Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go under www.motorcycletires.com you will be able to find that Bridgestone makes the front tire and rear tire called the Battlax BT014 and you can get the front tire for $117.76 and the rear tire for $143.12 and it is a good looking tire in the Z rating. Bridgestone is the only other company besides Dunlop that makes a tire in the 150/60/18 :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Are you sure that the Battlax 150/60/18 tire isn't actually a rear tire also? There's a big difference between the profile of a front and rear tire of the same dimentions.
I also notice that it's designated as a 'ultra high performance sport tire'. Ultra sport tires often don't give good mileage. Good grip by far out-weighs longevity in their spec.
I hope this doesn't come over as negative. It would be great if they do turn out to be another viable alternative.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yep. more info needed. Oh, my 210 Metzeler rear tire is rubbing some. It took about 3,000 miles before I noticed. Nothing major, but, rubbing. I guess my next rear tire I will go back to a 200 size.
ken (23,050miles)

·
Swamp Rat
6,990 Posts
Ouch!!!!

I find the price interesting; I just paid $181.25 (including tax and other assorted charges) for a front Dunlap.

Ken, thanks for the 210zx50-17 info, I had marked it down for when I replaced the rear.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think the rubbing is on the swingarm. The Metzeler 210 tire has a very pronounced rim that sticks out farther than a 210 really should be. The rubbing appears to have started after I cranked up the tire pressure to about 43 psi. The way it looks, I should however, get full life out of the tire. :wink: ken (23,150miles)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ken, It's probably those high spped corners you're taking that's tweaking you're oversized mellons. Go a little slower on the way to the corner store!!!. You could attach some 60 grit sandpaper ( peel and stick ) to the spot where it's rubbing and help it wear away until you have some clearance, or air leaks, which ever comes first!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just LOVE these quality suggestions!!!! The way I take it, if I go FASTER to the corner store, the bike will quickly take care of the clearance problem without having to break the bank and go off buying sandpaper! ken :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front Tire Reply

I assumed that a 150/60/18 is that size no matter what, I will be pulling my front tire off this weekend and put the two tires together. There shouldnt be a big difference where it wouldnt work, plenty of room left under the finder. It is a rear tire but with the tread design it should work front or back. I was in the tire business for 5 years. 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Chaseman,
If you would be the guniea pig that would be great! The way i figure it, with your comment in mind, a "rear" tire has to endure the stress of accelleration and engine braking, while the "front" tire has to endure the stress of front braking and of turning... HHmmm, not much actual turning, since the gyroscopic action makes the entire bike lean.

Sooo, get that rear tire on the front axle and put some miles on it. If this comment from Bridgestone doesnt bother you:

BT014 front features new kevlar cross-belt construction for light handling, improved feedback & stability
BT014 rear features cap/base compound with new bead construction and steel mono-spiral belt technology to offer high speed stability and superior handling

And, for tread type, to be matched for front and rear, consider this comment about wet handling:

For wet conditions, the Diablo's front tire is heavily treaded to disperse standing water. The central area of the rear tire has few treads so the rubber doesn't deform much under load, but wet-weather riders needn't worry because Pirelli says the front tire clears the water for the rear.

I have about 2,000 miles to go before my front tire is ready for the artificial reef.

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
reply on front tire

I just got off the phone with the tire people and they said the actual front tire has the same tread pattern. If you go under the web site I told you about and pull up the picture for the front and rear tire in the Battlax BT014 which replaced the BT010 you will see that the tread pattern is the same. The people at the tire place say that people do it all the time.. He did say something about since it is a rear tire mount it the opposite direction but I dont know if I feel that right or not. I will know Monday when I have it mounted. Also I havent pulled up my disc for front tire removal to see how hard it is to do. Has anyone done that yet? For the comments on lasting, theres not going to be much difference in how a tire last from a v- rated to a z- rated. And there is no difference in size the guy told me. If it is a 150/60/18 thats what it is, no matter if you call it a front or rear tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: reply on front tire

chaseman said:
Also I havent pulled up my disc for front tire removal to see how hard it is to do. Has anyone done that yet?
Removal of the front tire is not too difficult just take your time when removing the front fender so you don't scratch it. It only takes about 15 min. to do.

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
I couldn't get the front fender off without first taking off the cover for the Radiator :? .

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My shop does not remove the front fender. The hang the front of the bike with straps attached to the forks. Then, they "rotate" the tire out of the fender well. No scratches and 3 front tires done.
ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
BTO-14 tires

Ken,I am looking to try these tires,have You got any further updates on performance or milage,not much has been posted in quite awhile.JD.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Go to my website
http://ken.crawley.org

under motorcycles/tire life

I am now at 39,100 miles and it looks like I have another 4000 to go before the next tire change. Look at the cents per mile column. I think that is the key for us in these times of high gasoline prices. My Volvo and Rune are a wash when gas is $2.50/gallon. It is the tire changes that kill me for having the Rune be a economical mode of transportation.
So, this means, get the cheaper front tire!

Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts