Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She just doesn't ride too much anymore. Even I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. But there's just no need for me to have 4 bikes in the garage....and two of each kind (Rune and Valkyrie), if she's never going to ride much. She's had her knee replaced....numerous foot surgeries....and we aint' getting any younger!

So reluctantly, I'm going to seriously think about letting her Rune go....and probably my Valkyrie (her Valkyrie has MUCH fewer miles than mine, so I think I'll keep it).

Her Rune: Red 2004 with custom painted matching Red wheels with grey trim and Windvest shield (with C Bailey larger 19 inch tented replacement shield). Has quite a few options (rear spinner by Ultimate Machining, chrome engine side covers, custom pivot covers, Rivco pegs for driver pegs and matching pegs on Rivco Spider mounts for front, custom handle bar mount clock, Brakeaway cruise control). Exhaust is STOCK (she never drilled hers, like I did mine). Front tire is badly worn and needs replaced. Back tire is good. Recently serviced. New battery last year. Yearly serviced by local Honda shop for life of the bike (we are the original owners ever since it was bought Feb 2004). Runs PERFECT. 34,699 miles. Stock seat (we're keeping her custom Corbin so she can swap out with my Rune custom seat and still ride my Rune if she wants). I have all the original parts if wanted (stock pegs, stock pivot covers, etc.).

I haven't even set a price on this. We just decided today we're going to start trying to sell it. Thought I'd mention it on here first in case someone who knows us wants it. And NO, I'm not looking to make a killing on it. I already looked at trade in value on Blue book and saw that was around $12,350 in my area. So obviously, I'd like to get more than that. If I have to I know the Honda dealer here QUITE WELL (used to be one of their top 3 customers in items bought....many bikes, waverunners, 4 wheelers, UTVs, etc.). I know I can get the trade in value or a bit more from them.

I'll eventually set a price of course. I just thought if someone that knows me wants to reach out and talk about it, I'd be keen to letting the bike go for a bit less to someone on here than perhaps someone I didn't know. It's sad we're even thinking about doing it....but like I said....it's just hard to justify it sitting there in the garage. I ride it once a month just to keep it running good. Start it about every other week. But it's not like the old days of riding WEEKLY. We've had it 17 years now.....we've more than got our entertainment out of it.

Besides, I can put the money towards a new Ham Radio tower, antennas, rotator, coax, etc, etc....that I want for retirement. And that's gonna' run me about 20k................so...........it's like a tradeoff..........

Like I said, I'm also selling my Valk (1997), but that's going to be unique in that it will need to be someone who probably wants to work on it and fix whatever that noise (still think it's a guide for the oil pump chain) is that you can hear until it gets warmed up. I've been riding it for over two years like that without issue, but honestly, I wouldn't ride it long distance anywhere with that noise/issue. I might even wind up (even more sadly) selling that bike for parts. Valk parts are very hard to come by.....so many folks are buying old Valks as a second bike more so to have spare parts than for actually riding. That old red and white Tourer....other than that noise/issue (which admittedly could cost up to a couple grand to fix if you have to tear down the motor....which I feel certain one would have to do).....is in MINT shape. It has soooooooooooooo much chrome and custom stuff on it, it would take several pages to list it all. It has ALMOST every piece of chrome or custom parts....ever made for a Valk. It even has lots of "one off" stuff. For instance, it has a custom piece that goes around the back of the solo seat....made of chrome....make by Lamonster (old board Admin on here and several other boards and owner of Lamonster Inc)....that is one of TWO ever made. It has custom covers on the oil filter cover, valve covers and carb tops (6 of them, of course)....made by a Custom place in Canada that says "F6" on it. That company made a few prototypes....gave them to me to show off on the bike, then NEVER marketed them to the public for whatever reason. I could go on and on. That bike has a lot of rare stuff on it....ALL....in PERFECT shape. But if I'm going to only keep one Valk, I'll keep Sherry's ....because it has MUCH fewer miles (about 31k, just like her Rune)....and it's engine is in PERFECT shape. My Valk has almost 128,000 miles on it ....and has that rattle I spoke of. I'm not mechanical enough to tear it down myself, and a shop wants over 1000 bucks just to break down the motor, much less fix whatever the rattle is. That's why I'll likely let it go too. I've had it since July 1997. 24 years. I definitely got my money out of it too!

Anyway, contact me if you want to talk about buying either of these bikes. I'll be somewhat flexible even on the Rune sell, but REAL flexible on Valkyrie sell due to what I explained above. And I'm not hurting for money or anything like that. But I'm also not exactly thrilled about selling either, so if no one offers anything somewhat reasonable, I'd probably just keep em' another year or two.....though honestly, they'd likely not be ridden anymore than they have been the last year or two! That's pretty sad.....but it's just part of getting older....health stuff.....and busy, busy of course. I'm still working unlike some on here!

·
Registered
990 Posts
She just doesn't ride too much anymore. Even I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. But there's just no need for me to have 4 bikes in the garage....and two of each kind (Rune and Valkyrie), if she's never going to ride much. She's had her knee replaced....numerous foot surgeries....and we aint' getting any younger!

So reluctantly, I'm going to seriously think about letting her Rune go....and probably my Valkyrie (her Valkyrie has MUCH fewer miles than mine, so I think I'll keep it).

Her Rune: Red 2004 with custom painted matching Red wheels with grey trim and Windvest shield (with C Bailey larger 19 inch tented replacement shield). Has quite a few options (rear spinner by Ultimate Machining, chrome engine side covers, custom pivot covers, Rivco pegs for driver pegs and matching pegs on Rivco Spider mounts for front, custom handle bar mount clock, Brakeaway cruise control). Exhaust is STOCK (she never drilled hers, like I did mine). Front tire is badly worn and needs replaced. Back tire is good. Recently serviced. New battery last year. Yearly serviced by local Honda shop for life of the bike (we are the original owners ever since it was bought Feb 2004). Runs PERFECT. 34,699 miles. Stock seat (we're keeping her custom Corbin so she can swap out with my Rune custom seat and still ride my Rune if she wants). I have all the original parts if wanted (stock pegs, stock pivot covers, etc.).

I haven't even set a price on this. We just decided today we're going to start trying to sell it. Thought I'd mention it on here first in case someone who knows us wants it. And NO, I'm not looking to make a killing on it. I already looked at trade in value on Blue book and saw that was around $12,350 in my area. So obviously, I'd like to get more than that. If I have to I know the Honda dealer here QUITE WELL (used to be one of their top 3 customers in items bought....many bikes, waverunners, 4 wheelers, UTVs, etc.). I know I can get the trade in value or a bit more from them.

I'll eventually set a price of course. I just thought if someone that knows me wants to reach out and talk about it, I'd be keen to letting the bike go for a bit less to someone on here than perhaps someone I didn't know. It's sad we're even thinking about doing it....but like I said....it's just hard to justify it sitting there in the garage. I ride it once a month just to keep it running good. Start it about every other week. But it's not like the old days of riding WEEKLY. We've had it 17 years now.....we've more than got our entertainment out of it.

Besides, I can put the money towards a new Ham Radio tower, antennas, rotator, coax, etc, etc....that I want for retirement. And that's gonna' run me about 20k................so...........it's like a tradeoff..........

Like I said, I'm also selling my Valk (1997), but that's going to be unique in that it will need to be someone who probably wants to work on it and fix whatever that noise (still think it's a guide for the oil pump chain) is that you can hear until it gets warmed up. I've been riding it for over two years like that without issue, but honestly, I wouldn't ride it long distance anywhere with that noise/issue. I might even wind up (even more sadly) selling that bike for parts. Valk parts are very hard to come by.....so many folks are buying old Valks as a second bike more so to have spare parts than for actually riding. That old red and white Tourer....other than that noise/issue (which admittedly could cost up to a couple grand to fix if you have to tear down the motor....which I feel certain one would have to do).....is in MINT shape. It has soooooooooooooo much chrome and custom stuff on it, it would take several pages to list it all. It has ALMOST every piece of chrome or custom parts....ever made for a Valk. It even has lots of "one off" stuff. For instance, it has a custom piece that goes around the back of the solo seat....made of chrome....make by Lamonster (old board Admin on here and several other boards and owner of Lamonster Inc)....that is one of TWO ever made. It has custom covers on the oil filter cover, valve covers and carb tops (6 of them, of course)....made by a Custom place in Canada that says "F6" on it. That company made a few prototypes....gave them to me to show off on the bike, then NEVER marketed them to the public for whatever reason. I could go on and on. That bike has a lot of rare stuff on it....ALL....in PERFECT shape. But if I'm going to only keep one Valk, I'll keep Sherry's ....because it has MUCH fewer miles (about 31k, just like her Rune)....and it's engine is in PERFECT shape. My Valk has almost 128,000 miles on it ....and has that rattle I spoke of. I'm not mechanical enough to tear it down myself, and a shop wants over 1000 bucks just to break down the motor, much less fix whatever the rattle is. That's why I'll likely let it go too. I've had it since July 1997. 24 years. I definitely got my money out of it too!

Anyway, contact me if you want to talk about buying either of these bikes. I'll be somewhat flexible even on the Rune sell, but REAL flexible on Valkyrie sell due to what I explained above. And I'm not hurting for money or anything like that. But I'm also not exactly thrilled about selling either, so if no one offers anything somewhat reasonable, I'd probably just keep em' another year or two.....though honestly, they'd likely not be ridden anymore than they have been the last year or two! That's pretty sad.....but it's just part of getting older....health stuff.....and busy, busy of course. I'm still working unlike some on here!
omg_sign.gif
Times are certainly changing.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Valk-atopia. May 5th through May 9th at Eureka Springs, AR. I'm not sure who is behind heading up this event. I think it was a couple of guys from Texas maybe. I think some of the Kansas Valk riders are planning to attend. I know Joe Studabaker is going down because he hit me up a couple month's ago at David Fette's funeral up in Osawatomie, KS.

I plan to go down and ride with them on that Saturday, and probably be riding my Rune. Bring one or all three of those Hondas and give them some good exercise Tim. At the same time, you can get some exposure for the one(s) you wish to sell.

·
Administrator
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sherry's Rune is sold. I must say, someone on here COULD have gotten it for a STEAL. But, it's gone now. To say I was underwhelmed by what I had to fight, beg and suffer the humiliation of the whole experience to get for it...............would be an understatement. WOW in Georgia, known for buying used bikes (and reselling) was just as "underwhelming" on their offer. Made no difference how good a shape it was in. Hey, I knew selling to a "dealer" (I know some folks call them "Stealers") was going to mean NOT a good deal. I WOULD have been happy with just "trade in" value. But NO, I didn't get that either. When Sam told me what he got from his beautiful custom painted Rune from WOW, I knew to temper my expectations. Was it a 5 dollar figure? YES, but JUST BARELY. It was LESS than Kelly Blue book value for tradein. They used JD Power for their book value. And since I wasn't buying anything, again.....it was BELOW trade in. I would have gladly sold it to someone on here for as low as 12k. But no one even "sniffed" this post, so I figured no interest on here. And before anyone says it, yes, I did NOT post on the trade/for sale area. I figured almost everyone hits the General board at some point.....and if just one person saw it and contacted me, I would have sold it for a dollar more than the two identical offers I got from dealers. And that would have been MUCH less than 12k! It was in PERFECT shape.....just needed new tires (even had a pretty new battery and ran like a top). And no, no way in heck I wanted to put it up for sale to the General public....and either having to meet folks somewhere ....or let them "case my house" for what they might want to steal later (sadly, that's what SOME folks do on for sale items). Even meeting them somewhere would mean the dreaded "but I must ride it". That wasn't happening either. Too many horror stories about that (crashed, stolen, etc.). So I just opted to post about here....hearing nothing, moved on to take "my beating" from the dealer.

Oh well, not crying over spilled milk. It's gone now and money already spent on my next big project (foldover giant ham radio tower and multiple giant antennas, rotator, low loss cable, etc.....over $20,000 spent on that so far). Just surprised how little interest and how low it sold for. So much for "these things will be a collector item and INCREASE in price some day". That day aint here yet, at least not for me (and no Handle Sam). WOW still has Sam's beautiful Rune sitting on the floor, and they tell me, NO takers....not even a sniff.

Interesting...............

·
Registered
990 Posts
We already have two Runes sitting in our shop, and so, alas, I wasn't going to be in the market for another. On a related NOTE, Shala's 2009, already pimped out Yamaha Vmax came from WOW motorcycles. She found it listed on FleaBay and after sending great forum member Nate over to check it out, in person, for us.....we made the 730 mile trek each way to pick it up one weekend back in 2011 or 2012. Shala don't ride either one of them as much as she used to either, but we ain't quite ready to give either one of them up yet. Now she's putttering around on a different sort of toy - one with four wheels.
shala 001.jpg
20200802_195753.jpg
20200815_120926.jpg

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sad to hear, Tim. I seriously thought about it for a few minutes, especially knowing the care you took of your bikes. My son-in-law was always talking about finding a Rune, but they recently bought a house (still in NJ) and he even had to sell his bike for the down payment (after we contributed the max allowed by the mortgage company) ... so I knew I couldn't even mention it to him. And the last few years took a big bite out of my savings ... so ...
I do understand about the lack of riding. Heck, I even pulled the bike lift off the back of motorhome, since I rode the bike once in 15 months of carrying the Wing. Everytime I plan a decent ride because the wife has planned a camping trip with her girlfriends, something comes up to kick that plan .

·
Registered
79 Posts
We all want all the money we can get out of a machine when we sell them, however the price really isn't a bad one. The bike sure isn't a collector one, has to many miles and it's been altered from the way it came from the factory. Collectors will find very low mile Runes and ones with the wheels the way it came from the factor for it's most value as a collector Rune. Yours as you noted needs tires, those aren't cheap and labor isn't as well. Plus not buying, the deal isn't a bad one (IMO).

While selling to a dealer cost money out of your pocket, just how much is it worth not having to deal with the people, plus not having to spend the time? I get so tried of folks wanting to buy what you have to sell, BUT, first they need to check with the wife or whoever, or get a loan, or sell this, that, or the other thing first. I find in most cases the loss of some $$$ is a better option than dealing with the BS.

Agree with you 100% on selling it out right yourself and having folks case the place and the test ride BS! That will probably be the reason I just keep mine unless someone I know asks if it's for sale and has the money.

Selling to a dealer and more so if it was a Honda dealer has it drawbacks when it comes to the Rune. All the great sh!! that made the Rune stand out and ahead of it's time when it first hit the street is now turning around and becoming a negative to owning one. Limited production years/numbers, MEC (RUNE) parts are costly, and in more and more cases are becoming not available. The H.I.S.S. which was a great feature for the RUNE (or not) is a problem for owners if it fails and they don't know how to work around it because the immobilizer can't be had (To bad a simple ignition system wasn't used with an option for a security system if one wanted it), body parts are unreal for cost.

It's sad to say, you probably would have gotten a better deal if someone stole it and the insurance paid out.:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,269 Posts
I’m at Mecum, Vegas now and this one just sold for $50K!!! All original and only 200 miles.

-Ollie

Reactions: SoCalSteve

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When I see someone saying "thinking about selling" I never bother to throw an offer....as most of the time they are just feeling out the market, and not really serious.....
If you had posted in the for sale section with photos I imagine you would have had at least a few bites.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m at Mecum, Vegas now and this one just sold for $50K!!! All original and only 200 miles.

-Ollie
If a Rune that is all original with low miles is worth that much? How long before someone with a Rune that is in great shape (new condition) and all original but has some miles on it, spends the money, buys and swaps the part(s) needed to make the bike a zero or low mile one.

·
Administrator
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep....good points by Dan. I've got no second thoughts or sour grapes. Was a bit surprised and disappointed at first....but glad I didn't have to deal with any BS trying to sell it with an outside person. Yea, the dealer said the chrome wheel option would have added 2500 on the sale. I've already spent the 10k on my next project (always some kind of project on the ranch....building shooting ranges....building ponds....etc.). The next "big project" is my 75 foot tilt over tower with monster 7 band antenna on the top. The foldover option is powered by a heavy duty motor and a 10 foot threaded rod. It will tilt the tower over to within 4 feet of the ground in 10 minutes. There, I can work on my giant antennas while standing flat footed on the ground with a beer. No climbing that tower and working for hours up top. If you've never done that, you can't appreciate how great this is going to be for me.

Now, just need to cough up another 10k in the next few months to complete the project. NO, I'm not selling my Rune. In fact, the whole selling adventure made me inspired to take all three remaining bikes out of the garage and spend two days detailing them. Those three also still look great. I MUST keep one Rune. I'm thinking.....perhaps....until I can't ride anymore? And I must keep at least one Valk....likewise, until I can no longer ride. I rode the detailed 97 Valk (first bike I bought from this dealer 24 years ago) down to the dealer Wednesday. They were impressed how good it still looks....especially for 128,000 miles (maybe more, speedo cable broke on a trip and I probably put at least 1000 miles or more on that trip before getting back home to fix it).

hey, not only did I get some money to spend on my next project, but now....I can actually move around the garage a little easier!;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a shame I missed this. I come looking for a Rune and I barely missed it. There are a lot of Runes on the market right now. I found 15 for sale just this week and that was before finding these forums.

·
Administrator
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Montgomery Honda Powersports, Montgomery Alabama. I'd even be curious to know what they plan to ask for it....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I come looking for a Rune. There are a lot of Runes on the market right now. I found 15 for sale just this week and that was before finding these forums.
If you already found 15 and haven't purchase yet? Is there a specific Rune you're looking for (like color, bars, wheels, stock, etc) or a price point or bike's location?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd even be curious to know what they plan to ask for it....
Can't you check their online site to see? Maybe they gave you the price they did become they already had a buyer lined up and had a price to work within? When I use to trade every 10-12 months on vehicles the dealer always had a buyer or buyers lined up to purchased my trade in, they never hit the sales lot.

On a different note, curious, does that 75ft tower require any safety features to install? permits, warning light?

·
Administrator
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked their website, it's not listed. They did mention they might have an interested buyer, so it may never get listed?

No permits out here in the middle of nowhere....never need permits to build anything on the Ranch (thank God!). No lights......that doesn't start until you cross some threshold that is up around 150 feet or so. I'm going to be working on it a little at a time through the summer. Looking forward to the finished product sometime in late summer/early Fall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Montgomery Honda Powersports, Montgomery, Alabama. I'd even be curious to know what they plan to ask for it...
I'll give them a call Tuesday.
If you already found 15 and haven't purchased yet? Is there a specific Rune you're looking for (like color, bars, wheels, stock, etc.) or a price point or bike's location?
My most prominent factor in waiting is my daughter. She was born with cancer last July and is finishing her 42 weekly chemo treatments at the end of the month. Then I have a month before her surgery, and I'll not want to leave again. I could buy now, June would be better, or I could wait until August/September.

I'm trying to determine what color I want, all of them are sexy, so I probably won't turn my nose up based on color.
If I buy a Rune, it's going to be a bike I keep for a long time, and it's probably not going to be a garage ornament. That being said, I have a hard time paying 22k for a bike that has 2k miles when I'm 1) going to put that many miles driving it home and 2)will probably put an easy 5k miles on it every year, closer to 10k if the weather stays dry.
I'm not against drilled pipes if it's done smartly, but I'm less inclined to buy aftermarket exhaust, especially if it changes the look drastically. I like the passenger peg option, but I'll rarely ride with a passenger, but the choice would be excellent.

My next biggest hold-up is just pure research. There are no Runes within 500 miles, so I will have to put down a deposit, fly out, and hopefully drive home. I'm not too fond of the idea of flying back home empty-handed, nor do I want to string along a courteous seller. I've never sat on a Rune, so I do not know how they feel. I sat on a Valk yesterday. The seat was almost comfortable, but the after-market floorboards were massive and made putting a boot on the asphalt awkward. From the look of the Rune, I think I'll have neither of these problems. My father had a HD Heritage Softail, and the weight appears to be comparable to the Rune. Riding that bike was nice, but I would prefer not to sit that high. Again, I think the Rune solves this problem as well. I live in the mountains, so my biggest question is, how does this bike feel at 35/40 mph on a curvy road? With cruisers, guys scrape their pegs all the time, just making a right-hand turn. Is this a problem in the Rune? The pegs look a little higher to me and thus also not a problem. I hear there are two types of Rune handlebars. One makes the rider reach farther forward. How do I know which a Rune has? What are the most significant issues on a Rune?

These are the things I've been trying to figure out before I settle on a bike and buy.

I found one that isn't working at a dealer and wonder if I can negotiate a great price, do some parking lot maintenance, and call it good. It is at a Honda dealer, though, so that concerns me. I prefer to buy from a respected member here.

There is one Rune I'm heavily considering. It's closer to my home than I want; I fancy the idea of being on the road for at least one night as my bike and I get to know each other. If I don't find a better deal in the coming weeks, I'll probably pull the trigger on that bike unless my research points me in a different direction.

If anyone would like to PM/email me, please feel free. I'm open to sales, advice, word of encouragement & discouragement, etc.
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
is your handle a reference to your location? as in Southern Calif, IF so, the mileage on a bike you purchase or if it is or not a Calif Rune is an item to look at

Reactions: Afghanpilot

·
Registered
18 Posts
is your handle a reference to your location? as in Southern Calif, IF so, the mileage on a bike you purchase or if it is or not a Calif Rune is an item to look at
I was born & raised in San Diego. I am in Santa Cruz now, but I would take a Rune from almost anywhere in North America. I'm not sure I fully understand the second half of your post.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts