Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was wondering, based on all you guys who've entered motorcycle shows, what does it take to either place or win? Although I'm asking in general terms, for any bike, not just the Rune, but in your opinion could a bone-stock Rune win or place? Or does one have to spend thousands of bucks in accessories, chrome or paint jobs?? Do you have to be one of the first ones registered or does it depend on the show itself or who you know? Is there such a thing as fairness. I realize this is a very broad question that may spark many opinions, but I wanted to hear of your experiences involving entering motorcycles in judged shows. I'm sure there are politics invovled.

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Bill,
Hi, I won first place twice in the Valk judging at Americade in '02 and '03, won 2nd best of show in '03, two points out of 400 separated us. At Americade they judge every thing. Style,paint,accessories etc. and how the bike is presented. But mosty it's gotta be CLEAN :!: :!:
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
i think it depends on the the show/which bike judging you have entered. Like Runeski mentioned, some are run very fair and professionaly. Like Americade, Honda Homecoming, etc. Those actually have quality judges who are looking for specific things....with a 'list' they are grading on. VERY fair and professional overall...though judges personal choice/opinions of course could come into play. I took second place in "Wash and Wax" class at Honda Homecoming one year with my Valk. Like Rich said, it was just VERY clean....and chromed out like many have done.

Now on the other hand, i've also 'competed' in shows where "rat bikes" won because it was a Peoples CHoice....and the Rat bike had more friends or buddies voting for their bike. I've seen some REAL BS at some of these so called "Bike Shows".

I stay away from People's CHoice most of the time. I've seen too many BS results. I like shows where trained people from the motorcycle industry grade off of a checklist .....that's about as fair and impartial as they can probably get.

Bottom line, at some local show....People's CHoice....you could have your stock Rune beat out by some "nothing" bike.....that had a bunch of his buddies vote for his bike. I've seen it happen plenty of times to others...and had it happen to me a time or too. It's aggravating and BS.

In fact, i just got back from the Honda Hoot. The show was pretty much a joke...not that many bikes in it...only one Rune (Corbins demo bike)....and it was the dreaded Peoples Choice. That's why i elected not to even enter....didn't want the aggravation.............

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checklist?

Thanks for the insight. Is there any place on the web where I might go to see a sample of this so-called checklist that judges use in a quality bike shows? Is the checklist generic or does the criteria change from show to show? Outside of the bike having to be glistening, I just can't figure out what else a judge could be looking for?

·
Administrator
6,892 Posts
i've never seen the checklist posted....but i've seen them using one and scoring off of it....going thru it (and the bike) meticulously. At one show down at Daytona...the 10,000 Valk Show Honda put on several years ago....they were even doing things like inspecting the BOTTOM of the engine for cleanliness....the swingarm area....using an inspection mirror to look BEHIND your carb intakes to see if you had cleaned in EVERY nook and corner. They were VERY thorough!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Jersey Boy
2,765 Posts
Bill,
At Americade they take their fingers and wipe them under the fenders,like Tim said, they stoop and lay down and look under the engine,around the frame, behind the side covers and in all the small places you would not think to look.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts