Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions on how to protect your bike from theft while you are traveling overnight :idea: I know about parking it in a well lite location in view of your room, locking the steering wheel, putting a cycle cover on it, etc. Do you guys use wheel locks or plastic coated wire with lock, or that kind of thing? Thanks ..... Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some of the members here have alarms on their Runes. I don't (yet) but i do use a lock through the disk brake on the front. Mostly just a visual deterent. I use the Kryptonite New York Disk lock 3000. This is not one of the models that the lock can be picked.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very good question :!: .... I would like to know how well alarms actually work nowadays especially on the Rune,

Brake lock on the front wheel is certainly a good way to protect your beauty but beware.... in the chapter "people do stupid things" :oops: , I once forgot to remove the lock (on a GW, not the Rune), started the engine and moved fast ... I did not fall but did manage to break a number of parts :oops: ... the rotor had to be changed as well :oops:
Driving to the dealer without front brakes was kind of dum as well but luckily only a couple of miles ... in the $900-$1K to get it fixed ...

Put a reminder (those colorful straps) on your handlebar to make sure you don't forget the lock .. this would be a disaster !

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi, the best sistem for stoling a Rune or any other big bike is to load it on a small truck.
three man or only a man with a special truck may remouve the bike in 5/8 minutes.
if you use a big chain it would be necessary to use an electric portable tool
(disk) for cutting. the problem for thieves would be the noise.
a radio alarm should be the best way but look for an alarm inquiring any 10 seconds the bike transmitter. (an iron net could be used by thieves as a Faraday cover. the radio signal will not pass it.
J do not know the Usa situation on bikes and car stoling. j suggest a good insurance.
in italy this situation is very bad. stolen car and bikes may cross the border to east countries in few hours.
good luck
Hannibal

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is a bulletin from the M/C I belong to (Florida). Just for informational purposes.

I received a call from Lee County. They wanted to let everyone know that they have a group of thieves working their area hard. Apparently they are in a white panel van. They have a lift on the right side of the van. When you park your bike, alarm or not, they roll up to your bike, lower the lift, dump the bike on it's side on the lift and the lift them dumps it into the interior of the van. It takes all of about 20 seconds.

They are taking any kind of motorcycle from cruisers to crotch rockets. Information is that they are Hispanic males. There is one witness there and the heat is on so they believe they may move from the Lee County area. The only prevention seems to be putting your scoot in an area where they would not be able to get a van next to it. It's like burglar alarm on your house. If its too much trouble they will move on to the next one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked into LowJack but it is not available for cycles in the Balto / Washington area.

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
vince

That is a terrible and devilish thing to say, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Too, it’s funny and probable will work. :clap2:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I purchased lojack with the early warning system. If somebody messes with my bike and they don't have the key fob to deactivate the system, I get a phone call immediately. If it is confirmed that the bike is stolen, the lojack system goes on and the police do their thing.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Gator what did that sort of system set you back?? And what type of area does it cover? A dealer told me that some of those systems only cover a limited area!! Due to the number of towers! JRR05!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
JolyRuneRider05 said:
Gator what did that sort of system set you back?? And what type of area does it cover? A dealer told me that some of those systems only cover a limited area!! Due to the number of towers! JRR05!
i almost purchased that system.......but limited area like you stated and
over $700.00 since insurance was going to pick up tab i opted out......

39 more

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
the Rune is low production, and a low demand for used parts now..

And when is the last time you called 911 when you head a car alarm go off. My reaction to hearing one is usually, TURN that thing off!!!

My buddy who has a couple of vintage biks( a 56 HD and a 46 Indian Chief
and he carries a big chain with a cover on it. IT would be near impossible to cut it with bolt cutters, but it has to weigh a ton.

I like the idea of lojac, but to be honest with you, if had a stolen bike I dont know if I would want it back after it was stripped or pounded to death.

I just park my rune in a populated area and lock the steering. The post about the van is good info as well

·
Administrator
1,286 Posts
I had LoJack installed from the dealer. VA is covered widely by this and the system has a history of leading authorities to chop-shops. I can only hope never to need it. :cop2:

-Ollie

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I have.............

I have a seperate policy with my insurance company for a two year period at 100% return if it's stolen only. A small fee for that! I'd like to catch a thief! Let the fun begin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts