Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone;

Someone on this board has a brakeaway throttle lock on their Rune that they had chromed. The normal one comes in a polished metal finish but I'd like a chromed unit. I talked to the company and told them that if they chromed some of there units they'd most likely sell many more. They weren't sure they could. However, they will come out with a unit next Monday that is part black and part chrome which I have pictures of. I asked them to make slip rings which fit over the Rune's grip. Most bikes have a smaller grip They made only 10 slip rings as a special order for the Rune. Anyway, the guy Bryan who works there said one of YOU had one of their units chromed after you received it on his own and it was a bit troublesome because of the tight tolerances between the moving parts. Anybody know who this person is?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm on vacation (Islamorada in FL Keys), but i think i met that guy on the NOrthern CA Yosemite ride earlier this year. i can't think of his name of course but i have his card somewhwer at the house (in Seattle). will post when i get home. also know a chromer in area who is slow but reasonably priced... incidently, went fishin yesterday and goin scuba diving today. Later,
CY

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dave

I have one but it is not chrome. When I contacted the owner about getting a chrome one he said he had done 2 for the Rune guys and has no plans to do any more. When I got mine I sanded it down (tried to bead blast the paint off) but couldn't. I then polished it up real nice and it looks good. Having it chrome after you get it might me the only way.

Adrian

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose that you'd recommend not doing it (chroming it) unless I've got lots of hair that I'm willing to let be pulled out? If I do chrome it, do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
378 Posts
It can be done

There are several issues with chroming it but it can be done. Its difficult to take apart, they really swag some parts in tight and it takes some really good effort to get the thing apart, especially the plastic pieces, but with a good punch and vise it does come apart. I had one of the 4 screws holding the clamp ring snap and had to have it drilled out and re-tapped.

Since I don't have the parts list in front of me I can't recall the exact names but when I had it done I had to tap and drill two new holes in the bottom piece so make the clamp tighter so it would hold the throttle sleeve. These are tiny parts and frustrating to work with, but if you have the patient's and time I think its worth while.

My preference is to have the manufacture make them in Stainless Steel and electro polish it but its going to take lots of us to get after them.

There you asked for my two cents and now you have it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brand New Brakeaway Throttle Lock!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Here's the original brakeaway throttle lock in the first pic. It's the polished metal look that they've had for awhile. The company has just received a special custom order of 30 of these black and chrome ones of which only 10 have the slip ring made for the Rune handlebars. For those of you with one of the originals already, what do you think of the new design? They will sell them starting on Monday. You won't find this on their website so these are the only pics you see of them unless you ask.
Give me some feedback guys, I'm really interested in your opinion here. :idea:

Diver Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts