Rune Rider Forums banner

Interested in Replacement Valve Covers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been negotiating and inquiring with a number of hot rod, billet and machine shops to find someone to produce custom replacement valve covers. Several of them are interested, but want a little better idea of the potential interest.

Myself, I would absolutely love to be able to have replacement options that better bring out the character of a Rune than the industrial looking covers that come on the bike.

Obviously cost is a big concern for many of us and I'm sure we all have different ideas about what we would really want style-wise.

Let me know your thoughts on this and just maybe I can get us some classy and reasonably priced alternatives.

Dirk Carnahan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Were there going to be different styles you think? I know I want to get away mostly from the Identifier HONDA on the side.

Greg

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can make the HONDA less obvious by removing the black lettering, use lacquer thinner and Q-Tips, comes right off and doesn't damage the chrome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've removed the black paint. It does look much better, less like a billboard.

I understand that companies who make a great product want people to know where it comes from. Personally I just don't like having the brand stamped all over it. The first thing I did with my new Viper was remove all of the 'Dodge' emblems from it.

I think the valve covers themselves do not match the style of the bike. Waaay too square on a bike that is all about curves. However, coming up with a more rounded design is probably something that won't happen. In all likelihood we are talking about something very, very similar to the stock covers with a ball milled or some type of design (flames etc) on the covers instead of the big block-lettered industrial HONDA.

Dirk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks slayer for the tip. As for flames, or other designs like that I would definitley look itno buying.

Greg

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
i was biting my tongue on this ....

....and have for some time....with a LOT of other posts that speak of removing the Honda emblem. But me personally, I LOVE having the Honda logo on it. I am PROUD to prominently display it...so when all those folks asking....ESPECIALLY the Harley guys....i can just point to the Honda logo. i've personally never understood folks that want to take that off? There's a ton of those folks over on the Valk board. I don't get it with that bike either? when someone asks, do you deny it is a Honda?

But...i'm not judging or arguing. Just saying i'm a 180 out....i WANT that Honda emblem on there. And i want the Rune emblem on so much...i have it on my pivot arm covers....on my knockoff...on my master cylinder covers...etc.

But....that's what makes the world go around :wink: Different strokes........ and come to think of it, i did remove THAT tag from my mattress that said "do not remove, under penalty of law"! :wink: 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am proud that the Rune is a Honda as well. Anyone who asks - I gladly tell them so. For me it isn't that I want to hide the fact that the Rune is a Honda, it is simply that I dislike all of the branding that companies do to their products. It just looks much cleaner without Honda on the valve covers, neck, rear fender, side covers etc. I always remove dealership stickers and such from new vehicles. They weren't designed to be covered with stickers and such. There is a reason why vehicles at autoshows aren't presented with the company name plastered randomly about. A car or bike isn't designed with the company logo all over it. It just looks better and cleaner when that is minimalized. Like the tasteful Rune script on the tank. That is enough to identify what the bike is.

Also a valve cover with flames or a ball milled design would just look so much better than the OEM covers to me.

Like you said, different people have different tastes. We listen to people everyday who either love or hate the Rune. I'm going to have a set made for me. I'm just trying to guage the interest so that if there are enough of us I can have it done much more cheaply and probably with higher quality.

See you at the Rally.

Dirk

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
now i did remove tank stickers(always do that), the one on the drive shaft cover...and i did remove the decal on the rear fender. Guilty as charged on those :oops: i've never bought a bike that had a dealer sticker on it....though i've seen cars with that.

But i've got the RUNE logo on the bike no less than 7 times! And of course the Honda letters on the side covers and on the valve covers.

guys on the Valk board also slam folks if there vanity plate has the word Valk in it...like that's some kind of sin 8) My wife's plate says "MY RUNE". So she's guilty of that 'sin' too.

you know i'm just giving you a hard time...sort of...but definitly in good spirit. :wink:

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Rune Logo is on each side of the tank...have you added Rune decals in other locations? The tank is the only place I remember seeing the Rune logo.

On the Vanity plates...I like MY RUNE, MARUNE, etc. I've got a plate in mind that will include the word RUNE too. Of course I love your RADICAL plate ... wish I had gotten to that one before you! :lol: hahaha

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
every item i ever got from Ultimate machie (pivot covers x2, reservoir covers x2, rear wheel knockoff), i always have RUNE engraved on it. That's my "theme" for the bike.......

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
i'm not sure? They haven't been "answering the mail" here lately. I asked them about making something weeks ago....and they never responded to the post?

·
Swamp Rat
6,989 Posts
I just spoke with TomTom and they are all fine and happy.

At the moment they are not taking anymore orders for Rune after market accessories just now; they may again in the future.
Tom Jr. said Ultimate Machining was selling the Rune after market division to another fabricator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts