Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in Appleton WI over the weekend... Honda/Triumph dealer there had a Rocket out front... Got to talking with him ...told him how awesome the Rune is... I wasn't riding this weekend because of fear of snow flurries... He asked if I would like to take the Rocket for a test ride... It seems like Triumph is REALLY encouraging the dealers to allow riders to trial the Rocket... So everyone should go to Triumph dealer asap and ask for a test ride... I expected to feel the superiority of this machine over the Rune and expected to less than whole after riding it and having to return to my lowly Rune...I figured I would feel like I would definitely want to upgrade to the Rocket after riding it...The first thing I noticed was that it felt very similar to the 1800 VTX as I mounted it...It sits high and has a short wheel base as compared to the Rune... the wheelbase actually felt shorter than either VTX (1300 or 1800) I started it and noticed that as I revved it..it whipped to the right side... I assummed because the 3 cylinders are all on that side... felt a bit like holding a running router with one hand...just felt out of balance. I took a slow ride for a couple blocks near the dealership before heading out on the expressway to get a real feel for it... Being shorter and lighter than the Rune made it feel like a very small bike.... I noticed the imbalance thing again as I "coasted" up to a stop light when I revved it..it actually suprised me again with the whip to the right.... I am sure it would not take long to get used to it....just very different feel froma PERFECTLY balanced RUNE. The power is sooooo obvious... As I accelerated onto the highway I had the same feeling I had when I first squezzed the throttle on the Rune...I was afraid I would spin the wheel right out from under me... As I played with it a bit.... I felt if I really squeezed the throttle down I would be out of control (I am a conservative driver to start with) I felt as if I was being pushed back on the seat as I squeezed down..same as I first felt on the Rune.... It was a similar differential feeling as going from my 1300 VTX to the Rune...going from my Rune to the Rocket... It is as one of you folks said in the past ...like mounting a scalded cat.... The light weight and tremendous power was scary for me.... Seemed like it would be too easy to get out of control.... The ride was ok though... Would I ever consider moving to a Rocket from the Rune????? Never in a million years... At a distance, the Rocket looks similar to the Valkyrie from the "cylinder" side. From a distance it looks like anyother bike on the road.... much more powerful but no uniqueness to its look . It handled similar to an 1800 VTX.... no comparison at all to the Rune. From a design point of view..it had a couple neat little features around the gas tank design and some of the chrome fittings molded to it.... However.. this is Triumphs showpiece bike ..they have a nice looking chrome radiator cover...that as far as I could tell is totally PLASTIC ...geezuz..what is up with THAT!!!!!! Anyway..If you want to cut a 15' x 15" shrub with a 50 horsepower 48" bar chainsaw... just so you have 10 times the power you need. This bike is for you....If you want to say you have the most HP (around 130-140 on the Rocket) this bike is the one for you.... This is a bike I could not relax on...My Rune is like riding on the Milky Way...smooth. This IS a monstously powerful machine...scary fast... With the high profile gas tank it has the appearance and a bit of the feel of a BMW as you sit on it... If the Rune had never been born (yes born - it is a living creature :bow1: ) I would probably consider this.... One weird thing that struck me... I expected a bear of a growling roar from this machine...It has a sound of its own...and to me (at least with stock pipes) not very impressive.... I have ridden the Rocket...I own the Rune.... I am content and can not for the life of me understand (unless power is his only passion) why the fella that dumped and totalled his Rune on the black ice back in December or January would EVER chose a Rocket over the Rune... Anyway...I encourage all Rune Riders to test ride this machine... I believe you will walk away knowing you own THE most awesome machine ever..save none. God I love my Rune... :pepper1: :pepper1: :1st: :pepper1: :pepper1:

·
Registered
195 Posts
That sounds exactly like the experience I had on the Rocket. It's all about the power and that is all that bike has going for it.

It's kinda like explosive diarrhea. :twisted:

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
Your narrative is exceptionally descriptive and very well written; I felt as though I had taken the test ride.
OK……….well maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, I didn’t get goose bumps.
However, I did get a clear enough picture to know I have no interest in actually taking one.

When I’m on the road with the Rune it’s like being the strutting Drum Major leading the :lucky: Saint Patrick’s Day Parade,
all eyes are on me.
There are a lot of guys with funny hats following along, but the Drum Major has the best looking fedora.

If I were riding a Rocket III in traffic, on a public highway, the only thing that would be on my mind is, these people don’t know
:pepper1::pepper1: :1st: I own a RUNE:pepper1: :pepper1: !

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi sitedata.
if anyone look at acceleration j suggest to address to Cape kennedy.
may be you can find also some cheap icbm (intercontinental balistic missile) in ex urss.
When Michelangelo get the Mose sculpture used an hammer to one of his legs asking "why do'nt you speak?" that is the reason j have a small spot on the front fender :lol:
Rune has a fantastic view. when you seat up you are "a gentleman"
ciao
hannibal

tks for news on rocket, j am expecting the locale dealer sell the one in his showroom so j will meet on the road the owner :twisted:

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Hi all,
My friend from work is looking to purchase a rocket III. We read the test comparison between the Rune ,Rocket and the Kowi 2000. He stated the Rocket is MUCH faster than the Rune and the Kawasaki.
I said yes it "might" be faster. But you can't go fast "all the time", but the Rune looks GOOD "all the time". He shut his mouth and walked away.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rocket

Great description.. but I ask, what's with that chrome clamshell on the side of the tank? I don't get that piece. But what an engine... still, when I describe the ride of my Rune to people, I just use the description of :wink: WHOOSH under me.. no other way to describe the flat six.. d'ya agree?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Great tip! You cant go fast all the time, and the Rune looks Great all the time!

However, I did go for about 100 miles in Kansas at 110+ MPH on my way to Denver. A stiff crosswind and those bushes that roll across the road were fun to dodge. The Rune will accellerate you right into the Pokey fast enough.

And, someone said previously: the Rocket is a 1 trick pony... fast... but a bit ugly.

Ken

·
Registered
49 Posts
Waht surprised me about the rocket is how peaky the power delivery is - I expected the torque curve to be extremely linear, like the rune, but it seemed to kick in big time mid revs.

Why is beyond me - perhaps a bit of tweaking of the ECU..?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts