick & permanent!! So you can get back to enjoying your bike :D

NH Bill
8)

·
Registered
32 Posts
big black smoke

Hated to hear of another smoking Rune. You may recall my saga in Daytona. It may not be an issue when it happens 25 miles from home and the dealer is aware of the problem. With me it was 1,250 mi and no dealer was aware of the solution. Very similiar situation as Danno5, he was from Utah.
Solution was replacement of throttle bodies. I love this bike but seems that Honda should have a recall. It certainly ruined my vacation in Daytona since i rode the bike down there. Like you, i have a hard time blaming water, no signs of moisture was found when local dealer solved problem. Good luck Met at Inzane, me with single wheel trailer

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i remember you Frank. BEAUTIFUL color matching (red) one wheel trailer on the Rune...first i had ever seen! Ya' looked good on that rig!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts