Rune Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience with the following:
I have to store my Rune for a few months due to a fallen tree into my garage. The storage unit I’m using does not have electricity and the Rune has a Scorpion security unit that will drain the battery within 3 days without a trickle charger so I had to pull the battery. So my question is; what are the long-term affects on the ECU without power for 3-4 months?

-Ollie

·
Registered
990 Posts
Does anybody have experience with the following:
I have to store my Rune for a few months due to a fallen tree into my garage. The storage unit I’m using does not have electricity and the Rune has a Scorpion security unit that will drain the battery within 3 days without a trickle charger so I had to pull the battery. So my question is; what are the long-term affects on the ECU without power for 3-4 months?

-Ollie
I have no first hand experience with the actual question at hand here Ollie, but my gut instinct and/or common sense is telling me the ECU will suffer ZERO consequence due to long term storage w/o a battery connected. It's internals would be permanent unless/until someone were to connect it to a computer with a programming device to change things internally. RAM vs ROM sort of stuff that is so far ago in my memory, I can't pull up the current correct acronym right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
"So my question is; what are the long-term affects on the ECU without power for 3-4 months?"

NONE, your ecm/ecu can return to it's base line data points or factory set parameters.

I've had my battery out for up to 7 months for it's short winter nap. Al pulled his as well for the short Canadian winters he had in sunny Canada.

I allow the bike to gather the data from the sensors on it's first start up once the battery is reinstalled. I install the battery and leave off the accessories I have installed until later. I start the bike and leave the throttle and all else alone and let the bike get up to normal operating temp and for the fans to kick in and cycle at least once before I touch/change or adjust anything.

I also remove the fuel just incase (I use good clean tested fuel prior to storage with a stabilizer) and add back a couple of gallons of good new premium without that corn juice sh!! and mix in well to what is left from removing the old fuel and top off. Yep! over kill maybe, better safe than trying to find Rune parts or paying for them.

Sorry about the damage to your place!

Reactions: Afghanpilot

·
Administrator
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"So my question is; what are the long-term affects on the ECU without power for 3-4 months?"

NONE, your ecm/ecu can return to it's base line data points or factory set parameters.

I've had my battery out for up to 7 months for it's short winter nap. Al pulled his as well for the short Canadian winters he had in sunny Canada.

I allow the bike to gather the data from the sensors on it's first start up once the battery is reinstalled. I install the battery and leave off the accessories I have installed until later. I start the bike and leave the throttle and all else alone and let the bike get up to normal operating temp and for the fans to kick in and cycle at least once before I touch/change or adjust anything.

I also remove the fuel just incase (I use good clean tested fuel prior to storage with a stabilizer) and add back a couple of gallons of good new premium without that corn juice sh!! and mix in well to what is left from removing the old fuel and top off. Yep! over kill maybe, better safe than trying to find Rune parts or paying for them.

Sorry about the damage to your place!
Thanks for the good info. At least I’ll get a new man-cave from the insurance payout. 👍

-Ollie

·
Registered
770 Posts
Now that's funny right there. I'm guessing 517 is attempting to goad me, and it worked...

Some winters I have pulled the batteries; sometimes I charge them in the bike. No difference, except I need to reset the odo to Kms.
Batteries seem to do better if I top them off monthly, rather than leave them on trickle.

skip

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now that's funny right there. I'm guessing 517 is attempting to goat me, and it worked...

Some winters I have pulled the batteries; sometimes I charge them in the bike. No difference, except I need to reset the odo to Kms.
Batteries seem to do better if I top them off monthly, rather than leave them on trickle.

skip
I use a two week cycle on the batteries. Bike a Canadian one? USA default to miles, Canada specific default to Kms?

GOAT, how the hell did this get to be about GOATS.........:cool:

goat.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Goad, dammit; not goat (whatever...)

Nope, I think all Runes default to Kms. I've shown a few Canadian Rune owners how to switch their bikes back to Kms after a battery swap.
Shudda just told them to look up page #25 in the owner's manual. But who (besides you and me) reads 'em?

skip

·
Registered
79 Posts
Goad, dammit; not goat (whatever...)

Nope, I think all Runes default to Kms. I've shown a few Canadian Rune owners how to switch their bikes back to Kms after a battery swap.
Shudda just told them to look up page #25 in the owner's manual. But who (besides you and me) reads 'em?

skip
from utter post "Some winters I have pulled the batteries; sometimes I charge them in the bike. No difference, except I need to reset the odo to Kms. "

------

Dude, I'm getting old, WTF😎 which way is it? Or am I reading it wrong. It is a day that ends in Y so I can be wrong, yet again! I do limit myself to 10 times a day now, before noon.

Edit: I see you updated as I posted(y)

The GOATs name is Canada JimBob, not dammit. Why will the board allow dammit without moderator approval, but sh!! needs approval.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts