Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...just talked to my dealer. here are some notes.

They did some checks on the TPS...actually checking pins for voltage...and mine is toast. They confirmed it is defintiely the problem. they said my bike is all apart. they have 'critically' ordered the throttle bodies...so it's up to Honda how quickly they get the parts in. It won't take them long to put it back together when they get the part(s).

There is your update.....

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh....said that some 1000 cc sport bikes had experienced this too. ANd Honda rep told me saturday some 600 RR sport bikes had also experienced the same problem.

So it aint new to Honda....

·
Registered
665 Posts
BBS

It is my understanding that the first of us with the BBS problem had to get their Throttle Body manifold shipped in from Japan... Not sure on the 2nd person.. I believe I was the 3rd and I had the temporary fix I noted previously so my TB was here before I brought it in. If I owned Honda and knew there was a "potential" problem with these, I would for sure have a couple extras stateside with OVERNIGHT delivery so I don't delay the fix... Maybe I am wrong and they actually had extras stateside all along... Even tho mine was in when I brought the bike in last week, I still haven't heard that the work is done. Course I have 6 foot snow banks in my drive so I guess I do have time to wait... Anyway, hope you are up and on it soon Red....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cool. I guess that pretty much confirms it. If any one else has this kind of problem, makre sure the shop checks the TPS! I guess Honda needs to have a talk with one of it's suppliers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BBS update?

Tim,

What's the scoop? Any ETA on your bike being completed?

On the TPS (throttle position sensor);
If you get a chance to ask the mechanics who worked on your bike, what was the FAILED READING on the TPS and what is a GOOD READING supposed to be. We all know it was the TPS but How was this diagnosed, to say, yes the TPS has failed because it has a reading of "X"and it is supposed to be "Y". Is this Reading/Diagnoses something that is checked by a computer that is hooked up to the bike, internal onboard computer, VOM (volt, ohm, meter).....
I know some of us in the past, HS & Me for sure have had/have a problem after the bike is warm and sits for 30 mins. it has a rough idel starting back up. Did your bike exhibit these symptoms? I am wondering if this (rough idel) is or may be an early indication of BBS. My other bike does not do this (rough idel) when it is warm. If we knew what the proper TPS reading should be, it might give us some insight for things to come and we do not have to find ourselves on the side of the road with BBS.

Thanks Tim,

RuneRunner

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
urggg....still no ETA on a fix date. it's been there since 4 Jan.

They used a voltmeter and checked for voltages on pins. it was broken "open"....so all the voltage levels read ZERO. it's a check listed either in their service manual...or suggested by Honda...i'm not sure which. But they listened to my description and the info on this board....looked up the check for the TPS from Honda....and took those voltage level checks on the pins from the TPS. They said it "blew open"...meaning it was running as rich as it could possibly run. Just dumping gas into Throttle bodies. and from the black smoke and soot i saw coming out....i'd say that was pretty accurate!

·
Registered
665 Posts
TPS Output

Hope I don't confuse anyone by throwing my 2 cents worth in here.

I understood my service guy to say the specification for output was ..X.. (didn't actually tell me the number but must have gotten it from the service manual). And when he checked the one on my Rune he said it wasn't even close to reading the correct output... The way he talked I assumed he was just using a Volt/Ohm Meter.. Cuz he then went to one of the showroom racing bikes and checked it and it read dead on for what the Rune was supposed to read.... He took the one off the racing bike. He then used a very fine grinding wheel and cut a groove in the knob head on the Rune TPS attachment pins/screws and unscrewed them... off came the Rune TPS. He then screwed the racing bike tps on to the Rune Throttle Body manifold using regular screws.... It ran like a million bucks from 7500 miles until I put it up for the winter at around 12,000 miles .... now it is in the dealers to have the Throttle Bodies replaced...by Honda's order... Evidently they are not at all comfortable with having non-stock parts on the Rune... I guess it does make sense... but... if I owned Honda I would somehow make the TPS replaceable to avoid the whole Throttle Body replacement... For what it's worth.. -6 F here in Munising ...but sunny and clear.... great snowmobile weather.

·
Registered
665 Posts
And Again

OOOPS... :oops: sorry Red I was typing and didn't see your post...Anyway looks like both service guys saw the same thing.... so that good news... I suppose... Have a good day.. :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
That sux Tim. I'm going to Myrtle Beach Bike week in May and I'm glad me and my buds decided to have a chase truck with a trailer come along.
Never know when the BBS will strike! :shock:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
seems to me I would 'borrow' a tps from a Honda 1000 or 600, Tim; you just must get the bad part and see what kind of transducer is the active element in it!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Tim did your dealer say if the new TPS on the throttle body's was a updated part number or not?
Hope you get your Rune back Soon.
Todd

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope...they haven't said ANYTHING about the part. Only that it aint here. No word on when it may ship. they claim IF/WHEN the part comes in ....they can have it fixed in under a day.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Buttinski Here

Just to butt in here :lol: According to my dealer... the TPS on the Rune does not have its own part number because it is actually part of the Throttle Body manifold...which does have a part number. The TPS can NOT be replaced by itself.... It would be very interesting to have an explanation as to why what appears to be about a $20 or $30 part requires the replacement of a $1000 plus part. Just talked with my service guy and he says my bike is done... new TB and 12000 mile maintenance... Got to head out of town on my job right now so will pick it up next week.... ... :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Redvalk just an idea, it might be worth mentioning what Rich Oas's dealer did for him ie took a TPS off another model as a tempory fix ( he said it ran really good too). Your dealers mechanic may be able to do something similar, you never know. My guess is that the TPS is common to a few models

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope...no temp fix for me. I've got another Rune i can ride...and a Valk. I'll let them fix it right the first time. plus, it's winter. Freezing rain just 4 miles north of my house now! Not much riding :(

i'll just wait. I'm just keeping you guys posted so you can see how long this COULD take...if it happens to YOU!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Four weeks?

No offense,, but you are by far a more patient man than I, sir. Even though I also have a Valk to ride, I'd be calling HQ every day...relentlessly until resolution was met. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back on the almighty Rune real soon.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Waiting Game

I only have the one bike so I wouldn't be as patient as you Red... I think my impatience is the reason my service guy found a workaround with the TPS. A VERY resourseful guy. If this happens again, I'll ask him to do the same again and ride while I wait for the TB to come in. I suspect the TB for my bike was ordered sometime in December but will ask tomorrow when I go pick up my bike to get you the turn around time on my TB. My dealer didn't even let me know until the part was in there parts room that they were told by Honda that they HAD to change it out... I have said it once and will say it until I am red in the face :mad1: ... if I owned Honda I would get at least a dozen spares to a location in the US NOW so others don't have the RedValks wait.... hmmm if I owned Honda :lol:

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE.....the part is IN!!!!

OK. after four weeks and one day, the throttle body itself has arrived. So now it is just a matter (hopefully) of fixing the bike. so i MAY have my bike back by the end of the week. 4 February would mark one month.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts