Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that it's time for an update for my fellow Rune Riders and I definitely wish it was a better one.

I'm going to take a moment here to give you all something to read, all of which is absolutely the true account of what happened, both to help make up for my lost time around here (I've been extremely busy, sorry) and also to hopefully add a bit of life to our forum...at least for a bit.

Where we reside is a generally quiet, tucked away, right on the outskirts of larger city environment, while still not putting us out in the middle of nowhere with non-existent (or downright criminal costing) utilities type of an area. We have no shortage of places to go and things to do but our streets here are mostly well-networked two-lane streets with at worst moderately light traffic during busier snow-bird months. The riding community here is well established, very large, and you will see a bike in probably 60% of the garages and driveways in our neighborhood which generally says that the people here are used to riders all year long. All of that being said things definitely still happen, you just really always want to believe it won't be to you...especially not while you are on your Rune.

We are about 5 minutes away from direct, main highway access via 4 side streets with almost no traffic, ever, and 1 main street with 5 lanes of average to semi-busy traffic. It is both exceptionally convenient and relatively stress-free as a rider that I am able to minimalize in-town riding on my daily commute to work in both directions. I still always ride with my full leather, certified jacket, full-faced helmet, leather gloves, and reinforced leather boots no matter that it can be 120° on a given day, and in the back of my mind I absolutely always remind myself that "60% of accidents happen within 5 minutes of home or in parking lots"... Always.

The last side street on my commute brings me past a few "can be busy" businesses (Motel 6, Waffle House, Gas Station) as this is a "last chance" exit on a major highway for travel, trucking, tourism, and commuting. There has always been slight issues with Waffle House patrons as the parking lot is extremely small and has maybe 15-18 parking spaces, and of course everyone wants "up front" spaces. It is altogether common for people to stop in the middle of the street and wait to see if someone is leaving the parking spaces up front, while holding up anyone behind them. This is usually only 1-3 people but it is still an absurd thing to do and definitely frustrating and unfortunately something that you have to both be expecting to happen and learn to just wait out.

About a month ago I was riding into work, as I do every single day of the week as a business owner and dedicated rider, and found myself behind a large GMC truck pulling a long, steel meshed, landscaping trailer filled with every tool essential for commercial services as well as barrels of yard refuse and debris when they came to a sudden stop...right at the F'ing Waffle House. I stopped quickly, was fine, and sitting about 6-8' behind the trailer waiting for this person to figure out that there was zero possibility of them pulling that truck into that tiny ass parking lot at all, ever. This can sometimes take certain members of our species a considerably insane amount of time, this was no exception as I was sitting for almost 2 minutes behind this trailer.

And then the trailer starts coming towards me in a very hasty reverse... And I'm now processing my options in a slow-motion train wreck of a situation! I half-contemplated driving into the opposite lane as quickly as I could before I had no room but shut that down immediately as I couldn't see if there was anyone coming at me in that lane and also because if I did not make that maneuver fast enough I would be taking that trailer straight into my entire right side, and definitely losing that leg. There is no shoulder to the right here and there is a high-curbed sidewalk almost flush to the traffic lane, leaving maybe 8" of space there anyway making no option to go anywhere to my right either. I had no one behind me, which at first seems good but in actuality would probably have been better because as I am left with slowly backpedalling, repeatedly clicking and holding on the horn, and worthlessly yelling (in a full faced helmet) maybe if there had been a car there they could have garnered more attention.

So... I watched helplessly as a fully loaded trailer, being pushed by an enormously overpowered heavy duty truck, rolled quickly and brutally directly into and onto my front end and dropped my Rune onto its left side and onto my left leg. The driver did stop after hearing the scraping metal and seeing one of their other crewmembers running out from the Waffle House and pointing behind the trailer. The people in the truck, driver included, all jumped out as I continued swearing and being as pissed as you could imagine.

I pulled my leg free, put weight onto it, and was surprised to find that besides feeling a bit stressed and pulled I was completely okay. If we are being honest here, as I was there looking at my Rune with a crumpled front fender, lacerations in my ridiculously expensive Metzler 888 front tire, laying on its side I would have absolutely traded a broken leg for all of it. I've been there before between sports, martial arts, fighting, snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX riding, mountain climbing, and a lifestyle full of insane decisions that my body has recovered from. It would have been less gutting than staring at my Rune on that street...from pure idiotic choices.

The crew were extremely mortified, the driver the most, and absolutely there was no question on how we ended up there or where fault lay. We exchanged information, I contacted my insurance on the spot to verify what they wanted me to do, took pictures of the scene, my bike, the trailer, the truck, and in the ended found no reason to invoke a police or medical presence as there was no necessary reason. I did make a report over the phone with the police department just to be thorough. We were able to push the bike off of the street, into the Waffle House parking lot, I was able to bend the fender enough to actually drive back to my home after thoroughly checking over everything, and get into work only slightly behind schedule. What a grand morning!

Since that day I have been dealing with insurance BS galore as they have absolutely want to contest and fight every estimate showing what is necessary to get my Rune repaired properly and contest that their appraiser does not see some of the repairs as pertaining to the accident. The real reason being that a complete lack of certain parts will require custom fabrication and the costs aren't to their liking but are still drastically under the valuation of my Rune given condition, mileage, and it being a g*damned Rune.

So right now I am out of pocketing my repairs as I refuse to have this impact my insurance while this battle of bullshit continues, it is absolutely impacting my life, my business, and my overall everything but it's where we are and it's what we have to weather regardless. It's how my life rolls it would seem, nothing is every easy but honestly I have pushed through so much more than this that I will not ever allow such situations to sink me or even moreover my family and those who count on me minute to minute and day to day.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope that all of you are well and surviving this crazy world that we are dealing with as it comes as us.

I will add some pictures here of the accident just for historical purposes I guess, and I will let you know where it all ends up in the long run... Hopefully with me back on my Rune and riding!

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
Man, that SUCKS. But you described it quite clearly.....I can't think of anything you could have done given the circumstances. I had a car back into me in a parking lot similarly back in the 70s. Same basic kind of thing. They wanted a certain parking space....had stopped abruptly....then threw it in reverse....and backed right into me. Bent the forks on the smaller 650 Yamaha I had back then. I know that sinking feeling. Ok, sort of. A 1973 Yamaha 650 twin cylinder bike taking damage is NOTHING like a Rune taking damage!!!!!!!!!!

Again, so sorry to hear it. Hope you get it all fixed back up and looking good. I know some of the story on your quest to get a Rune....and now to have this happen.....just plain sucks. But come to think of it, it would just plain suck for anyone in any similar circumstance. Let us know when ya' get it fixed back up..........and you never know, sometimes some folks have some spare parts laying around they might part with. Like I'm wodering if that left exhaust cover is likely scratched on the very bottom edge from laying over like that? Someone could have that piece....like someone that changed out for RIVCO 6 pack. Just a possibility..................if you couldn't find the part through a vendor.............

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
But I'd be remiss if I didn't add....and not to offend or come off like some kind of expert....but.....all my years of defensive driving make me always think "how can this be messed up". And one of my key goals is to ALWAYS be seen.....so that "parking lot thing" never happens to me again (I was YOUNG back then, like under 21). So I always try to position myself where I can be seen....always changing "wheel tracks/positions" as I ride down the road....analyzing traffic all around and anticipating what could go wrong....and ...trying to remain visible to avoid those possible accidents. And yes, that's one of my "things"....is always trying to put the bike in a position where the guy in front of me can see me in his mirror(s). Granted, in your case, you may not have had time to do that if he stopped real quickly to "check out the parking lot". But I'm just saying, that would be at the top of my mind.....getting some lane position where he could see me....to TRY to prevent that. You know, the old "if he can't see you in his mirrors, he doesn't know you're back there" thing. I even go so far as when I park in parking spaces, I park the bike "way out" towards the "front" or entrance of the parking spot.....so those a$$holes that come "flying in to a parking spot" are more likely to see the bike right up front....and NOT hit it. Verses parking closer to the back or curb ....where they may not see it, come flying in to park....and realize at the last second (cause they're looking for CARS....NOT bikes)...."oh no, there's a bike there". Bam......too late............

I know, hind sight....and....I WASN"T THERE....so I don't pretend to know all the details and what could or could not be prevented. But I'll bet like me, that scenario will now be "up front" in your mind in future riding adventures! I even find myself CONSTANTLY looking in the mirrors of OTHER people's cars I'm riding in as a passenger (in the front seat). I'm constantly....as they approach a light for instance....looking in my passenger side mirror trying to see if some car is about to rear-end me. It's an old defensive bike "thing" I can't break....and I'm glad I do that!

Just felt I should be honest and add that observation....for whatever it may or may not be worth. I still say it sucks and very likely ....there possibly wasn't anything you could REASONABLY do?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are absolutely right, no offense taken. I am always trying to be in the mirror visibility of any vehicle and in this circumstance I was even behind this truck thinking "man, I am in horrible positioning and really had no chance to stop in a better sight line" and right as I was contemplating adjusting myself and looking around to make sure that I could make those adjustments when the reverse began. In hindsight I was sitting there long enough, with possibly enough room to try to adjust into better sight of his mirrors... I am always making sure of such things but honestly I was absolutely not thinking that this guy would reverse in the middle of a traffic lane, pulling a trailer, without some slight forethought.

I'm working on it and will definitely be back to riding soon, and I will be even more proactive with ANY type of situation even remotely similar to this going forward...forever. All my years now of riding, in countless states, making cross-country treks, even on bikes that I have 0 experience with (Hello Rune), with an always defensive mindset that has kept me out of a million and one possibly horrific situations just to be the one "accident" I am stuck with.

I know that this could have been MUCH worse and there are so many tragic accidents with motorcycles and I feel for every single one, it will always suck when your number comes up though no matter how slight it is. It's been a solid run without any such incidents so I am going to move past it, be grateful for the overall safe outcome, and be just that much more cautious to hopefully retain this as my one and only "accident". I will never not ride and I absolutely refuse to garage my Rune, it's my daily driver and will be until one, or both of us tap out completely.

I appreciate your kind words and support! You have all always been fantastic and I am eternally grateful to have you all out there as friends, fellow riders, and an absolutely awesome group of enthusiasts all around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's an often asked question but one that I need input on directly now since this situation:

I obviously now need a new front tire and the original stock OEM Dunlop is... Sold out everywhere at retail, if found elsewhere costing more than my previous Metzler 888, and honestly a terrible tire in my, and a lot of others, opinion.

With that... after installing a new front fender, at a fantastic cost and plenty of fun install time obviously, I am now seeing tire to fender rub on the brace at the rear of the fender and slightly at the front left edge as well. This is definitely concerning and it wasn't present on the last fender with this exact tire, as I bought a replacement Metzler 888 170/70 for this repair seeing as the previous one is lacerated too deeply for comfort.

Let's see if we can get some help in this area if at all possible from you long time Rune owners and owners who have experience with such things please, it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
CAVEAT: I don't run other tires on my Rune.....as I won't run a "rear" tire on the front, and I won't run any undersized tire (from OEM spec) on the front....so I ONLY run the OEM Dunlop.

Now, with that said....and that obviously means I'm NOT an expert on this and have ZERO experience with other tires, I have over the years (as Administrator who reads EVERY post) seen others on here comment about having to "shave" some of the sidewall of some tires down in order to get clearance and not rub (I think it was the sidewall....at least, I'd hope that's what I saw/read.....would hate to think you'd scrape off tread!). I seem to remember some talking about spinning the tire and using a rasp or file....or sandpaper....or SOMETHING like that. I'm sorry I can' recite EXACTLY what I've read over the years....it was long ago, and as someone who would never do it, I had little interest in the details and didn't pay enough attention to be able to "regurgitate" word for word the process now years later. I just remember thinking at the time....for me, it was just one more of my own reasons I wouldn't do that (go with a rear tire on the front or something other than OEM size). I won't go into all my other reasons....I've done that multiple times before....and no one wants to hear (or cares) what I think about that. And that's no doubt as it should be.

Try searching through some of the old posts about running OTHER tires on the front...and I feel pretty confident you'll stumble on some of those posts about needing to shave down the sidewall a bit. I'll bet you bought the bike with the Metzler on it...and the previous owner already gave it "a clean shave", as it were. That's my bet/guess.............

Hope this helps some...........

·
Administrator
1,323 Posts
Tim’s memory is correct. I have a fairly large Avon on the front and had to shave the sidewalls a bit so it would clear the side of the fender. I’d post the exact size but I’m away from home on a trip at the moment.

-Ollie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now the biggest problem is honestly that it is rubbing, and looking at the old fender had been doing it there as well, on the inside brace at the rear of the fender. Not drastically but enough to clear it of clearcoat and paint. It doesn't feel like much of a wear but it is present on the old fender and is slightly noticeable on the new one. I'm pretty sure it will go away after a hundred or so miles, that obviously happened with the last fender that was running this same tire.

I'm wanting to see if anyone has information on this situation and how much I need to be concerned as there are already slight compromises being made in running the rear on the front in a reverse mounted direction.

I have been searching through posts trying to find more information and while I'm seeing some mentions I am not really finding much and most are about sidewall rubbing which is altogether a much simpler solution. Thank you all, I'm sure that this will be a good thing to have updates too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I, too, tried running that wider front tire size a few years ago, and had to gently remove a tiny amount of it's sidewall rubber (with a rasp) to clear the fender stays. When sitting level, the tire cleared the fender by mere thousandths of an inch and looked OK to ride. HOWEVER, after wearing that tire down in the twisties and having to replace it, I noticed (TO MY COMPLETE HORROR) that it must have continued rubbing ever so slightly the entire time I had it mounted and used it normally. The inside of that tire showed signs of excessive heating and had a lot of delamination occurring right where it was rubbing! And although I greatly preferred that larger tire sizes' handling aspects, I went back to a narrower profile tire. I went to a BT45 140/70-18, had good luck with two or three of them, and now am running a BT54 in the same size. The BT 140/70 looks a bit skinny in there, but I've had great luck getting better mileage out of them while not requiring a new bank loan each time I buy a tire.

If you ride hard in any curves, the Rune is going to eat front tires, I think, no matter which one you choose to put up there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've definitely caught a rash...

Results of riding at 65 on the highway for about 10 miles. We did some modifications to the inside rear brace to try and get the slight bit of clearance needed but the results show that this tire is still contacting somewhere enough to very quickly bring about some pretty nasty rash wearing.

Obviously when the tire is getting up to temp and deforming as it is designed to there is some non-compatibility happening that was not present on the previous fender. There was wearing on the rear brace of the previous fender but absolutely no rash or deformation of this same tire whatsoever. Thisleads me to believe that the other fender possible had previously "worn-in" from a similar experience or had been filed/rasped to achieve the clearance necessary to accommodate a different tire size.

This is absolutely not a great outcome for this whole situation and every time it seems like I should be past it and back on my Rune something takes a turn for the worse. At this point I am going to order yet another tire, this will be the 4th tire that we are trying (the Metzler from the accident is what is in the pictures) and so far none are making the cut. All of the tires have been making contact, so far the other 2 we have tried were much worse than the Metzler, and we're removed immediately and returned.

The Metzler has the best load rating of any compliant tire that we had found previously when I had my Rune re-shoed and since this issue wasn't present I felt that we had a winner. It performed well and I have had zero complaints about the tire, other than its price as a Metzler. All that being said... I am going to be ordering in the Bridgestone BT54 140/70-18 and we shall see where this leads us.

Just to be clear: the original Dunlop does not exist for sale, we have searched heavily and if it can be found it is offered by third parties at ridiculously shitty and outrageous pricing that I refuse to pay to vultures. I have zero interest in feeding such creatures and I would scrap the bike before getting involved with such things. If there were originals out there, at accurate prices, then we would have already been there and done that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Holy schiit! That ain't supposed to happen. And it ain't safe - PERIOD. The tire size previously discussed on this forum was too wide - side to side - not too tall. There's simply no way the size tire you show in these pictures should ever be installed on a Rune with a stock front fender. Wow.

BT54 140/70-18 - is currently working well for me. I also had good luck with the former BT45, which apparently is no longer made. I have a BT46 (I was unaware of when I bought the BT 54) on the tire pile I will be installing after I wear out this BT54.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. And the fact that it had ZERO issue in the old fender at all is just infuriating and confusing as all hell. This happened even after we altered the fender to compensate for the rubbing we recognized upon mounting the fender and tire so whatever it has been contacting is pretty substantially touching. The fact that it chewed up that center path so quickly is definitely concerning and why we are removing the assembly, ordering a new BT54 tire, checking where the rubber is showing inside of this fender, and making any possible adjustments before trying all over again.

Hopefully I will be back to a drivable Rune again... Otherwise there is another discussion about to go down 😬

·
Administrator
6,993 Posts
So ......I'm a bit puzzled. I just did a search and found the OEM Dunlop at multiple places.....for prices like $226. Granted, I haven't had to buy a tire in YEARS....since I don't ride near as much. But $226 for that OEM front tire seems like a very similar price to what I paid last time. Is a price like $226 really "that bad"? And the fact I found multiple places in about 15 minutes of searching.....just has me a little curious. I mean, if you don't like the OEM....I get that. That's ALL I'll run, since no one carries this EXACT size tire for the front.....and I don't want to deal with the MANY issues running other tires CAN cause....and YOU are in FACT dealing with one of those issues NOW!

But your earlier post made it sound like the OEM couldn't be found....or if it could ....rarely, it was "an arm and a leg". Am I missing something? I mean, you had me worried for a while there.....cause again, I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT run any rear tires on the front, under size tires, over size tires.....so.....that leaves........ONLY....the OEM. So when you made it sound like they couldn't be found or I'd have to rob a bank to get one, seriously....I got worried. Cause I'll need one soon! But fifteen minutes on the internet and I realized I didn't have any issues after all.....

So is the 3rd place I found with the OEM in stock....is $226 and free shipping REALLY that bad? I certainly don't think so...........

Now, will that OEM front tire only last about 7-10k....depending on a lot of factors, like what tire pressure you run......road surfaces/types.....etc, YEP.....you're absolutely correct on that. I run 47 psi on that front tire....about as much as I would want to run.....and still keep good traction and function. But it lasts closer to 10k running that higher pressure. At 42 psi, it would only go about 6-7k miles. Admittedly, THAT.....is the part that sucks............to me anyway! It's just too much bike for that tire I think........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any actual help on "Where is this tire in-stock?" since you have mastered the ability to interwebs better than us on our end please?

You left ZERO links to a single tire but keep saying it is in stock everywhere. We have spent more time searching for this tire, not just now but previously when I swapped to the Metzler as a result of nowhere stocking the OEM, than I ever have had to for any vehicle I have ever owned.

If they are so available then I don't understand why people would be stockpiling them to avoid not being able to buy them... And they are absolutely on third party places like eBay, Amazon, etc for the worst price ever. Currently all that I'm seeing is "back ordered" and when we called vendors, from an actual bike shop that's been in business for 20+ years, we were told flat out that there "is no expected or known date for restock or reorder" and that all orders would be filled to those already waiting for this tire whenever some become available.

So that isn't exactly helping me get my ass back on the road and actually transporting myself daily. As far as mileage goes on the tire, yep I actually do ride and I tend to require some actual mileage on a tire before it decides to shred away because I didn't buy this bike, or any of my others in the past, to collect dust and never see daylight past that random trip to "show off" my cool collectible lol. That's how I ended up needing new shoes from the nicely dry-rotted ones that kept someone's garage floor covered instead of being ridden.

If you can help out then by all means let's try to do that rather than pointing out apparent help but giving no direction on where to go to find it. I've NEVER disagreed with your assessment on an OEM tire and believe it or not I'm not of some set mind where I need to do things one way, my way or gtfo. I do not see that as constructive or progressive in anything so why start now...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm currently on about 30+ minutes of searching, again, for this unicorn of a tire and the closest thing to it in this size, actually available, not back-ordered, is apparently a Shinko that... Is supposed to be a rear tire and not a fantastic load rating as it is a sport tire. Dunlop is showing so far as "eat shit and die" to me, but maybe you have a lead...or anyone does?

That's the point of the forum right... C'mon peoples.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts