Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My dealer gets it right every time

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished putting BOTH wheels back on my Rune, replacing the rear and front tires.

I think that what is happening when you get your bike back from the shop and your Rune is heading for the weeds is this:
After you push the axle through the front wheel you must line the end of the axle with the outer edge of the fork. There is about a 3/4" gap of exposed axle on the left side.

Now, if the tech tightens the pinch nut on the left side, and then tightens the axle bolt on the right side, you are going to BEND THE FORK inwards, ever so slightly.

What you are supposed to do is put a HEX wrench in the axle on the left side while you torque the 22m nut on the right side. THEN you tighten the pinch bolts on both sides. My bike ran perfectly straight yesterday.

Oh, another benefit of removing your own wheels, esp the front: you get a chance to put a good shine and wax on the difficult to reach front suspension parts that are normally blocked by the tire.

Ken (29,900 miles)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is everyone sure they're trying this test with a throttle lock? The torque applied to the back tire, and gyroscopic effect will cause the bike to pull to one side if you let go of both grips. There's a lot of torque coming out of these engines and a lot of backlash in the drive when you de-accelerate. My Rune will pull to the side in that scenario, but is true as an arrow when the cruise is engaged.

Give it a try.

Vince

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I check with my throttle lock engaged. The biggest telltale will be which side of your front tire wears the most over time.
Ken (31,000 miles)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts