Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I saw an '05 Rune that was manufactured 11/04 on a dealer's showroom floor. I got that information from the data plate. It has chrome wheels and setback bars. The only difference between the 05 and o4 model that I could see was on the rear fender where instead of a HONDA decal logo there was a metal HONDA logo. The price was a little more than the 04 prices.

I do not own a Rune yet but I'm thinking of getting this one. I've got a 03 Valkyrie and love it but the Rune is just so futureistic. The only problem is the high price of these motorcycles. What do you think. Will these Runes hold their value?

Undaunted Traveler

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you shop around you can get a brand new Rune for under $20,000, add around $2000 for the chrome package, (get the wheels chromed yourself for less). An absolute bargain for a bike of this quality
I have noticed the price of second hand Valks starting to go up now you can't get any more, and the Rune is a limited production bike. But you're always going to take a significant hit when you're selling-on a bike you bought from new, esp in the early years. Just enjoy the bike and accept that the drop in dollar value has been payed back to you in pleasure of ownership (priceless)
IMHO this bike is just so damn good you won't be worried about resale, you'll be wondering how you could ever part with it.
Take it from a long term Valk rider; if you liked or even loved your Valk you'll LOOOVVVVE the RUNE[/b]

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Right on HS. I'm betting the VIN tag did NOT say 05. It said 04. Their web site STILL says all you can get is an 04. It STILL says the price is EXACTLY the same (so to the gentleman who posted this thread, IF your dealer is REALLY asking more than what is listed on the Honda Rune official web site....DO NOT pay it....as it is merely a dealer trying to 'gouge' someone!).

This is an 04....with instead of the decal on the fender...it has the little riased chrome letters like have always been on the side chrome cover. Saw one of these at the Atlanta Cycle show in January and posted here....remember???

Oh yea, that one was on 04 too. If the dealer is calling it an 05...he's just trying to justify jacking up the price. AGAIN, i firmly say, there are no true 05s....just 04s. PERIOD. and the price....from Honda...is EXACLTY the same as it was last year...and the year before. So don't be fooled.

And don't believe me...go to the OFFICIAL Honda Rune web site and see for yourself. Oh, and look at that VIN tag...and see the 04 designation :wink:

Aint that right, HS????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'05 VIN Tag (Data Plate)

Thanks for your advice and concern about my possibly being fooled on the '05 Rune. But to answer your questions about the VIN tag which I called a data plate in my original post, I saw it with my own eyes. In fact, I went back to the dealer again today to recheck what I say. The VIN tag said it was a 2005 model, and the date of manufacture as shown in the upper right corner of the VIN tag showed 11/04 which would be within the correct time period to be called a 2005 model. I havn't really talked price with the dealer other than to inquire as to the retail price which as I said was a little higher than a similar '04 Rune with chrome wheels; however, I do expect that he will cut me somewhat of a deal since I have purchased two other motorcycles from him before and I consider him to be a personal friend too. My question to anyone reading this is: do you think there is really something wrong here or should I just buy this quicky before my wife knows what happened to our money?

Regards,
Undaunted Traveler

·
Registered
236 Posts
U/T,

I you want to be sure check out the VIN. The 10th character of the 17 digit VIN Number is the year code. So far all the bikes in the VIN List have a 4 in the 10th spot, just before the letter A.

A complete breakdown of the 17 digit VIN is posted on the VIN List board.

If it is a 5 , IMHO the bike is a 2005, and it will be the first one verified on this board.

Should you buy the bike .... hell yes ....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Vin tag

Undaunted Traveler,

I suggest you to take the bike´s exactly vin # - all the digits and characters according to the Vin tag - with you home from the dealer on paper and bring it up on this Board, do some analysis and comparisons to Vin records on this Board maintained by MARUNE and let's see if what we get out of it is odd or straight ... :idea: :?:

- You're located in Lake Bluff , aren't you - be carefull and scrutinizing :!: :lol:

OOPS - Dave/MARUNE posted actually the same suggestion 6 mins before me...

·
Registered
42 Posts
05 Rune

I believe that reports of 05 VINs are correct. In my post on March 8, I reported my conversation with the Honda reps at Bike Week this year. There are, according to the reps, 05's available, but except for the metal badge and the fact the only chrome wheels are available, there are no changes from 04. As anticipated, they also reported no plans to produce even a single accessory.

john

G

·
Yes, There are 05s out in dealer showrooms. I looked at one last saturday
with the the manufacture date of 11/04 vin tag 05 Im in Michigan.
There will be a limited run of 05s Kent

·
Registered
347 Posts
RUne price

Hi
Just go one, 2 weeks ago, spec 47, new, Omiles, never registerd, built 04, for $19 990( no taxes included) without any bargaining.
I looked around for about 6 weeks on Ebay and cyclotrader, the best price I ever seen from a dealer, on Ebay, was $18000 for a new one. $ 20 000 is a fair target price at many US location, sometine you even can get free delivery !

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
if the VIN has a "5" in it....then i will concede it's an 05. and like all have said or seen...the only difference is the little raised letters on the fender. so it isn't worth MORE money. Though the web site still only lists 04 as available...for the SAME price. so i'm still suspicious.

after all...this 'report' comes from Lake BLUFF....and....it is APril 1st....as in, April Fools day :wink:

Whatever the bike is, it isn't worth a single dime more. you can get one all day for about 20k...so don't spend a penny over 20k. but DO get one.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
buying a rune

Hi,
I forgot to mention, I never sat on a RUne, or even saw one for real before I decided to buy one...
Just go and buy one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the VIN Number. It's an '05 for sure.

To my new undaunted friends and Rune enthusiasts:

Well, as you all said, and thanks for the advice, I have now checked the VIN on the new Rune that I saw. It is: 1HFSC53J85A100601. From what has been said, it looks like this is really an '05. Now I just have to make a trade which means parting with machines that I love and then start the process of preparing myself to make love to a new machine; and finally, stealing the cash from my slush fund or maybe my kids piggie bank. These Runes are worth every cent when you consider all that has gone into them and everything I have read from you guys on this site, but they are still expensive, just like a new woman would be. Fortunately I've only had one wife and and just a few too many toys. I'm weak now and may just do it but I can not afford it. Someone please help me do the right thing! Maybe I'll get stronger tonight and not got the Honda shop tomorrow.

Does anyone think the '05 Rune will eventually have some special cash value other than because it is simply one year newer then an '04? I would wonder?

Undaunted Traveler

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Just get you a darn Rune. Period. Be it 04...05....2099 model...just get one. Do i think an 05 would be worth more than an 04? Nope. Not years down the road. I still say i wouldn't pay any more than about 20k. Much more than that....and later...you are going to probably feel you got suckered. Many of us paid much for our Runes to have some of the first ones. To some of us...like me...it was worth every penny to have THE FIRST one in Alabama. I paid about 24,500 back in Aug of 03. Then i bought my wife's in Feb of 04 for a little over 22k. Now guys are buying the SAME bike for about 20k.

So .....1) get you one....no matter what year....and 2) don't pay TOO much for it....as many bargains can be had out there. but stop waiting (i see you have been lurking on the board since 24 May of 04....so you've waited long enough :wink: )

But do get one...and join the family of folks grinning ear to ear. Oh, and then join us at the first ever Rune Rally in September in Erwin, TN.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts