Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all have seen I started having problems with my RUNE while down in Fla.
I thought I had it licked with just a fuse change (fan motor fuse)
I rode her on the Tail of the Dragon on the way back to NJ and had no problems there

The Tree of Shame at the NC end of Tail of the Dragon

I started having trouble with the bike when I got her back to NJ, so I changed the plugs (they where very black and wet when I pulled them out) and changed the gas.
I took my Rune out for a ride today before meeting up with Alberto tomorrow and she fouled out my spark plugs again. It ran fine for a while and then started acting up again. I'll be working on finding the problem this evening. I still think it has something to do with the Cooling
I've tested the Fans and ECT circuit and they both cause the fans to come on. I'll try to test the ECT tonight

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey John I had problems with the cooling fan fuse blowing on my VTX when I first bought it.
I found the outer edge of the cooling fan was just barely rubbing on the positive cable to the starter.
it caused some resistance and would blow the fuse without warning.
Try moving the fans on your rune using the eraser end of a pencil and see if they both rotate freely.
hope you find the problem soon.

Todd

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
TBS !!! I Betcha!

Esteemed Skibum,
Your problem sure sounds like TBS!!!! But, your situation is so bad, that you dont get to burn the gas and make the smoke.

Good luck! And get that new throttle body pronto!

Ken (27,000 miles)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Throttle body

I agree with Ken sounds like a potential TBS issue...altho the way my BBS came on I assume my position sensor was slamming gas to the cylinders by the bucket fulls.... Maybe yours is only partially mucked up... I don't understand how having a cooling fan acting up could possible cause flooding in the cylinders... But hey, there are a lot of things I don't know... Hope it is something simple...but gas and soot in the cylinders sounds ominous to me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Spark Plugs???

Hannibal states that if the plugs get wet, they crack..Maybe it is as simple as a sparkplug issue.. But I'm sure you have already eliminated that.

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich Oas,
My RUNE is running fine now. I can only surmise that the fuel was the problem. I could not get it all out before refilling the tank so that could have done it.
I removed the power connection to the TPS and blew it out with an air hose, tapped the TPS a few times just for luck before reconnecting the plug.
The fan has also decided to start running again, I had gone through and tested all of the switches and connections for temperature and fan control. Maybe one of then was loose until I checked it.
I really have no clue what was causing my problems I can only hope they don't come back.
I have a feeling that my RUNE is just acting up because she hasn't received any new BLING BLING from Tom lately.
I just hope she's happy with the new lift adaptor from Jeff and son Matt in the great state of Pennsylvania. She had her rims cleaned and rubbed like never before last night. It was so so so nice sitting on my kiddy chair and having the wheel right in front of me. Don't tell anyone but I even started up my bike and dropped it into gear while up on the lift, just so I could see how the LEDs look on the rear chrome rim. I suppose I'll get a disclaimer from Jeff now for "misuse of product".

·
Registered
665 Posts
Great News

Glad to hear that fuel fixed the problem...I have my new Throttle Bodies in and with about 700 miles on them I am seeing a bit of extra soot... instead of the film as in the past..Iam seeing splatters of black.... Also getting a bit of gurgling when I let off my throttle... Seems I heard that after a month or so when it was new.... Hope I am not heading down another BBS thing.... I am a bit gun shy now that I have experienced it once...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My Rune sounds like it is not gurgling, as your word, but, GARGLING, yes, gargling cannonballs on the downshifting going slow stuff.

ken (27,890 miles)

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich - I know that uneasy :eek:4: feeling; I'm very attuned to any changes in engine tone now. I relax when the fan kicks on :clap2: . I was getting the black particles and black smoke when she was acting up. I also noticed an extreme amount of condensation during warm-up before I drained out the bad tank of gas. I always get some condensation but it was dripping off the pipes and drive cover. I try to use SHELL-98 (per KC) and the bad tank was from a SHELL, but it was a rather shady looking station. I'm now back to the film look. I ran her at 90+mph. riding 2 up and she was feeling soooo sweet :pepper1: . Running at 90+ for any length of time is no small feat here in NJ, so many people and :cop2: and you're never further than 40 miles from a border. I put on about 500 miles this weekend and no problems.
I hope your BBS doesn't come back.

Ken - Mine has a deep low gurgle, due to the lack of mouse holes :rat: in my exhaust. If I want to hear some gargling, I fire up the 455 Olds in my water toy. (water cooled exhaust above the water line) :twisted:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Rich,
Your spatters of black are probably excess residue from the BBS and it is getting cleaned out!

Skibum, the mice here eat Stainless Steel, and the termites eat concrete :roll:
Ken (27,900 miles)

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
i had black splatter for several hundred miles AFTER my BBS was fixed. Like Ken said, just residue from the extreme richness of the BBS situation. Eventually...it cleaned itself out and stopped doing that....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Residue From BBS

I had BBS at 7500 miles.... Dealer put on the pirated TPS.... had extra blow out for 50 miles....then none thru 12000 miles.... Very clean. This winter the whole new Throttle Body was put on.. Noticed extra soot on my first ride...lots of it...thought I might be in early stage BBS again or ridig in cold weather... the splatters are coming from the condesation I am sure but I am still concerned that it is running too rich... gas mileage down and more soot than when the bike was new... drilled pipes thinking at least I wouldn't see it ...but like some others I do still see soot only not to the degree I saw it prior to drilling... I do feel I am on a tinderbox waiting for the axe to fall and have BBS again. But until and if it happens I will ride merrily along...By the way ...in case I disn't mention it today... I looooove this bike.. :D

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
well...i too seem to be getting WORSE gas mileage than BEFORE my BBS. before BBS...i used to get 45 mpg consistantly. now...i get more like 40 or so. But...it also could be related to me drilling the pipes just after BBS fix. So now, i may be goosing the throttle more often to hear those VERY COOL exhaust notes coming out...thus reducing my mileage a bit :wink:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Rich,
\ PLEASE! Take the tech out to lunch who pirated your TPS. Let us know what it is. Is it a variable resistor? Maybe adding a small resistor would help..or, a variable resistor to "tweak" the system.

Why isnt a Honda engineer owning a Rune and on this board?

Ken (27,925 miles)

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HERE I GO AGAIN !!!!!!!!!
For over 2 years now I've had no problems with my baby.
Turn key, push start switch, and ride all day.
Last Saturday I went out for a ride with a buddy, apx 15 mins into the ride we stopped at a stop sign and I noticed the idle was real slow.
I went directly home and changed the gas out (fixed it last time)
Well that didn't do it this time
Long story short, messed with -plugs-air filter-electrical connections
She started idling fine again.
Took the wife for a ride yesterday, no problems for about 1 1/2 hours.
Then it starts again, low idle
I went right back to the house (I stayed in the local area)
This morning she wouldn't even start
I cleaned plugs again and got her to run (barely)
I've disconnected the battery to reset the ECM and will try again tomorrow
The reason I'm posting this is last time I posted about it, it went away.
I'm hoping this to shall pass.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Skibum........you are prolonging the inevitable..........
BBS.......it is HONDA shop down time.......awaiting your baby.....
the TPS can be changed out with another bike........i can't remember which one....honda tech can match it up.........and the the down time will
not be so long......waiting on parts.......
sorry to here that buddy...........

·
Registered
692 Posts
a short story.
do you know that honda is the first producer of diesel bike engine?
well
the story starts with Alberto visit to my residence for a lunch based on cooked salami a speciality of my area

Alberto arrived in the morning with his Varadero. he told me: Hannibal look at my bike, j have spark plugs problems the engine is not working properly.

we looked at the engine and really it was put pot splut and some smoke

so j told Alberto, better to change your fuel, you got a bad gasoline than you will fill with a new gasoline.

j took from the garage a small plastic tube and j started to drain the gasoline from the bike tank to a tank.

j told Alberto look that is not gasoline, this is diesel petroll :lol:

hahhahahah.

Alberto told me that before the departure from Milano he filled himself the tank. and very probabily he used a wrong fuel pipe. he told me he filled for half tank. so we presumed the bike was working 50% gasoline 50% petrol.

when the bike engine was warm it was rumbling but when the bike restarted with engine quite cold big smoke hahhahahahahhahah

ciaoooooooooooooooo
Hannibal

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
you'll know if it is BBS. it will just run worse and worse.....as it fouls the plugs...from running WAY to rich....dumping raw gas into the cylinders. Soot all over the back of the bike....impossible to keep it running.....while it still does run....VERY low power....like running on just a couple of cylinders....etc. Black smoke will POUR out of th exhuast, thus the name....Big Black Smoke, BBS.

As for Hannibal's post, TWICE Sherry has attmepted to run riding lawn mowers we have....with Kerosene. The first time, she got away with it. it ran, but with low power, lots of smoke (suspect it was a mixture in the tank of gas and kerosne). The last time she did it....apparently there was TOO much kerosene and not enough gas. It ran REAL bad, and when i stopped here while she was mowing...noticing how bad it was running....i pulled the air filter to check carbs and stuff....noticed OIL in the air filter housing. I knew that wasn't good. turns out she cracked a ring. I've always had a bunch of cans of gas, diesel and kerosene....living out on 'the farm' as we do. they've always been clearly marked. But she just didn't pay attention. Now my kerosene is in BLUE containers.....with a big "X" painted on them (i told her....if they have that X.....YOU stay away from these containers when filling the mower :roll: )....and red containers have gas. Now, i have my diesel in 50 gallon drum with a pump on it.

So....don't try running kerosene in a Rune either 8) :wink:

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rich Oas said:
John....are you starving for gas or flooding???
I think it's flooding
I do have to keep the throttle open a little to keep her running though
Runs smoother at higher RPM

I don't think I have the BBS because the problem comes and goes
I have 17500 miles on her

Well off to the dealer for a new air filter and plugs

1 - 20 of 108 Posts