Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

On the thread "Break in oil" on the general Board it was disclosed that there is a difference between the owners manuals following Tim's (RedValk) and wife´s Runes and the owners manual following Mike's (Sermon) Rune with regard to initial oil change information.

This seems odd to me, there has been discussions on this board about the difference between CA Runes and 49 state Runes, and as I understood that discussion, both CA Runes and 49 State Runes were covered by the same owners manual , with some separate comments on the CA Rune to be disregarded of 49 state Rune owners.

Mike, you're from MD, what´s your VIN # ? - as I don't see You in the Vin list.

Any other comments ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
John,

The last 8 digits of my VIN are 4A000345. It is a 2004 model and my Owner's manual is an edition for Austrailia (not at home with a copy of my maual in front of me.) I 'll check when I get home and let you know.

Mike

·
Registered
852 Posts
Owner's Manual

Well I have my Owner's Manual in front of me and it does call for the engine oil and filter to be replaced at 600 miles. The legend says ".06 x 1,000 mi". The next change is at 8K, then 16K, then 24K. The maintenance schedule is on page #73. The manual has Honda Rune on the Cover, NRX 1800 Valkyrie Rune. The first page (not a numbered page) of the manual reads "Honda Motor Co., Ltd 2003. The fifth non-numbered page indicates a country code of "U/Australia." (haven't a clue on this one). I can copy the maintenance schedule if you would like to see it if someone can tell me how to upload it to the forum or the web.

My mechanic told me they would put fish oil in the engine oil for the break in period but they no longer use any special additives. Don't know about that either I am a commercial building contractor and not an auto or motorcycle mechanic.

·
Registered
852 Posts
John,

You are correct. It is 0.6 X 1,000 mi. Thanks .... Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think ....

Mike,

I recall having read an old post (one of the first one's) on this Board about transferring usefull information from "the old Board" (before May '04) to this Board ...

That post was on the loss of information by the transfer to this Board, and especially a copy (image file) of the owners manual was mentioned as an issue - was it by Hogslayer ?

That issue is certainly relevant and prominent in this thread.

Mike,

Are you aware of any special circumstances about your Rune or your Owners manual before your purchase - it seems a kind of odd that you're in Maryland having an australian owners manual to a what I consider must be 49 state Rune, supposed it have never been outside the borders of the US ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Must admit I looked at it once a while ago - and will check again but as I don't have my keys with me it shall have to wait till tomorrow.

I vaguely remember that the first service was 6k miles. I hope so cause I now have about 3400 on it and haven't changed the oil as yet.

My tip - keep the tyres at 42 psi!

·
Registered
852 Posts
http://www.msnusers.com/RuneServiceManual

John,

I have placed the web address for the photo of the maintenance schedule in the subject line. I purchased my Rune in Maryland on 3/11/05 from Criswell Honda. They did not have an owner's manual when I picked up my bike so they ordered me one. Picked up the manual a week later. The manual does say it was printed in 2003. As a side note, I always check new bikes to see if they have oil in them prior to purchasing and my Rune was dry, no oil and no battery. In fact this is my fifth new bike and none of them had oil in them when I purchased them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suggestion to Mike

Mike,

As I'm informed, the Rune was produced by Honda exclusively for the US and Canadian markets, but has spread to Europe, New Zealand and Australia, too (Am I right on this :?: )

It seems odd to me that you have an Owners Manual with the Logo, name etc. of Honda AUSTRALIA (Australian susidiary ?) on owners manual.

I suggest to ask your dealer about it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Owner's Manual

John,
My Owner's manual does not say it is from Honda Austrailia. Under the heading of "Welcome" in the beginning of the manual is has the following statement " The following codes in this manual indicate each country. U Austrailia. The specifications may vary with each locale." ..... Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You Mike

Mihe,

Thank You for bringing this right for me :!: - Problems with "my acceleration" :idea: , aren't there ... :lol:

·
Registered
852 Posts
John,

I am going to contact Honda to find out why my Rune Owner's manual is different from the others. Have a happy day .... Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The manual

Mike,

I looked out in the VIN list kept by Dave (MARUNE), and I fell over this announcement from Dave : http://www.runeriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=333 , which explains in detail the serial number break down.

I think that' s the explanation of what You have on Your 5th unnumbered page in Your Owners manual - I think it's a reference to the 8th character in the serial number break down.

- Mike, any news from Your dealer about Your manual ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
John,

I have not heard back from my dealer. I am taking my Rune to the dealer on Thursday to have the cooling system pressure checked and the leaks repaired. I plan on pressing him for an answer on my manual then. Hope all is well with you. ..... Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I note I have my Rune in for service at the moment and according to the service fellows, Honda advises first service at 6400km - I guess about 4000 miles for our imperial friends..

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
roger that....4k for the first one. Of course, again....i won't argue that changing fluids earlier than that sure couldn't hurt....and is probably a good idea.

but that said, i waited to 4k on mine....per the book. I know how dang CONSERVATIVE those Honda Engineers and Lawyers are. So if 4k was good enough for them...it was good enough for me too :wink:

Meanwhile, on my Valk, during my 72,000 tuneup...a major one that i let the Honda shop do....i forgot to specify synthetic oil on the change. so they put regular oil in. Man, can i HEAR the difference. Engine and tranny are much louder than they were before! i'm going back to synthetic ASAP. on my Runes...after they get past 'initial break in'....at the 12k change, i'll swap over to synthetic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts