Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Trailering my bike to Portland, Or my front tire keeps going flat - it went flat in the trailer I suspect that the 2 2x4's that were keeping the bike on track caused the bead to break from the rim when I had to stop suddenly. I am able to air up the tire but it only lasts a couple of days - is there an easy way to fix this without having to remove the wheel?

·
Registered
68 Posts
h'mm

i'm not convinced your problem is bead failure... i suppose its possible but doesn't seem likely... have you checked to be sure you don't have a valve stem problem? If you torqued the stem loading the bike, you could have a hairline crack thats bleeding air... or it could just be a lose valve core (wouldn't that be nice cause its easy to fix)... just about everything else like a nail or tread fracture) that could be wrong including bead failure is gonna mean pulling the wheel and tank testing it, etc.

Give us a post when you get it diagnosed so the rest of us have a heads up about possible problems... good luck

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
dcs,
Get a spray bottle with some soap and water solution and spray the areas you think may be leaking and watch for bubbles.
Good luck
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good suggestions I will give them a try - I am looking for a place to live up here and am without tools :x

·
Registered
68 Posts
what? no tools?

hey, i'm in seattle, only 3 hours from portland and if i can help you out from here, just let me know., got tools and a tire changer in my garage.... welcome to the pacific nw... always room for a rune.. :>)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys - I really appreciate the offers to help me out.

Dutch - You've got mail.

Not too many runes around here, Dutch can you imagine 2 runes riding thru downtown?

·
Administrator
6,893 Posts
my wife and i ride our Runes side by side in Montgomery all the time. You should see the looks we get :lol:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well, my new front tire only got 200 miles on it before I noticed a big chunk missing right out of the middle of the tread! Damn! I must have hit a machete on the interstate or something.

So, I had the local dealer put a goldwing Dunlop D220 on it. My great experiment of having an Avon rear tire on the front is now over. Please guys, rescind the 'whack my peepee' sentence for the Rally.

Ken

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
The Great State of New Jersey in it's infinite wisdom, hereby pardons KenCrawleySC for any and all bad decisions made regarding tire choices.

The Great State of New Jersey also bestows the honor of the 'whacking of the peepee' upon Kat. She shall be reasonable for all punishments required to keep Ken on the straight and narrow
i.e.: driving in the right hand lane @ the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Turns out we accidentally put a drywall screw into the tire - D'oh.

I have a plug in it now and will get it replaced asap

Thanks for the hand Dutch.

What is the diff between what is on there and the goldwing tire?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
the GoldWing front tire lasts longer. that is what I just put on to replace my 200 mile old Avon.

Oh, I have put together a spreadsheet to calculate the per mile cost of operating the Rune. It is about 15cents/mile at $2.35/gal gas. Would you guys like to see it? Then we could tweak it.

Ken (35,100 miles -- took the Volvo to work today :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK, that sounds better

Screw in the tire, eh? Don't worry, I'll never say I told you so... LOL, I just wasn't convinced any antics in the trailer would have resulted in a bead problem... glad to hear you are back on the road.... when you are ready to head north... post your plans and i'll show you some nifty rune rides in the area....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts