Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....i'm thinking folks haven't seen it. So, if you haven't taken the poll...please go to http://www.runeriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1142 and take the poll. EVERYONE has valve stems....so EVERYONE should take the poll.

Well....everyone who actaully has a Rune has valve stems :oops: There actually seems to be quite a few 'members' here who do NOT have a Rune. I wonder just how many of you are on here on the board? I might have to put a poll out some day ....asking how many have a Rune....and how many don't....on this board???

Go take the valve stem poll if you do have a Rune.....i'm trying to get a feel for if the bikes should have come with chrome covers on the stem....or not....

·
Registered
151 Posts
chrome valve stem covers

Our bike had chrome covers on them but we did not like them. So we made new ones.If any body want them just call Tom Jr at (954-749-9810) We will make them so when you screw the cover on it will go all the way down to the rim so it looks like the whole valve stem will look chrome. I think they are on our web site for 15.00 dollars a set www.dreammachining.com they are made from 316 stainless then triple chrome plated
shop dog

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i couldn't find them on there. all i could find was the pointy valve stem cap ....but no covers that cover the whole valve stem like i'm talking about. Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
151 Posts
chrome valve covers

your right the ones we have on the web site are the pointed ones.But we can do any shape or style you want. Our cap is the best way to go because you only have to buy the cap one time. When you screw it on it will go all the way down to the rim. That way when you change the tire out and they put the rubber tire stem on you just screw this cap on an you have a chrome valve stem and cap. If i get a chance we will run a pair or two and take some pictures this week .Plus i think the chrome valve stems are rather costly.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll post some pics of what i'm talking about. It's just a chrome cover that slips over the top of the rubber valve stem....goes all the way down to the rim. the whole 'package' you get when you order a 'valve stem assembly' from Honda includes the actual rubber valve stem, the chrome cap, this chrome cover i speak of, and a rubber o-ring to hold the chrome cover in place if the cap is removed and the valve stem is upside down on the tire....is all only about 7-8 bucks at your local Honda dealer. that's what you'll get if you order the valve stem replacement. I ALWAYS order one and replace mine with EVERY tire change. PERIOD. Several years ago i had TWO valve stem failures (on my Valk).....one on each a back tire and a front tire. The back tire was just a pain. the front tire failure was down right dangerous! Since then, i decided valve stem replacement with tire replacement was just good cheap insurance. the dealer used to replace them once in a while before that...when THEY thought it might need it. Now, i just do it every time.

I just found it interesting that ordering the valve stem replacement, you get this nice chrome cover....automatically. and looking at the poll, half of us didn't have that chrome cover from day one. wonder why that is?

·
Registered
151 Posts
chrome valve stem cover

Yes it is smart to change the valve stems every time you change the tire.Sometimes they crack and start to leak.I think Honda just ran out of the chrome caps and just use rubber ones. I know ours and my brothers had chrome caps . any way if you are want to see pictures of the cap i am talking about we will post them next week.These screw on to the stock rubber valve stem but they go all the way down to the rim.The chrome valve stems from Honda here cost 10.50 a set but you have to replace them every time you change the tire.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Chrome Caps

I have Rune #528 and have a chrome cap...Buttttt...it doesn't go to the wheel. It is the same size as a plastic cap... Tim ..if you received a bike with a chrome cap all the way to the wheel it happened after my bike was assembled. Or maybe I read your post wrong. :oops:

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First Tom, YES, PLEASE post some pics. I'm sure some of us would be interested!

Rich, let me repeat this one more time. BOTH my bikes originally came with NO chrome cover on the valve stem...just a rubber valve stem....WITH A CHROME CAP that screwed on it.

But....as i have replaced tires.....and ordered new valve stems to replace the old ones when i replaced tires....EVERY valve stem i ordered came with a 1) rubber valve stem 2) chrome screw on cap 3) CHROME COVER TO GO OVER THE RUBBER VALVE STEM THAT FITS OVER IT AND GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE RIM and 4) and o-ring that holds that chrome cover in place, should you remove the chrome cap...and the tire be positioned with the stem upside down (without the rubber o-ring, the chrome cap just falls off if the tire is positioned so that the stem is upside down....i checked and found that out!). So i went ahead and ordered some extra valve stems....which i EVENTUALLY will use as i do tire changes, and put the chrome covers on ALL my tires. So now ALL the tires on both my bikes have the chrome covers. the valve stem set i mention above...which comes with all four of those parts listed....runs 7.99 at my Honda dealer.

Comprende? I'll take some pics tonight and post. I was just curious if anyone's bikes CAME from the factory with the chrome covers. and if so, was there a pattern...like the chrome wheel ones did...but the spec 47 didn't...etc. So far...it's running 50/50...some do...some don't ...REGARDLESS of whether you had spec 47 or chrome wheels!

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here are the pics of what i have been talking about

....first....NO CHROME COVER....just the valve stem .....and of course....WITH a chrome CAP.....but NO chrome cover:

now WITH the chrome cover.....notice the difference! (subtle...but it's there...):

1 - 11 of 11 Posts