Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
7,492 Posts
That is nuts
That's just not right
I just brought a Dunlop 251 150/60r18 (front tire) for $169.99 USD delivered to the front door.
Can't you order over the net and have it shipped?
I wonder how much it would cost to send "my brother" who is "visiting" Down Under and needs a tire?
I'll have to check on that.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Experimental Front Tire

Gents,

I just ordered a AVON AV46 160/60ZR-18 for use as my FRONT TIRE. $171
After talking with the tech for a half hour I figured I dont have anything to lose. You do have to reverse the direction of the tire however. That is for the tread splice.

The bead may be a bit tight (as per Tim's comment previously), but if it mounts and holds air, it should be fine. If it doesnt, then I have a small rear tire to plant tomatoes in. The main thing is that it is exactly the same species tire as what is on my rear, except size (190/)

So, If I dont wrap around a tree off a curve and get 9,000+ miles out of it, then you brave sorts will have a LARGER front tire as an option.

I dont mind being the g.piggie.
If any of you have suggestions on how to go thru a series of controlled tests I would appreciate input. Needless to say, I will start out easy.

First I have to mount the new rotors I bought for this 2nd front rim, oh, new front rims come with bearings already inserted!

Ken (33,700 miles)

·
Swamp Rat
6,991 Posts
OK, that is it!

I’ve had enough.

I’m calling an emergency meeting of the Executive Disciplinary Board.
This accelerated insanity has gotten out of control and drastic measures need to be immediately imposed to curtail
Kens’ reckless and irresponsible uncontrolled activities.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
shmmm,
Reckless would have been to order the tire without any consultation.
Irresponsible would be to have my girlfriend ride the bike after putting the test tire on....... :oops:

Can I get Kat to be my bailiff?

Ken (33,800 miles)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tires

I have a set of Metzeler 880 on the RUNE now.
Front is a 130/70
Rear 210/50 (do not buy, just barely fits in frame, it does touch but just a little)
They still handle nice.

The front appears to be doing pretty good, I have over 5,000 miles on it and it looks good for maybe another 3,000 (maybe).

The rear 210 is another story. It has just over 3,000 on it and it might make another 2 to 3,000 and its toast.

I have a set of 130/70 and 200/50 bridgestone Exedra (new G850/G851)tires just waiting in the wings. $90 for the front, $133 for the rear. $260 total with tax and shipping to my front door.

I remove the fenders and take the tires to the shop. Most mechanics appear to be friggin gorillas and try to hide whatever they damage. They dont care, its not theirs.
A friend took his corvette in maintenance one time at our local dealer. When he picked it up and saw the damage the mechanic said "We didnt do that, your front windshield was smashed in when you brought it here".
Hello, Mcfly!

3 Runes in Lancaster Ca. now. 2 BC and 1 blue.

25,000 mile plus as of today.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ken's tyre experiment

Ken,

You can have Kat as bailiff, furthermore I recommend that You place a sealed envelope with Your userid and Your password to this Board the same place as Your will, so Kat can give us notice, if something goes very wrong - take care - be cautious, buddy ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
tires

Ok gang,
I have over 7,000 miles on the 130/70 METZ 880 (front). It show only minor wear. It looks like it will go to 10,000 miles (or more) with no problem. The rear (210/50) METZ is another story. It has just under 4,000 miles on it and did not look to good. I am taking a trip to northern Ca. camping the weekend of the 26th.

I looked the tire and decided not to trust it to last for another 1,000 miles. Now a 200/50 bridgestone is installed. It so nice to have the blue bike lift. Up in 20 seconds, 30 minutes to take the fender/rear wheel off, then to the bike shop. $30 bucks just to mount is much better than $150 labor.

I will do another post when the front wears out and give the final outcome.

The next test will be the bridgestones!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
tires

The weight limit on the front 130/70 METZ is 600 pounds.
The rear 200/50 bridgestone weight limit is 853 pounds.
The front bridgestone that is waiting for the METZ to wear out is a 130/70,
weight limit is also 600 pounds.

The bridgestones are $260 for the pair. My removal labor, $30 a piece to mount. That sure beat $700 for stock tires and shop labor.

One thing that did surprise me. I checked tire pressure on the rear after a ride today. The exhaust cooked it up to 56PSI. Even the rim was hot.
Next time out I'll check front and rear pressure prior to and after my ride to see how much change in pressure the exhaust causes. Ill post my findings.

·
Registered
473 Posts
New Tires

Hey Guys,

Thanks for posting all your experiences with tires out here. The messages were very useful narrowing down my search and selection, especially all Ken's postings and detailed data. I just got back from a nice long mountain carving session here in Colorado. The equivalent pucker factor (EPF) shifted up at least 10-15 mph with the new tires; these are way better handling than the OE tires. I was an avid believer in the Avon Venom R on the old Valk, so I stuck with Avons. I did not want to change the tire diameter, so I looked for sizes that would fit, yet had close to the same tire diameter as OE. I ended up putting an Avon AM41 Venom R 130/70R18 on the front and an Avon AV46-ST Azaro-ST 200/50R17 on the rear, both very close to the OE tire diameters and both able to handle close to the same load as OE. I am running 40 psi front and 42 psi rear, as I had on the old Valk with the Venom Rs. I will let you know how these wear. The handling is awesome, a night and day difference over the OE set, just like the Venom Rs were on the old Valk. Thanks again for everyone sharing all the information out here so we can each benefit from the knowledge and experiences of the group instead of each of having to learn the lessons the hard way (i.e. like the 210 wearing out so fast, thanks, Ken!). Keep posting, guys!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for the info Phat6, I just didn't want to put anything on my pride and joy that didn't look right and If the tire looked too small it would have been a constant irritation to me.
So, Avons it is then :biker:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.