Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a rehash, I didn't see recent threads, anyway,

High to redvalk and others from BBR, VRCC, vermin (I go by mark vlpa embs at vrcc) used dragon rider here as it was available and I use it on few other forums,

so my question(s), or my dilema,

I am enjoying the crap outa my new transalp and finding three bikes hard to fit in my half of the garage, so I am thinking of turning the valk IS and the custom harly into one bike. I know heresy to sell the valk.

(I am not likely to take many long trips anymore, say over 500 miles and over two days, where the IS really shines, my harley is lowered, custom and not good for more than 100 miles, but fun for that first 100 miles, kinda hard on the back though)

so I have always wanted a rune, stayed away at first because of the price and the apparant issues I saw discussed here (rice turd, black smoke, etc).

well the issues still concern me, but as redvalk posted, its really only two members who got new throttle bodies and its hard to tell from reading posts what the problems really are.

so the question, would you buy again, at the current prices, (about 18K or so is what I see on ebay and cycle trader for chrome package and low miles) I figure rearset bars cost $400 or so to have done so I am not that worried about finding rear set, though I would want it changed.

I ride about 12K miles a year, mostly around town, a few rides, the Oregon 250, 500, stonehinge some years, etc. I am liking the small flickable transalp (dual sport 600 twin for those unfamiliar with the bike)

So should I consider a rune? seems like the best prices are now, honda kinda supports them, and they look cool.

Also considering a harley bagger, say the cvo road king or ulta, or a plain old bagger.

Just looking for input from those with rune experience,

TIA

Mark

·
Administrator
6,931 Posts
get one dude! i have two....and i'd buy another one in a heartbeat. When the weekend comes....and i have a choice of bikes and want to ride for pleasure.....9 times out of 10 i take the Rune. I still have the Valk...and i ride it to work....because the base makes me have this big ugly sticker on the bike to get on the base. I aint putting that on my Rune.

So the Valk has become my 'ride to work bike'....and an occasional ride where i need bags. the Rune is my "i'm riding for pleasure and coolness bike". i ride it most of the weekend.

Others will give their inputs....but i'm sure you'll hear nothing but positive things here. I've never seen anyone get a Rune and then say "wow...i hate this thing....". A few have had to sell due to financial hardships, work, etc. But i've never seen any of the few who sold them say they sold it because they didn't like it.

Just yesterday...riding my black one in for 12k maintenance....i stopped in a parking lot and some guy in an SUV came up and started circling it....then started asking all the usual questions. Finally admitted he was a Harley man...but....harley didn't make anything that looked that damn cool. Period. HIS words..............and i get that ALL the time.

the bike is a JOY to ride. And sure gathers the crowds! oh, if you do NOT like hundreds of people gathering and asking questions and admiring your bike....if that sort of thing bothers you, then this bike is NOT for you. Cause you WILL draw a crowd almost anywhere you go. And people will want to talk to you about the bike. Remember, i have a cool Valk too. it gets some looks. But NOTHING like the Rune. If you want to maintain a low profile, stay away from this bike 8)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would absolutely in a heartbeat buy another. But, I may be one of the few to offload their Runes in the near future. The bike was always was a little pricey for me and with the new house, it's a little worse. (Buying a 2005 V-Strom doesn't help either... :D ) But that's what I get for buying it when it first came out.... (08/03)

Like many, I still owe a ton of money on the bike and I can't *quite* sell it for what I owe on it. It will be a sad, sad, sad, sad day when I have to sell it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buy now smile latter

I own and ride many of the big cruisers and they all stand out in there own way. If you want the most beautiful bike ever built buy a rune you can just stare at it for an hour to apreciate it. Its not the fastest cruiser, close but none smoother, not the most comfortable, thats open for debate, You want to be part of the croud buy a Harley. I can only say I am glad they only had 3 colors. This is a bike that stirs the soul. My 2cents
P.S. If you can buy a chrome wheel bike for 18K you better grab it they wont stay there long, but don't discount the painted wheel bike they only made them in 04.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
692 Posts
hi,
6.000 dollar less for the Rune are very attractive to get one more.
yesterday evening j was riding at least 80 miles x hour.
when a car stopped far from me for turning left. j pressed strongly the rear brake for arresting before this car and the rear tire mouved at the left. j rided approximately 60 yards in this situation without any inconvenient,
this bike is very secure , j rided 400 miles on mountains last sunday with Bmw kavasaki triumph. all friends where astonished to see an old young man as me using all that acceleration for overpassing cars and the sound of the pegs against the ground in the turns. :p
j am saving some money for getting a gw for long rides with my wife but if honda does not issue a new walk better than rune j will get one more "Black".
ciao from italy
hannibal

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info

testing

so, anyone want a nice custom harley?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dragon Rider said:
.......So should I consider a rune? seems like the best prices are now, honda kinda supports them, and they look cool.

Also considering a harley bagger, say the cvo road king or ulta, or a plain old bagger.

Just looking for input from those with rune experience,

TIA

Mark
Mark,

I have four of the bike you talked about ... so IMHO

Custom HD - mines a 91 FXSTC with a 200 tire, pipes, wheels, lowered, solo seat. --- it was more "fun" when I bar hopped.

Bagger - a 2001 Utra Classic - 95 Inch Twin Cam - Lots of chrome bling - Mp3 Player / Intercom / CB - Cruise ... etc. ---- great bike when I hit the road... too heavy around the town.

Rune - a 2004 Black Cherry / Chrome Wheels / Rear Bars -- smooth power, great one of a kind looks, fit and finish second to none. -- a fun around town bike 200 / 300 mile days......

CVO Road King - a 2003 SEI2 103 Inch - Profiled front, pipes / air cleaner / map, de-crash bar'ed, a little extra chrome, and a fairing windshield off a 78 FL -- my favorite all around bike. I like the "bags" and the fact that it can be solo / two up within 10 min. .... love the cruise.... power about the same as a Rune... the bad news is that HD is now selling a bagger version CVO so you would have to go to the used maket to find a Road King .... about 22 - 24K

Depending where you are located maybe you could stop by for a ride compairison..... PM me if interested ....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rice Turd ! If anyone on this board referred to the most radical and coolest production cruiser built to date as a rice turd they need to be
B%#$H slapped ! Sell the hog, keep the Valk and buy the true Dragon !

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
by 'rice turd' I ment to refer to that ebay guy complaing about his blue rune, I believe that one of the members here got a great deal on the bike. (yes I have been lurking for years). I was merely concerned about the issues he raised regarding why he was disillusioned with the bike and was therefore selling it. (with that great white writing on it, sure helped the price though)

marune, thanks for the info, love the 03 cvo road king.
recognize the paint??

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rune Wins

The Rune is the most gawked at bike you will ever ride for more than 100 miles... It is as fun to park and watch it draw them in as it is to ride :shock: well maybe not quite. When you ride the Rune you will actually be stopped on the highway by a guy with his young son in the truck...just had to see it. When you go to a bike rally...park it.... it is THE bike everyone will be looking at...They will walk by 20 Vrods without taking their stare off the Rune... It is a character bike and will have that character and sense of awe 30 years from now... Buy it again..... no way...I'll never give this up so I won't need to buy it again...

·
Registered
534 Posts
A bit off topic ...

Brad,

- Awesome paint job You have on Your Rune :!: 8)

- Those letters (runes) You have on the side of the bike - what do they say ?

- Actually we have on this Board a member with the handle "Rice_turd" - with no posts - don't wonder why ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.