Rune Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the riding season approaches here in the northeast and guess what...the Rune won't start. I'm don't think I am overlooking something obvious i.e. the run/stop switch or being in gear. All it does is click when I try and start it. The battery is charged, the bike is in neutral and it won't turn over. Anyone have any starter problems with their bikes yet? I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow but who knows when they'll be able to get me in. Everyone and their mother are making appointments with service depts. this time of year! Any suggestions? I may try and roll start it just to make sure it will run. That is if I can get someone to help me push that big boy! I am not pleased :x

·
Registered
347 Posts
Battery and Flat six'S

Guess what, I just have had the very same problem this morning with my other flat six Baby, Carrera4 cab...clic...clic...clic no start !!
Dead battery (4 years).
After a new one, VROOM VROOM, and top down, and a nice drive under the sun by the Riviera...
Don't let a piece of equipment (plastic ?...) mess with pleasure !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may try replacing the battery, but your battery is 4 years old Hipsy, I just got this bike last July. I have tried starting with the clutch lever in also. Thanks for the suggestions. I just made an appointment for Saturday at the service dept. I'll be trying to start it all week though!

·
Administrator
6,931 Posts
my guess is that possibly the bike sat around at the dealer for a year or so....without being run. That's hard on a battery. One of my local dealers said after 6 months of sitting on the showroom floor, they finally disconnected the battery on their Rune. and that bike....which has been sitting there since Jan or Feb of 04...is STILL SITTING THERE!!!

So that battery in your Rune could be MUCH older than you think.......

·
Registered
347 Posts
new old battery...

Well if that what happen at dealership, I must be ready to change mine pretty soon. I am pretty sure the my bike sat for many months before coming to me...
I will ask the dealer about it.
Question, is it covered under the regular 3 Y warranty ?

BTW does every Rune comes with a minimum 3Y warranty or do you have to pay extra for it ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep !!

Exactly what I did to drive to the porsche dealership to get my new battery, hoping not to have the engine dying on the way for what ever reason ( I was very short on petrol and could not stop to refuel....)
But made it fine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys were right, it was the battery. I had put a volt meter on the old one but I guess it still wasn't strong enough. I had thought of that Redvalk that it probably sat around for some time on the showroom floor so you are probably right about that. The sales manager told me the battery is covered under warranty since the bike is less than a year old. As far as the three year standard warranty on the bike, somehow I don't think they would cover past a year on something like that. The bike does have three year warranty standard, Hipsy. I went for the seven year on mine. No worries! Good till 2011. Thanks again for the forum support, you guys are all over it! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Battery seating in show room

Hi,
My dealer told me my Rune sat for a year in the show room and the battery was recharged once a months...at least that what they said they did, we shall see over time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Battery

Hey Jacque.... Bike is in the mail.. Your dealer told me the same thing about your bike. I have found them to be very upfront and honest. They have a pretty good reputation to protect... My bike sat for a year on the floor also... no battery problem...yet. By the way Jacque... my bike is 528 yours is very close to that number and is the same bike... and purchased just 65 miles from each other... You might say we are related in a way. :shock:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Twin Runes

Rich,
Interesting to realize our bikes most probably spent time next to each other at the building plant floor. Same mecanics took care of them on the production line.
Chances that we may experience the same type of mecanical development are quite high.
Let me know if you have had any specific issues.
BTW, I agree with you Cycle City team have been very nice in the al process. They even mention that if I had some warranty need they will look at possible ways to assist me!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sibling Bikes

I almost hate to say it Jacque but I am one a handful of folks that has had the Big Black Smoke problem.... at 7500 miles it happened. The entire trottle body manifold including the Throttle Position Sensor (which was the culprit) had to be replaced... Fortunately my fealership mechanic took a TPS from a racing bike with fuel injection and got me running ...and it ran very good I might say.... Ran well until the Throttle Bodies came in... I don't sibling bikes are the issue but maybe there is a common number on the bad Throttle Position Sensors. Mine is gone now so hard to tell.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sib bikes

I also need to realign my headlight it is targeted too high... and the front blinkers are not in alignment ...and the handle bars are off center just a bit... Every Rune I have seen on the dealer floors has all these same issues... I suppose one could say these things were planned impefections so the bike will never be able to be forged but my guess is as Jacque states...Same people doing the same things. A true production machine. I love it and all its imperfections...

·
Registered
347 Posts
hand made machine...

May I say it's kind of scary, apart from aligning couple of things I guess I can't do to much about it now.

BBS is a real concern. I am not going to feel good for sometime now at least for 7500 miles....
I wish we could have some kind of manufacturer report on BBS problem. Do you know if Honda ever really look at problem cause ? or did it happen to so few machines that they are not spending the money to find out the malfunction origin?

If it ever happen I will have to see if Honda Austria, only Eurpean country to carry the Rune, would take care of it...if not I may have to send it back to US or Canada

·
Registered
665 Posts
BBS Problem

Honda Motorcycle knows at the highest levels about BBS.... altho they don't say what the root cause of the problem is.... replacing the Throttle Position Sensor does a 100% fix.....they do know that.. Whether they had some TPS's with a defect that was a ticking time bomb in some bikes.... or a defect that allowed water into the TPS and shorted it out... or something else... probably something quite simple.... but the fact that a TPS replacement on mine made me happy and yet Honda insisted on my dealer putting on the complete Throttle Body tells me they know exacltly what is causing this.... I am a bit surprised that with this happening they wouldn't have a Technical Service Bulletin out to have all the bikes checked for the defect. The have the old parts from several Runes and I am sure they know of the actual defect. If they are plugging their ears and tip-toeing throught the TPS mine field hoping no more TPS' go off they are taking a big chance with Public Relations...Cuz we all know that they know there is a problem. But you know what... I loooooovvvvveee this bike. :biker:

·
Swamp Rat
6,991 Posts
I’m a confirmed wimp; I don’t ride in the rain unless I unfortunately get caught.

For what is worth I give the Rune a complete baht frequently and my routine is always the same.
After a good soaking I ride it 12 to 14 miles, on the interstate, at 80 mph to dry it off.
I’ve done this at least 40 times with, to date, no ill effects.

I’m not likely the only one that uses this practice and so I have to wonder if water is the problem.

Too, if the Throttle Bodies being replaced are not of the original design, because of an identified flaw,
I wonder why Honda has not given their Dealers a heads-up.

Conversely if the replacements are not redesigned and the dilemma stems from a mystery source,
in the long run what is accomplished if that is the only remedy offered?

As Rich says "loooooovvvvveee this bike." :biker:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.