Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering :roll: How many of us that have this marvelous bike called Rune rode the Valkyrie prior?
Rich K ( Rune Ski )
I still have my 98 Std. yellow, cream and chrome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I went from a 2000 Valkyrie standard with the full Givi hard bag setup to a 2004 GoldWing, to the Rune. I guess I'm just a flat-six kinda guy! :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAD A BEAUTIFUL RED AND WHITE VALK I BOUGHT IN 1997. I BOUGHT THE FIRST ONE IN ORANGE COUNTY. IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME. BACK THEN IT GOT THE LOOKS THAT THE RUNE GETS NOW. I SOLD MY 84' GOLD WING TO GET IT. WAITED 9 MONTHS AND BOUGHT IT SIGHT UNSEEN AS I DID THE RUNE. SOLD THE VALK AND BOUGHT A BMW 1200 LT AND THEN BOUGHT A O3' ROAD KING. GOT RID OF THE BMW 1200LT AND BOUGHT A BMW 1200GT WHICH I STIL HAVE. BOUGHT THE RUNE AND GOT RID OF THE ROAD KING . WILL KEEP THESE TWO BIKES BECAUSE THEYARE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. REALLY DID LOVE THAT VALK.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Bought A 97 red and white in 98 sold it after I bought the Rune due to lack of storage space, still miss it! but I LOVE my Rune :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Still have my 99 Interstate. 80,000 miles and going strong including a solo 12,000 mile trip to Alaska. If i had one bike-this would be the one no matter how much i love my Rune.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
you know the answer to that question in my case Ski. I've still got my 97 red and white Tourer i bought in 97. right at 72k miles on it. Still love the bike. Still looks brand new...like the day i bought it (but with about 4-5k in chrome and goodies on it!). Oh yea, still runs like the day i bought it too!

Oh....and it sounds BETTER than the Rune...since it has the MarkT glasspacks on it. Come on Rivco....we need that after market exhaust for the Rune!

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
Adrian....

didn't you also own a Boss? Isn't this you racing Warren from Atlanta at InZane (you're on the dark colored Boss....Warren on the yellow one) on the Theresi Dyno truck?

you're on the left....i think that's you....

isn't that you? I kept thinking your name was West....but when i put these pictures in a post up on the BBR board just yesterday (thread called tell us your memories from the VRCC)...i couldn't remember for sure your name. I'm betting it's your Boss......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tim

That was me at InZane. I sure had a great time and the Boss Hoss folks have no clue how to have a good time like the Valkyrie folks do.

Adrian

·
Registered
54 Posts
I still have my `99 Valk Standard, currently set-up in bagger mode with Honda Line windshield, MarkT glasspacks (Thanks Mark, for a great product!), ****-O-Pegs (and thank you too, Jim) and other miscellaneous goodies. It is Pearl Orange/Black (and don't forget the chrome). I purchased it new, late summer of 2001 and now have over 32K miles on her. It too, is a great machine. Just purchased my new Rune last month. Put 500 miles on her and parked her for the winter on Thanksgiving...darn it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Valk to Rune via Wing

Hi folks;

I had a black & green '98 tourer then got the hots for the Rune when it was first getting press. I tried to "discount" my way into owning one by taking a part-time job selling bikes @ a Honda dealership. After realizing the meager discount I would get on the Rune I was so out of my skull that I went for an '03 Wing in Illuaion Blue (and actually was the sales guy to sell my old Valk ~ was that fitting! I enden up throwing away all of my magazine articles about the Rune and just wrote-off ever owning one, enjoyed my Wing immensly ... until one day about a month ago in November. I was in the dealership working on setting up a charity ride for a kids' rehab center I used to work for and having it leave out of the dealership when I noticed they had dropped their Rune's price by $7K! I had to go home to change my drawers ... then I called my old boss and negotiated my deal. I cashed in some "old gold" and had my black Rune in less than a day. I hid it in the garage under the Wing's cover so no one would suspect (it looked like my Wing was an old man in someone elses suit) - but it went un-noticed 'till I could cook up a believable story. My wife bought my tale but I had to promise to put in a hardwood floor in exchange ~ no sweat there. Now, the only problem I have is coming back up to speed with the changes I need to make ~ and I could kick myself for dumping all those old issues of Rune pieces in mags. Love that boxer 6 engine and I still can't believe I have my Rune ~ after having given up the idea 6 months ago. Best bike I've ever ridden ~ and that's after 35 years and a couple of miles of rough road. :D

Wish I could figure out how to add pics to this, though. Both the Valk and the Wing were nicely done.

NH Bill 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh Yeah, still got my 2000 Tourer

Youve heard me mention it a few times... still got my 2000 Tourer, 87000 miles. And i'll hang onto it for a while, been to InZane twice and rode it from Seattle and also to Laughlin 3 times + a ton of other rides from Jasper to Lake Havasu... great bike.. and i'll hang on to it... may ride it to Inzane again in 05 or maybe the Rune... don't know yet...

Later, Cy

·
Registered
486 Posts
The original Hog Slayer! I bought my 99 std new, to date the best bike I've owned. She's far from stock. Black with Purpleen Chrome Illusion flames, Memphis Shades windshield, 6 deg trigger wheel, K&N breather,
carbs shimmed and jetted, Mark-T's glasspacks, Corbin saddles, National Cycle hard bags, Aeromach velocity stacks, VTX headlight, Motolights,
and more mods and bolt-on chrome than I care to type. Ah yes, when I put Aeromach mirrors on my Rune, I put the stock Rune mirrors on the Valk. Lots of show trophies!
When I bought my Rune, they ask me to trade-in my Valk, I laughed hard! For one, she's my two-up ride, so I can haul booty around and I LOVE that Valk. It's a great all-around bike, she can drag, she can tour, she can do it all. Right now if came down to getting rid of one them, without hesitation the Rune would go.

·
Administrator
6,928 Posts
NH Bill

....to post pics...go to the "Support and Testing" board here at this site. It will explain posting pics in GREAT DETAIL! Don't want to retype it all here :lol:

Just do a search on posting pics........

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you have a stock valkyrie and a stock Rune, the Rune handles better on curves. If you put Progressive fork springs and shocks on the Valkyrie it would handle almost as good as the Rune. For long distance touring, my vote goes to the Valkyrie.

·
Jersey Boy
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
H.S
Yes,your correct. I also installed the front progressive springs and the 440 progressive shocks. Good set up. I installed Chets lowering kit for the drivers peps and I emit peg sparks around the twisties. I run Avon Venoms and she handles like a dream.
Rich K ( Rune Ski )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts