Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--made Sticky post on 3 Jan per member request/Tim--

Got sick of trying to read the tiny wiring diagram in the back of the service manual, so I printed the damn thing out on my plotter. Now I can read it. Next step: colour.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Someone needs a life,or a part time job! Excellent work! U Da Man!!!! Maybe after completion everyone gets one. Or some easy way to down load and enlarge. Color is the Key. Put me on the list.........................Thanks. dog

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
thats my size.......... now thats a size schematic anyone can read.........

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm getting some requests for copies. I need to check how much it will cost to mail tubes into the US. If it's not too bad, I should be able to mail out copies to those that want them. If you have access to a large-format printer and a full copy of Acrobat, you can blow up and print the page from the service manual by using the "Fit to Printer Margins" option.

Anyway, if you do want a copy, you might want to wait a bit. I'm trying to update the diagram with colour-coded wiring, which should make it a lot easier to read; however, the program I'm using is behaving badly, so I've got a bug report into the developer. I'll post how I'm making out.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not planning to sell these. If the postage isn't crazy, I'll just mail them to those that want one. I expect folded in a large envelope will be a lot less than a tube, but let me check first.

Update

Canada Post is nuts: they want $25 to mail the drawing in a tube. I still have to check how much they want for an envelope.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken:

I extracted the page from the service manual pdf file: that way I didn't need to worry about artifacts created by a scanner.

If you want the black-and-white version, you can just select the page size you want, select "Fit to Printer Margins", and print the page to the plotter. That's all I did to create the drawing shown in the picture.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Al.......i would be glad to send 25 bucks your way .........

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First let me see about colour-coding the wiring. That's starting to look like a pain, but I sent a request to the drawing program's developers asking for them to enhance the line tool. The program allows me to draw striped wires, but only white stripes, e.g., I can draw a blue wire with a white stripe but not a blue wire with a black stripe.

I'm thinking the following may be the best way to handle distribution:
  • If you are willing to live with a folded version mailed in a big envelope, I can eat the postage.[/*:m:235swmk9]
  • If you want an unfolded version mailed in a tube, you'll have to pay for the postage. Unless you're planning to frame or mount the diagram, this option is probably overkill.[/*:m:235swmk9]

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
folded will suffice............
thanks Al.......

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I've got the drawing open in Illustrator, and I can individually move lines and objects, but when I try to change the colour of one line, multiple lines all over the drawing change to the new colour. Does anyone out there know what's happening and how to prevent it?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Al,

It sound like a layer color. In a drawing all objects on a layer have the same properties. See if you can change the layers off and on to see what objects are effected. Then you can change them to different layers or modify that layers properties.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Q:

Thanks for the hint. For some reason, this drawing seems to have hundreds of layers. I'll see if I can figure out how to edit the colours of individual lines.

You know you're in trouble when the user manual is 567 pages (electromagnetism including 3D calculus requires 240 pages). As with most Adobe software, "intuitive interface" just isn't in the specifications. If Illustrator doesn't pan out, I'll revert to my original plan and try OmniGraffle.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hey Al,

What is the default file extension on the drawing? Is it a .dxf or something more compatible with a real CAD program?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The extension is pdf, which should be good for Illustrator since that's its native format. Don't forget, I don't have access to the real source file: only Honda engineers have that.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I was hoping that there was a converter for the drawing is all.. .pdf is very locked down by design. Sometimes there are other formats available of the same document. :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I think I have the diagram figured out. I had to break all the compound paths for the wires without breaking the paths that form letters etc. As Tara points out, I'll now have to colour each wire and node, so it may take me a little while. Every time I have a spare hour or two I'll work on it. Should be done by end of month. I've done all the green ground wires, and even that makes the diagram easier to read. For yuks, I coloured the signal lights amber and tail lights red.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
asacuta said:
OK, I think I have the diagram figured out. I had to break all the compound paths for the wires without breaking the paths that form letters etc. As Tara points out, I'll now have to colour each wire and node, so it may take me a little while. Every time I have a spare hour or two I'll work on it. Should be done by end of month. I've done all the green ground wires, and even that makes the diagram easier to read. For yuks, I coloured the signal lights amber and tail lights red.

i had faith in ya...........Al

1 - 20 of 94 Posts