Sounds like quite a ride.. keep up the descriptions of riding through Italy and we will be asking for a series of pics soon! Closest I have been is watching the DVD, Under the Tuscan Sun... unbelievable scenery.. can't imagine Runeing it.. must be awesome... Chris.
as j had a long ride in Usa j may say that italian riding is very different.
we have a large net of roads connecting towns. these road sometimes are very small comparated with Usa roads. the country is mainly on mountains or hills so you get a quantity of turns.
An Harley is not the bike for riding in italy as no enought power.
any turn you have a different scenary. along the road we have towns each 10/20 miles.
Toscana is quite all a valley from the sea (west) to Florence the sides are hills.
from Florence to the east there are mountains.
a ride to italy could start from milano airport. direction france/swiss border following the mountains roads and reaching the sea near Ventimiglia. following the coast till Pisa than to Florence, Bologna, Verona Venezia up the mountains to the austria border and returning to Milano.
10 days are enought. around 1500 miles max.
than you you will ask for remaining in italy hahhaha
check here for toscana http://www.turismo.toscana.it/new/index.html
This post just bring up GOOD memories - from a time far away ! ..
- - -
I have "done" the following regions of Italy on bike : Treti-Alto Adige, Veneto, Lombardia, Piemonte and Liguria.
- - -
I had just finished my Bachelor in Economics, and I've got a scholarship for my MBA, so the Wing, my girl friend and I were ready to go on holiday !
- - -
Rode to Munich, Southern Germany the first day.
Next day over the Alp´s in heavy rain via the Brenner pas (not the tunnel) and in to sunny Italy to Bolzano.
Next day to Venice.
A few days in Venice
Then west over to Allessandria via Verona in one day
Joined the Maradona Rally there that year
Next stop a camp site (for a week) at the coast between San Remo and Vengtimilia - via Savona
Next stops Grenoble and Geneva, France
Next stop Mulhouse, France
Next stop Braunschweig, Germany via Frankfurt
Then home to the north.
- - -
I recall :
- The beauty of the Italian women,
- Venice as the most fantastic city I've ever visited - there is nothing like sitting on the Marcus place with a drink in sunny weather
- One of the worst hang overs in Venice I´ve ever had - due to Austrian Stroh Rum and cola - bought a bottle in a hurry at the Austrian/Italian border - and the bottle was flat, so I took that because it was convenient in the luggage - didn't observe in the twilight taking the first glass of Rum and Cola that it did held 80 %.
- The leather dress damping from the drying process getting down fro the Alps to sunny north Italy,
- Riding west from Venice on a straight in line high way in sunny warm weather in an area that almost seemed to bee a desert - in T-shirt and jeans doing not under 130 km/t with out getting cold at all,
- The land getting green again farther west
- Camping on a grave Yard at the Maradona Rally - with permission,
- The fantastic ride from Allessandria to Savona the more and more curvy high way in hills and small mountains, over the several spectacular bridges
- The first breathtaking sight of the Mediterranean See, I had at that time never seen water so blue,
- Sitting on a cliff at water on the Italian Riviera in the night with a glass and a bottle of red (local ?) wine feeling the dry, warm breeze from the Sea,
And so on ...
- - -
I think Italy have given me my best riding experience ever ...
- The only competitors are :
- Riding in the Ardennes in Belgium in good weather
- Riding the heck out of it on AfsluitDijk in Netherlands - I think about 20 km's on a dike with water on both sides at high speed,
so if you reached Alessandria by the highway you crossed my town Voghera, on the highway there is a large write " 45° parallelo " you look at left and you see my factory.
you went from Alessandria to Savona . you should test Alessandria Genova Savona. but not during rains. the segment Serravalle Scrivia /Genova is like a formula 1 montecarlo.
and concerning the Holand Dam. you ride up the water.
came now in my area you ride at the same level of water (we have the largest world coltivation of rise after China and Vietnam) a lot of frogs in the evening on the road and all restaurants are serving fried frogs hahahhaha
Hi brothers, came to ride in italy but first ask Hannibal instructions hahahha
- Riding in the Toscana region You must have been very far from home - how long did You ride on Your Rune on that trip ?
- Oh I forgot to mention the spectacular ride along the coast from Savona to nearby Vengtimilia in the mountains and with a spectacular view over the blue Mediterranean Sea to the left a in perfect warm weather ...
j started from LosAngeles-las vegas GC wiliams ,navajo nation ,GC
utah down saltlakecity to yosemite and back to losangeles. next time j go to north. j missed this year due business but j wish to return.
Hi John. j left 7.00 am. voghera genova pisa castelfiorentino- pontedera.
in the evening at 7.00 pm j wanted to return visiting my daughter in modena. so j mouved to florence where j found rain and ice. so j camed back to pisa (40 km under rains) and back to genova and voghera. j arrived at 10.30 pm from pisa to genova the wind was little warm so j dried. j have to say that the weather for all day and till florence was excellent.
j presume a ride of 800 km may be more, 70 euro gasoline=58 liters
the main problem was the highness of the windshield, j changed with a new one and it is too high. wet from rains does not allow a good view. it is necessary to cut the windshield at the eyes level we must be able to see up the windshield.
Sun up : 4.36 AM to day here
Sun set : : 10.00 PM to day here.
At midnight we have some light in the North, the sun is not so deep below the horizon ...
An other matter for pleasant riding weather in the evenings is temperature : 10 degrees Celsius (approx. 50 degress Fahrenheit) to day at 10.00 PM - and thats cold for season - is it El Nino year this year ? - 13 degrees Celsius in the middle of the day.
What we here call "tropical nights" (temeratures above 20 degrees Celsius) are guite seldom here - it happens not every year.
The best month in the Year for evening riding is August with pleasant temperatures in the evening.
I think the climate here is comparable to the climate in some of the states in the North East part of US, MI etc., or Southern part of Canada, but the winthers are not so cold here as "over there " - we have a lot water around us to keep temperatures up in the winther ..