Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to go to another biker funeral this afternoon, went to one two weeks ago also. Two guys I knew of course, same story in both deaths.
Early morning 1-3 a.m., single vehicle accidents, blood alcohol .05 or greater. Recent AMA stats, 46% of US motorcyclist fatalities in 2004 had BA of.05 or higher.
From the early days when the Booze Fighters were drinkin and ridin it has been thought to be exceptable to ride around with your friends from bar to bar throwin down the booze, some bikes today are still labled as
"Bar Hoppers".
Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, when you add alcohol to the equation you just doubled that danger at a minimum. I do my drinkin when I'm done ridin for the day. I refuse to become a alcohol related statistic.
I have to wonder if the funerals for these guys I knew could have been delayed for awhile had they not been drinkin. I'll end my soap box speech here, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm deeply sorry you've lost two friends. It's so sad when people can't say I've hade to much to drink tonight, take me home!.
Jack

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
I agree ENTIRELY with you HS. Those who know me, know when my bike is parked....AND I AM NOT GOING TO BE RIDING....i will throw down alcohol with the best of them . PERIOD. Party with me at InZane....and you'll see for your self.

But....when i am riding the bike, there is no alcohol drinking. Even when i am in a vehicle, i make sure i have a designated driver...then i party down. If no designated driver, i might have a drink.....at most two.

But i reserve me real drinking for when i have that driver...or i'm at home. NEVER.....EVER....when on my bike.

Sorry you had to go to those funerals HS. But thanks for sharing that important reminder with us........

·
Registered
692 Posts
from Hannibal, j like wine but j say j do not drink. that means according Usa standard j am an alcolist.
so a few words from an alcolist.

riding any bike or any car or any truck do not drink wine beer or any other alcoll at least in the last 8 hours. even a single glass.

please do what j say and not what j do.

more ride after a good sleeping. more do not ride after lunch or dinner (you are sleeping)

more. in cold weather if you should act suddenly your body is not mooving as you may suppose.

90% of german truckers having a crash in italy are used to german beer but not to italian vine. since a few years in italy we have alcool test but controls are rare. anyway italian drivers are more responsible towards alcool than in the past.

as told to one board friend j use to fire a chandle in a church on the top of a mountain. j fire the chandle and j ask for all rune riders not to have accidents but much more j ask that rune riders pay the maximum attention during rides. may be this chandle does'nt work but nobody may tell it is a bad act.

ciao from hannibal now a cold tee drinker

·
Registered
236 Posts
HS,

Sorry to hear about your friends.

I know that all my "freebies" were used up years ago. Took a while to learn that the three "B's" come with a high price .....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry to hear of lost friends....

Sadly..I think we've all lost friends to alcohol related incidents...whether bikes, fights or whatever..... We all know how important our ability to react is for those situations that come on us in an instant.....the adrenelin pumping incidents where a split second determines our fate. I do want all the edge I can get in those situations. Happy to say I gave up trying to beat the odds with booze...have had my allottment of alcohol and chances for one lifetime... I am a permanent Designated Driver...have been for about 25 years now.... I'm not a holy roller but ....But for the grace of God... I am one of those statistics.... Glad so many on this board are responsible... and party at the appropriate times....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts