Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, An other question!

Still making good progress regarding all the EEC bike regulation ( THX to Hannibal help, and the couple of German Rune riders who already registred Rune in their country).
Question; I was told that the Rune delivered in California had catalytic exhaust pipes as required in Europe now...
Is this true ? is it an option you can order on any Rune ? or do you have to buy it from California to have it ?
Regards

·
Registered
534 Posts
Emmision regulations in the EU vs. US 49 states and CA

Jacques,

I´ll copy your private message of to day to me as a post on this thread as the next reply on this thread because I think the information in it will be of general interest for other european potential Rune riders.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jacques wrote to John DK in a private message

"Hi,
THx so much for your informations. I will ring those 2 guys to see if I ca learn more, and will keep you all posted on progress.
Regarding price, you are right, I have seen Rune prices up to KE 47 in Monaco !!
ill keep investigating regarding true French homologation/certification difficulties. Having in hand a German TUV, valid as Europen limited certification right, I feel I could built on it.
Today I will keep investigating a critical point, emission control. I need to understand if the US CARB2004 is equivalent to the Euro4 requirement. I will also have to find out if all RUne for sale in US from January 2005 are meeting the CARB2004 certification, or, only the "new" ones shipping from factory to dealers ( according to a Montreal Honda dealer )
Once again , many THX for your kind support.
Jacques

Comment :

(The two guys mentioned in this message from Jacques/Hispy05 is the two german dealers referred to by me in my post in the thread "Exporting a Rune to France" by Jacques/Hispy05 on the general message board)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CARB2004 polution control in US

Talking today to the Honda Rune support line, they could not tell why VTX 1300/1800 were already complying to California CARB2008 regulation ( it means they have catalizer pipes) and not the Rune...they try to come back to me.

Honda news wire:

Honda VTX 1800
One of the most remarkable attributes of the VTX engine is its ability to make serious power while staying true to Honda's environmental commitment: California VTX1800s exceed the CARB-California Air Resources Board-2008 emissions standards. To keep the VTX engine running strong and efficiently, an ECU (electronic control unit) manages a closed-loop emission control system utilizing air injection and a three-way exhaust catalyzer to deliver the optimum air/fuel mixture under all operating conditions.
VTX 1300
California model utilizes an exhaust catalyzer to reduce emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) to meet the 2004 California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions standards.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Emmision control and requirements in CA etc.

Hi Jacques,

I have made a Google search for the web site of the California Air Ressources Board (CARB) :

www.arb.ca.gov

I haven´t been able to find the specific CARB2004 or CARB2008 requirements on the site, the closest to the specific reqiurements is the following :

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/mailouts/m ... so0108.doc

From Terry (Runeator) on the board I received a private message in october ´04 advising me to get in contact with the California Department of Motor Vehicles :

www.dmv.ca.gov

I haven´t been able to find specific information abou the CARB2004 or the CARB2008 regulation there, either.

The department has an email facility on the web site under "contact us".
Telephone : 1 (800) 777-0133.

From Todd (Madroober) on the board I have received a very large private message in october ´04 with a copy from the Rune service manual regarding its emmisions. I only have a hard copy of it, otherwise I would send it to you by private message. I will not bor the board by typing it again on this thread, but I can type it to you in a private message, if you want, or perhaps Todd wil forward you a copy, too.

I´m not a technician, but as I understand of what Todd wrote to me, both the 49 state Rune and the CA Rune has catalytic converters built in the exhaust system, the difference between the 49 state Rune and the CA Rune is, that the CA Rune has an evarorative emmision control system, too, which is not in the 49 state Rune.

BTW : I think your approach on this issue is very good thinking ! - lots of common sense thinking, but very logical (comparison of requirements CARP2008 vs. EURO04), and with a good bit of critical attitude and approach to already achieved information, checking, looking for second opinions etc.

With all respect for the CA Gentlemen on the board, of whom several have told me : There can´t be a problem with the emmision on the Rune in EU - here in CA we have the world´s strongest emision reqirements ! - I think it is just not an idea but the right thing to do - to compare CA requirements with EU requirements - let´s see the DATA compared - period.

- It could be Schwarztenegger political BS or crab without ground in facts - just glued to the brains because said and told thousands of times - let´s see the DATA.

---

Have You found the specific contents of the Euro04 requirements, Jacques ? - I would like to know.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Emmision control and requirements in CA etc.

John DK said:
Hi Jacques,

perhaps Todd wil forward you a copy, too.
Hi John How have you Been?
For those who are interested I would be glad to post or send the info I sent John from the service Manuel just let me know.
Ride safe!

Todd

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, the only difference is that the CA Runes have the evaporative canister that collects fumes from the gas tank. The throttle bodies are also different as they have ports built into them to accept the collected fumes from the evaporative canister. And all of the associated tubing, etc...

I believe the canister is down in front of the radiator, where the oil filter is? I 'm not 100% sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.