Rune Rider Forums banner

Picking Up My Rone This Saturday

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  sermonator 
#1 ·
I just received a call from the Honda dealer that my new Rune is ready to be picked up. I have been reading some of the posts about how responsive the throddle is and I am a little worried that I may not be able to handle the bike the first time out. I am 56 yrs old, 6' tall and 215 lbs., been riding since 1984, have had Yamaha Maxim, V-Max, Venture Royale, and since 1999 a 1600cc Roadstar. I have not had any problems with the other bikes. I will be loading on a trailer (snow flurries on Saturday) and I am wondering how I will do driving up the ramp. Looking forward to chating with you all and I appreciate your input. ..... God bless Mike

#2 ·
you should do fine. but there is an AMAZING amount of power and responsiveness in the Rune vs. the Road Star.....cause i've had both. for me...since i also had a Valk...it was no big deal. Also been riding since early 70s. For my wife, though....who was used to the Road Star (her bike)....the Rune took some REAL getting used to. She dropped it the second time she rode it trying to manuver it at low speed in a parking lot.

Just be careful and you'll be fine. Also, watch that clearance....both under the engine....and the rear fender...when you put it on the trailer. depending on the length of your gate...and therefore the angle and clearance. Sometimes when loading mine on the trailer, i have to put some small boards under the end of the trailer gate to lesson the angle....and even with that, sometimes i have to 'walk' the bike up the ramp under power...ie...NOT sit on the seat of the bike to not compress the shock...to give clearance. Just be aware of that.

First time i loaded my Valk on a trailer....before i was the VETERAN TRAILER QUEEN I am now :oops: ....I went to ride the bike on the trailer....didn't think about these clearance issues....rode on and WHAM...hit my lead headers on both sides on the bottom of the trailer where the gate meets/hinges on the trailer. It put a big old dent in both of them.

#5 ·
Hi Sermon,
dont worry about your first drive on the Rune. it is very soft.
j loaded my rune on a trailer. it is a weight bike so be sure at any moment you have your feet or you may pose your feet on a surface.
to be sure ask a friend to stand up near you. you will have no problem.
p.s. be sure the trailer ramp is proper to the bike weight hahahhahaha

ciao and enjoy your Rune

#6 ·
Ramp

Welcome aboard Sermon. If you have a full width ramp you can ride it up...you need a place to put your feet if you stop part way up. If like me your ramp is a narrow 20" wide portable... you will want to walk it up cuz if you have to stop part way up and have nowhere to go with you feet...you are in deep dodo. I have since gotten a wider ramp so I can ride it up but just a word of caution. You are gonna love this bike...

#8 ·
sermon,

Congrat's on your purchase. I picked my bike up on a cold late fall day and it started to snow.... still was able to get in a short round the block ride. Because I held out for a chrome wheel bike I had to wait a while.... that was bad enough ... but once I got it home it was worse having the bike and waiting for good weather... hope for a early spring.

Check out the VIN List board and post or send your info so I can add you to the list.

#9 ·
Tim / Chuck / Marune / E-Z / Rich & Hannibal

Tim / Chuck / Marune / E-Z / Rich & Hannibal,

Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I am really excited about owning and riding my Rune. My son Chris, rides a Yamaha R6, is going with me tomorrow when I pick up my bike. My trailer has a drop down stell mesh gate that is 5' wide. Hoping to meet you all some time in the near future. I 'll let you know how I made out. ..... Ride safe ... Mike

#10 ·
Hey, What Do I Know. Picking Up My Rune not a Rone.

It's kinda like the movie Open Range. When the guy who owns the livery was asked why he was limping, he says, "I got so excited that I stepped back and hurt my foot. It must of been that Cuba Cigar you gave me." I am so excited about picking up my RUNE that I spelled it RONE. Oh well. ...Ride Safe ..... Mike

#11 ·
Tim,

I have been reading about that on the message board. I am going to get online when I get home and see about room reservations. TN in September sounds great. ..... Mike

#12 ·
WOW What A Ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up my Rune this afternoon and I don't have to tell you how cool it was. My son Chris went with me and we took the F-150 and trailer. Decided to drive the bike the 120 miles home and what a ride. It was everything you all said it was and was way to cool for a 56 year old's heart. Ran into snow showers the last 15 miles but everything was ok, I just took it slow. Your advice as to my concern with the throddle was good. I had no problem with the clutch or throddle. Breaking is great, acceleration is great, I can't believe I actually found a Rune and was able to purchase it. Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement. Linda and I are heading to York, PA (we live on the MD - PA state line) to get some supper. Have a great night .... Mike

#13 ·
Mike, I didn’t know you are a once neighbor of mine. I had an office in Hunt Valley and lived in Towson; still own the Towson home.
Northern Maryland is beautiful in the summer, but at this time of year it sucks rocks!

I think we have a RuneRider member in Hagerstown.

Enjoy your Rune.

#14 ·
Chuck,

Its a small world. I work in Hunt Valley for KCI Technologies and we have an office some where in Florida. We are an engineering firm, I am not an engineer however, I am a project manger supervising about a dozen PM's who work in DC, Rockville, Balto., and in Wye Mills. I live in Freeland, MD about a 1/2 mile south of the PA line, 3 miles west of I-83, just below New Freedom, PA. Most of my family, 2 brothers, a sister and my Mom migrated to Florida about 6 years ago. John lives near Ft. Myers, Joe, Tee, and Mom live in Orlando. We are all looking for spring time but the weather forcast for this week shows highs of 40-42, and lows of 22-27. Send me up some of that warm sunshine. You know, Linda and I are coming to Florida the end of this month for our 37th wedding anniversary. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale and then driving to Key West. Bet you spring weather will hit home when I am in the Keys. Great chating with you. Stay well ..... Mike

#15 ·
Chuck,

I forget to mention I was in Hagerstown today. I picked up my bike from Criswell Honda in Gaithersburg, MD and shot through Hagerstown on my way home. The snow flurries where chasing me down the road and eventually caught up with me about 20 minutes from home. .... Mike

#16 ·
sermon,
Congrats on your purchase of your new baby.
You did well with buying the Rune. But if I were you I would not get any closer than you are right now to the person in Florida that you were conversing with. He will get you in deep trouble. He will gain your confidence, make you think he is your friend, and THEN he will say god awful bad things about you that most of us have to break out a dictionary to decifer. :wink: Be very cautious.
Good luck again,
Rich K ( Rune Ski ) I live in New Jersey, so you know you can trust ME

#17 ·
I am mortified by this unwarranted and appalling attack on my hospitable and gentle sole.
I have never published an unkind word about anyone from any of the 49 important States.
As an example of my generosity and good nature I am offering for edification the second reason God allows New Jersey to exist;
the first being NJ is proof positive Jehovah has a sense of humor.

In the City of Margate, New Jersey there is an elephant named Lucy. This magnificent creature has a stairway up her butt.
I have claimed into Lucy’s ass, truly the high point of my life.

Lucy's Vital Statistics and New Jersey's claim to fame

• Lucy stands 65 feet tall which is equivalent to six storeys.
• Lucy's body is 38 feet long and 80 feet in circumference.
• Lucy weighs 90 tons.
• More than 1 million pieces of timber were used to make Lucy.
• This wooden structure is covered with 12,000 square feet of sheet metal.
• Lucy has 22 windows.
• Lucy's legs are 22 feet high and 10 feet in diameter.
• Lucy's tail is 26 feet long.
• Lucy's tusks are 22 feet long.
• Lucy's eyes are 18 inches in diameter.
• Lucy's ears are 17 feet long and 10 feet wide, and each one weighs 2,000 pounds.

Let this serve as an inspiration to you Californians, you need a bigger Governor.

A FOOT NOTE:
I may be a gentle sole but I obviously have no life.
It is 81 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and I’m sitting here, like an idiot,
looking up statistics on a colossal New Jersey eyesore.

#18 ·
Now Come On Guys, Play Nice

RuneSki & Chuck

Sounds like the name of a 70's TV show. Oh now I remember that was Starski and Hutch. Got a question and I hope you can help. I found the lever that locks the front fork but I can't get it to lock. Do I lock it with the key in the off position and the handle bars turned hard left? I 've tried that and it doesn't engae. Won't you be glad when I get my owner's manual and can figure this stuff out on my own. The salesman at the Honda dealership knew absoluetly nothing about the bike other than the price. Hey lets have a contest betweem NJ and FL to see who can help me first. Thanks for your patience with me. ...... Mike

#20 ·
front end lock

with the key in the "off" position and the handle bars all the way over to the left. jiggle the lock lever while you wobble the handle bars slightly until the lever engages and locks the front end... just work with it a bit till you get it and each subsequent time becomes easier...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.